I use them with leadcore, copper and love them with TripZ divers, they work fine landing fish but with a big king you can't pump the rod, I find it best to keep rod tip lower to the water. When I took out either of my bigger Penn Yans I would always use my Big otter boards.

Another note,

Due to the extra drag of the board heavier pound test is better insurance.......

I use TX-22's with lead core all the time.

Sometimes I let it all out and and clamp on the mono backing and other time I just partially let it out and clamp on the core. I have release set very tight so it does not release or run down the line.

I usually fish alone so it can be a little tricky to get the board off with a large fish on. If there are two of you, it's no problem at all IMO. Otherwise,  I have never had a problem with this method. The core is still in great shape.

I also run the TX44's with the release tightened down real snug on 50 lb braid and take the board off as I get to it on the way in but I don't run my boards way out either like smaller boards and with this approach you never want to slow up bringing in those boards when you get them near the boat because if they "dive" you will be hard pressed to bring them in when they are nearby (or under) :lol: You can run almost anything including a Seth Green rig off them though.

Edited by Sk8man

I'd use rubber bands if it were me and especially if you are using roughly the same spot to put it in the release. A lot of folks worry about breaking the core lead inside but most of the actual strength of the leadcore is the outside sheathing material.

I use them all the time with core and copper.  What works best for me is a section of 40# mono between the backing and core/copper to hook the board to.  That way the clip doesn't wear on the core or my braid backing.

The mono section is a commonly used approach. I use the 50 lb braid (backing) because it seems to cut through the water better than the mono and has no stretch. I haven't had any problems of the braid weakening.You should also keep in mind that any time you have a knot in your setup it can be a potential weak spot regardless of the knot used and the more knots the more fleas can be attracted (the copper itself is usually flealess)

Edited by Sk8man

thanks all for the feedback..I have also experienced the diving problem at the boat and wonder if I should let off on rod instead of trying to muscle it in..have caught many fish with them but also broke backing a couple of times..that sucks.  I think I might be in for quite a rodeo if I get a big fish on..lol