Should have stayed home

Had a decent evening on the lake, I had a few good hits and landed 2 small kings and on that was almost 20lbs. When I started to pick up to come in I hit the auto button on the scotty and everything seemed fine. Got about 50 ft and the cable snapped. Took my fishhawk probe, 2 black releases, and a 14 lb ball to the bottom. Like I said, I should have stayed home. Take a minute to check your cables, mine must have had a defect or a kink.  $300 plus gas for this night!

Know your pain Bub, last year fishing Orleans Pro Am we broke a cable and of course it was the one that had the Cannon Intella Troll Probe, Ball, Release and Stacker Release. Led to us getting are Fish Hawk X4D and me making are own Balls. Total Bummer man that does suck. Better luck next time. Take care :yes:

Used mine twice and lost the X4 probe torpedo weight and releases. Scotty was coming up on auto, turned my back to get other side. Heard something and it was gone, spool spinning with no koad. The cable jumped the spool and broke after it wound up under the spool. Never had that happen before but it was like it just had to be the one with the probe! I spooled 300 feet of new cable new terminal end for the new torpedo and now the rigger that has the probe is the last to come up at the end of the day so I can watch it like a hawk!

Narby has new probes in Stock in case ya need one right away. I know the air turned blue around the back of the boat!...it did around mine and I was alone! Good thing!

Sacafrachabeararakin!...CHIT!!! 😠😭

Cent frum my notso smart fone

I feel everybody's pain, I once had my uncle from florida (who is an avid fisherman in florida, but extremely unfamiliar with trolling the great lakes) on the boat and he watched as I set up and changed programs a couple times so felt comfortable pulling in lines. He thought the riggers stopped automatically when the ball came all the way to the top. They do not. Lost three 12lb. Balls that day, no probes or releases but It was an expensive day. Straightened out all the weight clips. He felt bad but now we laugh about it.

I always make sure the DRAG on the riggers is set right so that it will pull the weight up OK but if excessive weight is on it the drag will kick in. It should slip when the weight reaches the tip if the downrigger if set right (those with no autostop). I recently had the occasion to test both of mine out (along with the dipseys) when my buddy and I were totally out of it BSing on Seneca and not looking at the finder and we came up from 150 plus water into 27 ft. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

We lost our very first probe in Ontario ourselves!  Were from Ohio and came there on a short vacation for some Kings.  rough day on the lake set the downrigger ball on the back of the boat (still attached) took a wave and BAAM ball rolled off back of boat with probe and ball!  sounds like a lot of probes on the bottom of that big ol lake!!!

We lost our very first probe in Ontario ourselves! Were from Ohio and came there on a short vacation for some Kings. rough day on the lake set the downrigger ball on the back of the boat (still attached) took a wave and BAAM ball rolled off back of boat with probe and ball! sounds like a lot of probes on the bottom of that big ol lake!!!

Yeah lots of probes at the bottom sending signals all over the lake. Soon our working probes will be getting confused readings? Hope the batteries aren't die hards..😮😱

Cent frum my notso smart fone

I can loan you a ten pd. ball until you replace it. I'm in rochester.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the offer, I have extra weights. If you happen to have an extra x4 probe laying around I might take your offer!

Been there and done that last year! I feel your pain.

A month ago my wife adjusted a rod holder but didn't tighten it down. She set my brand new diver rod and reel with wire in it and it fell to the bottom of Lake O. $200 sinking...

A week later I am packing up for the day, Trying to set my rod in the holder and watched it fall into the lake. I somehow missed the rod holder.... It sunk in slow motion just slightly faster than I could get to it.