Otisco lake tiger on the fly

I met a fly fisherman last weekend and offered to take him out to a few of my spots sunday.  Conditions were tough but Joe worked thru it and landed a nice 35 incher and had a 40ish follow.  Details and few others from the weekend are in my walleye post.  BTW water clarity is excellent and tiger fishing is ON as of this weekend thru today.  Surface temps 69-71 and we took fish in shallow all the way out to 50 fow.

post-151276-0-09173900-1408427763_thumb.jpg

post-151276-0-34667700-1408427824_thumb.jpg

Ive always been more of a big board deep water troller, but lately Ive been having fun just running 1 hand held rod right on the weedline or over weeds.   The hits are tremendous and with only 20-40 feet of line we can really put the screws to the fish and land them quickly making them super easy to release.  Ive caught plenty with 300 feet of line out along with other rods out so fights are very long and fish tougher to revive.  The fly rod fish Joe locked right down on and he didnt give up 1 inch of line breaking the fish fast.  Joe's flies have no barbs so the release is a breeze compared to plugs.  I did tell him the walleye flies he is making better have barbs!!!!!!!!!!  The quick fights are much more vicious too.

I took a whack at fly fishing about 15 years ago after reading flys could catch fish when all else fails. If you want to try it practice from a boat so you won't have all those trees behind you. It won't take long and you'll have it down. I got pretty good at it and caught some pike that way but only when they were on anyway. When i broke out the fly rod during a shutout day it didn't help. There is just no esox magic bullet. When they're hungry they eat anything,when they're not you get blanked.

I dont see myself doing much of it old man just thought it might be a fun thing once in a while or when its really on.  I too have heard ONCE IN A WHILE fish will take a fly when nothing works though im skeptical.  I plan to test this next time the walleyes are on top water and I cant get em to go.  Just another tool, and based on its effectiveness it may not get used much.  I will say it was awesome to watch the fish track a fly and take.