spoons or flys?

After today I'm not sure if there is a pattern but the last couple times it has been a heavier spoon bite for us although we have had a little dipsey flasher/fly action. Two hits today on the copper trolling pretty fast but they didn't stick. At this point it doesn't seem clear that just one thing is working...have to try all of it and experiment.....things can also be quite different in different parts of the lake etc. Combos of white and green are often good to try for flasher (or spinny)/fly and orange spoons work well on the steelies and kings.

Try an assortment of attractors flies and spoons and move the pattern around till you find a system that works on your boat if your going over fish and not getting bit keep moving tackle around the fish will tell you what colors and where they want lures some days they don't like flashers. If your not getting bit try opposite colors of what's down adjust pattern of colors as bite picks up

If you only have riggers maybe try a flasher and fly on the bottom rod and stack a second rod with a spoon 5-10 ft above and a longer lead  behind the flasher and fly.  Thought being, that the F/F helps to attract the fish in and if they aren't interested in hitting that as they swim away they can look up and see the single "wounded" spoon trailing behind. Then WHAM!  Good Luck!

Reel,

I grew up fishing Lake Champlain most summers my first 30 years. To me, they are same in general (downriggers, spoon sets,coldwater species), but in Champlain there is a lot more topography in the main lake, including lots of islands and drop shoreline to work fishing lakers and salmon, and a lots less depth in general. I've fished the end of August, first weekend of September on Lake Ontario the last 8 years or so. The water on Lako O is a lot more wide open - not just literally, but in terms of depth and distance you may travel finding the bite. Plus, the biggest fish we've caught on Champlain, were between 5-10 pounds (walleyes, landlocks, lakers). My Dad's first time on Lake O, after 65 years of fishing Champlain, he caught 8 salmon in 3 days, all over 20 pounds. One of the first Kings I hooked on Ontario took me out over 900 feet on the reel counter. I LOVE fishing Lake Champlain, but Lake O is just a totally different level of anticipation and excitement. When that rod pops, and the drag starts screaming...knowing anytime it fires you could be looking at a shot at a 30# plus fish... :)

L.J.

I forgot to mention - never saw flasher/fly combos in use on Lake Champlain. We started fishing with them on Lake Ontario, and we've caught 70% of our fish on them. That said, some days the same spoons we've killed lakers on in Champlain have produced really well in Lake O - so you can always start with what you know, and work into the new tackle and techniques you'll pick up here.

L.J.

Edited by WalleyeLJ

I like a pair of F'Flys on the outer riggers and a sppon down the mddle above and dropped back.  FFs draw the fish in and if they are leary they take the drop back easy pray spoon. Sometimes I'll run that spoon below and dropped back as well>. Spin Docs, Pro Es with Atomik and Bg weinie Flys have put 80% of my majors in the boat!

And just wondering if its worth running dipsey diver setups for the money!??

Amen - we only started using dipseys two years ago, and half the fish came off the one dipsey we had. Last year we only had a few slow days to fish, and all the fish came off the dipsey - not one of four riggers fired, even those running the exact same FF combo. We're going to run three dipseys this year... :)

There are times that dipseys saved the day for me, I always have at least two in water. Flasher flys,or Dodger flys have been good for me in the regular colors.(greens and white) I have taken a favorite combo. off my rigger and sent it down on a dipsey and got hammered, go figure. Some guys say the fish like the sound of the wire, and I think that also. Dipseys are a must for me, would not be without them.

• 4 weeks later...