How big does it have to be to go to taxidermist?

fbg14619

I've never had one mounted but have caught many over 10 and a few over 11.  I fish areas where a 10 isn't uncommon, so for me It would have to be over 13 and then I'm not sure if I wouldn't just take a photo and release it. I catch many eaters on the river so generally release the big girls after a quick photo.

However, on some bodies of water a 10 would be a fish of a lifetime, Whatever makes you happy is what I would say. When I was guiding I had clients mount 8 lb. fish. 

Depends on where you fish, up there many fish landed are over 10 lbs, on onieda well the bar gets lowered. On the east end of lake Ontario I have caught them up to 12.5 lbs but mounted a 11 lbr because it had a muc better story. For the spring opener we had several over 10 lbs in one day, I don't think the wife would approve of one of those stringer mounts.cha ching Well she thinks a deer mount is only 125.00 hahaha Trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by bettieanne

As posted above, the trophy is up to the individual. Size does not have to be the determine factor, It could be the story behind the catch or that special person who was with at the time. I have a walleye mounted it is 12 3/4 # and 36" long, that fish came out of Canada, even if it wasn't of trophy size I would of mounted it because of the story behind the catch, I just got lucky and I got the best of both worlds. I caught that fish, with the last trip to Canada my father was going to make, as he just couldn't make the long journey any more so I was blessed to have "DAD" particapate in one heck of a tackle busting, net ripping battle which we thought was a nice size northern. Lots of times that story comes up in reminiscing old times, with my uncles and the guys that were on that trip.

I agree with Kevin, over 13 and I'd need to believe in my mind that the fish was on its last year of life, otherwise she would go back in the water. I have too much respect for these fish making it that far only to have me be the one to end it.

Agree with above on depending what lake. I fish Lake Ontario and bay of quinte exclusively and in only 5 years of trophy walleye fishing have caught probably 20 fish over 10 lbs and seem probably close to a hundred. I've caught a handful over 12 and one over 14. My limit is 15 before I will consider a mount. I thought of mounting 14 as it was only 30.5" and it was caught in august which is very rare.

Depends on the water and the situation.  On Otisco a 9-10 pounder is fairly rare but we get a few every year.  Id need one about 12 I think.  I will say a 10 casting on light tackle is far more special than 1 trolled. I hope to get a good fish on a fly rod this fall and I think an 8-9 off a big top water fly would put me at the taxidermist.  Frank it really doesnt matter what anyone thinks but you!  If its a trophy to you then mount it. 

Agree with the above comments. Personally, I would snap a ton of photos, take several measurements, and release the old girl. Replicas are the way to go.... In my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

when i was 18 i caught a 8lb walleye out of oneida lake which was 5 min AFTER the tourney was over..for 18 more yrs i said my next 8lber was going to be mounted.caught 2 in 1 day on the boq.my personal best to date is 11....ive moved my bar to 12lb....when my grandsons catch their 1st legal 1 well that 15in may get mounted

I mounted my first ever Lake Ontario eye, it was 12lbs and 4 ounces.  I was fishing alone out of my 14 ft tinny with a 7.5 johnson outboard.  Since then  i've got probably 10 over 12lbs and my largest was 13lb 6 oz..   i think if i hit 14 im going to have  walter mounted because wilma is lonely. here are a couple pics, i released this fish.  This is a reef runner 900, it is bigger than an f-18 rapala

Picture.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture022.jpg

900 Series RR is a killer bait. Eastern lake O and St Lawrence River sure produce some world class eyes. The Largest walleyes have come for me trolling for muskie - Biggest was 14# and hit a 13" bait on a down rigger.

As far as mounting is concerned...... If I had to mount one walleye it would be like the attached photo. This was caught through the ice near alex bay, ny this past winter. 😳post-155409-14097933270497_thumb.jpg

I would consider anything over 13# on Lake O, East End.  10-12lbers are fairly common and if you fish for eyes quite a bit you're certain to catch a few to a decent amount in that range... but those few that you have the potential to hook into in the 13-14lb range are pretty darn rare, even for those that fish walleye a lot!

900 Series RR is a killer bait. Eastern lake O and St Lawrence River sure produce some world class eyes. The Largest walleyes have come for me trolling for muskie - Biggest was 14# and hit a 13" bait on a down rigger.

As far as mounting is concerned...... If I had to mount one walleye it would be like the attached photo. This was caught through the ice near alex bay, ny this past winter. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1409793325.642607.jpg

That fish right there doesn't only belong on the wall....   It belongs in the Hall ..... of   fame  for walleyes.   Did not think NY had a walleye like that! WOW!!