sonar gps combo advise

Waynes World

I am looking for some input on the purchase of a gps sonar combo for under a grand. It has to be able to communicate with a raymarine autopilot s1000 which probably means it has to have a nmea 2000 connection. I have previously used lowrance and am looking to change. I fish lake Ontario.I f any one has a unit their looking to unload I may be interested.Thanks, Wayne

I have the elite 7. I know there has been allot of talk about this unit and some of it not so good. But I love it, it was a huge step up for me from my ol aedile ultra 2 plus. I got the navionics premium charts and it is sweet

I have the elite 7. I know there has been allot of talk about this unit and some of it not so good. But I love it, it was a huge step up for me from my ol aedile ultra 2 plus. I got the navionics premium charts and it is sweet

could you elaborate on the negative? i was looking at the untit and only can find positive reviews

I havent found any yet. others have said that the screen will shut off unexpectedly at times. Others have said that the base mapping doesnt seem to work. I have had no issues at all

• 4 weeks later...

I have a lowrance hds7 touch Gen 2 on my 24' trophy I troll in the lake with and love it. However I'm setting up my small boat to run the rivers this winter, and I put a raymarine dragonfly with chirp technology and my pictures are insanely clear. The down scan feature is second to none to clarify exactly what is down there. I bought the 5.7 inch and its prefect for the small boat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I also have the Elite 7 HDI and love it, I always had Hummingbirds and was sceptable about the reviews, but lowrance had a $100.00 rebate and Cabelas marked off a $100.00 so I got a $700.00 plus unit for under $550.00. Lowrance says it only takes the premium plus mapping, but someone on here said they loaded the platinum card, so I called lowrance and they said it can be done, so I bought the platinum chip and they walked me through it and it works great, I couldn't be more pleased with mine, the down scan is clear and I can run 25mph without loosing the bottom, 10-15 mph for looking for fish is no problem!! I never had an issue with it. One thing is I think it takes a long time to lock onto the satellites like a minute or two, as soon as the ducer is in the water I turn it on and buy the time guys park the trailer and hop aboard its ready to go. PAP.

• 4 weeks later...

I also tried the HDS7 touch and I am very impressed. I set up the network to a new Yamaha 4 stroke and have all the engine info displayed on the screen. No need for expensive Yamaha Command link. The variable trolling speed function is not available on the HDS7 but that is easily had by hooking a appropriate switch to the connector that is there for the VTS. Works great. After replacing my 2 stroke I did not need to by any gauges as it is all on the display.

I was just on Lowrance web site and they are coming out with the elite series with the new chirp!! It showed the difference between the HDI and the chirp quite impressive!!! The new Elite 7 Chirp looks awsome, I wish I would have waited another year, but with technologies going the way it is I truly believe every year will be a new and better idea from the top manufacturers of fish finders. Good luck, but I would look into the chirp program buy lowrance.