RUFF RIDER Sodus Live Report 2014 Aug 22 - Sep 1

Do you use offshore releases? 

Are you using rubber snubbers on your Dipseys?

What worked for me back years ago.......Offshore releases..........put the line at least 3/4 of the way in as that increases the tension.  Razor razor sharp hooks.   The nice thing about offshore releases is you dont get any "draggers" (small kings or lakers) as the line will actually slide a bit and "pulse" your rod tip when you get a skipper/dragger on so you know immediatly when it happens.

But....and a big caveat.....this was all pre-zerba mussell days and the water clarity was always that perfect sea foam green.  So I am sure things are different lately with the gin clear water.

Do you use offshore releases?

Are you using rubber snubbers on your Dipseys?

What worked for me back years ago.......Offshore releases..........put the line at least 3/4 of the way in as that increases the tension. Razor razor sharp hooks. The nice thing about offshore releases is you dont get any "draggers" (small kings or lakers) as the line will actually slide a bit and "pulse" your rod tip when you get a skipper/dragger on so you know immediatly when it happens.

But....and a big caveat.....this was all pre-zerba mussell days and the water clarity was always that perfect sea foam green. So I am sure things are different lately with the gin clear water.

We use blacks. We used to use offshore releases, but switched to blacks and could never go back. Ive been experimenting with running them tighter with the rods bent over real tight... I think my ratio has actually gone down a bit...

This time of year their mouths get very hard so you lose some fish.

I think a lot of them were smaller fish that probably didn't get a good grasp on the treble. Some of the screamers we lost though... I would agree!

Got it! ( on the blacks releases). 

Just my own personal preference.....I have never been a fan of any release that requires you to twist the line to "hold it in place" (blacks) or a release that required you to thread it like a sewing machine (Roamers).   But thats just a personal thing on my end.  I always prefered "direct linkage".

Im sure they all work

Go get those jumbo steelies

Various width/size rubber bands work fantastic if you are using lighter line.   The bigger the rubber band, the more you can crank your rod down while trolling.  They provide awesome hook setting tension much like the off shore.... (versus just an "open or closed" position on the blacks)