And....here's what happens when you hurry....

Sk8man

I had cleaned out all the fishing stuff from the boat and put the cushions back in it so my wife and daughter could go on a comfortable boat ride and some swimming yesterday on Canandaigua. During the process I had to rip apart my usual noodles that I keep on the bimini top supports with nearly 200 spoons on it and extract 4 plastic boxes of spoons numbering in the hundreds. I placed them in the back of my Expedition along with some salmon stuff and 8 rods and reels large net etc. so the back was totally full of stuff with the boxes of lures and stuff on noodles at the very back because I expected to put the stuff back in the boat when I returned home. We had a nice time for several hours at the north end  and then when it was time to go home I brought the boat to the dock and then put it on the trailer secured it and on an angle went to pull it out of the water .....then it happened....all four boxes full of lures and the others on pieces of styrofoam (which I intended to re do when I got home) slid out of the back and into 3 foot of dirty  water and immediately sunk because of the weight. I got out and with my hip boots on felt around (luckily no water snakes present :lol: ) and retrieved all of them eventually ....but the boxes were full of water so when I got home I had to open them up and spead spoons out on the cellar floor to dry out.  I took a pic after two of the boxes and did the others later in another part of the cellar...what a pain....if I had just remembered to close the back lid on the Expedition....but I forgot about the lures. Now I'm dreading having to sort them out again :)

post-145411-0-74954700-1409101676_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

:)  Thanks guys I knew I could drum up some sympathy.....my wife's view of it is ...why do you need so many....and....how much did all that stuff cost ? :)  Geez they were all on sale ....honest :lol: sounds good Mike will have to see what the weather brings us.

Edited by Sk8man

OMG!!!!! Les, nobody is perfect, thank The Lord you got all your stuff out of the drink, looks like it might take some time to put everything back in place, but it sounds like the family time out weighs the D time to put everything back. PAP.

OMG!!!!! Les, nobody is perfect, thank The Lord you got all your stuff out of the drink, looks like it might take some time to put everything back in place, but it sounds like the family time out weighs the D time to put everything back. PAP.

You lucked out, I had a box full of crank  baits and a gallon of oil fall out in heavy traffic. :doh: . I saved the oil but all the lures were crushed. :puke: .

Thanks Kevin. I did take pics a while back of ALL my stuff but of course there have been additions since that point :lol: i spent  most of today reorganizing them in new boxes so I'm in good shape now.

I have been looking for a good way to secure lures while still providing easy access when needed, the noodle idea seems like a good one. 

Thanks for the post and glad you got them all back from the drink!

Les, you are without question the LAST person I would expect to do something like that.  You check, recheck again and again.  You have always reminded me of those guys down at NASA who check and test stuff so much, the stuff they are checking and testing wears out and fails because of so much checking and testing!  (They do have medication for that condition, so I`m told.)  :)

At least you got your gear back Les.  Hopefully the launch wasnt a zoo:?  I had a big board get hit monday by an idiot not watching where he was going and I had no where to go.  At least the otter came out unscathed, and thankfully his prop spooled me...He will be working a while getting it out of his prop.  Im out some tackle, but with any luck the 80 pound braid caused him enough grief to learn to watch where he is going.  We really need MANDATORY boater education for everyone.   I switched away from having tons of small boxes and went to a special mate vertical storage box.  It holds 120 lures neatly in 1 box and all of my lures hang to dry.  I just reorganized it yesterday putting in more of the lures that Ive been using and took out what wasnt working  lately.  I still have plenty of other boxes, but I fish outta 1. 

Yes Justin I was very lucky actually. I did buy a somewhat larger box to put the dried out lures back in but I am still stuck with multiple boxes as they number in the hundreds. The way the Great Lakes spoons have been working I may be as well off just carrying them with me :)  Your system sounds like a real good one. I know what you mean about those idiots out there too. There were a bunch on Labor Day here on Canandaigua. They use their boats 2 or 3 times a year and "don't have a clue". A long time ago when I only had a couple trout rods (spinning rods/reels at that) and my little 13 ft Whaler I was on Sodus Bay when a big engine bass boat crossed my outrigger lines at full tilt and spooled both reels so I had to quit fishing and drive home as I didn't have extra line or the money to buy it . Talk about being pizzed....probably lucky I forgot about my flare gun :lol:

Edited by Sk8man