Ideal wind direction

Adk1

So what would be the most ideal setup as far as winds go or is it really any constant wind pattern to set the lake up? I understand that a nw wind would produce the biggest waves. Can someone explain this alittle for me?

WSW,And all I know is the stronger the wind , the bigger the waves. NW winds mean that the lake has the entire width of 50 miles or so to build till it gets to the south shore. Same  on a west wind  for the east end guys. A strong SW wind can mean calm ,fishable  close to shore but Bigger & unfishable  the farther you go out.

Good question as I am a rookie on the lake myself. I know in my few outings a south, south east or east was not very much waves to deal with out of Mexico . Noth, north west or straight west produced some land locked conditions.

It did seem however that the west wind we had last week brought some fish into the salmon river and seemed to get them closer in a whole.

So I'd like to understand better on how the winds effect the fish / bait

Thanks

Rich

Btw: it seems at least in the forecast so far the winds will be SSE this weekend so I'm going for redemption :)

I would love it if some of the experienced guys would share on this topic. What winds do in the spring and in the summer. What happens when you have different winds and how and where it moves water or changes the thermo line. If the wind has been blowing in this direction where would be a good place to go. Maybe some of you charter captains who have been out here a long time could chime in. It would save us newer guys a lot of frustration. And Ray, be serious if you chime in.