Cayuga/SENECA

well as much as my heart wanted to go to olcott,it didnt take me long to figure strong N/E winds mess up fishing on the big pond,,so i decided to hit the fingers ...well we started on cayuga hitting the park,boyscout area then trolled south almost to the sailboat club area,we lost count after 3 fish oh wait we only got 3 fish,we looked deep in our souls(empty cooler) and pulled anchor and headed west (SENECA)....well within ten minutes of getting the boat wet on seneca we(jason) get our first fish,then we (jason) get our next ,and next and next ect.ect.ect. so i changed up my dead side of the boat with maniac's fly (showtime) behind a chrome/green spindocter .that combo started pulliny my weight on my side of the boat. bottom line i got spanked by jason ,he used wire on dypsy and i had power pro in the past it was about the same catch ratio dont know if that was the diff. but its got my brain cell working (slowley).jason also landed a 7 lbr it looked much larger ,due to the long fight that one didnt make it so we (jason) tied it to the side of the boat.overall a good day for starting seneca at 2 oclockish in the 30 not 3 fish day..jason also learned a lesson;;;; when deploying a dypsy (specially wire)and the rigger fires below you imadeatly pop the dypsy and reel it in ....... as to not tangle the two with spindocters on both you could make a time consumming mess....OH WAIT he didnt pop the dypsy like the LAST time i took him out and he DID TANGLE AND MAKE A TIME CONSUMING MESS .....AGAIN.....WELL not to be outdone by his repeated mistake of tangles,now i gotta teach him knot tying 101 as when he went too get his 7 lb prize to put in the cooler the fish managed to climb up the stringer untie itself from the boat and escaped stealing my stringer too :shock: .guess thats how it got to be so big ,my what a smart fish ,or could it be that one of us on my boat was a dumb azz.with that said i look forward to another adventure with jason ,kinda gives us all a little chuckle,thanks bud that will teach ya to outfish me......Ray K.

Ray....saw your van/trailer at Treman launch yesterday morning. Gave ya a couple blasts on the radio (68 ) while we were fishin but no response.

We stayed pretty much on the south end and targeted the surface bite. Picked up a few browns and 1 dink salmon for our efforts,...oh...my guest just had to wack one of those snake fish (northern) :shock: also . I told him the next time he fishes with me to be sure to tell his lures to only target salmonoids :roll: or he'll have to leave his tacklebox home. Our fish came on a combination of sticks & spoons. Early was chartreusey stuff and then change to naturals when sun came out. We broke down about 1 PM and shot the bull for another hour & half in the parking lot. The fish we caught got a lot bigger the longer we talked about them :shock: .

My guest asked that I not identify him `cause he has a reputation on Cayuga to uphold and fishing on my boat would sorta blow that. Can you imagine someone saying that to you?....and after I bailed him out with his wife. Ya....he figured that if his boat was in the driveway that his wife would think he was at work.....so he jumps on my boat and everyone is happy.

DEC stopped by the launch when we were pulling out. He went around checking boats but didn't bother us. Another trip down and no tickets yet this season . Life is good ;) .

thanks maniac,oh for the records general water temp on cayuga 38.5 deg ,43 deg at the so.end in the shallows,hindsite we should of spent the morning in the south end.. 39 deg on seneca... Also i hooked my wire harness from trolling moter to battery .i understand all Hondas come standard with 6 amp charger on pull start,12 on elect start.anyways the 6 amp was very noticable as i operated my riggers with main moter off ,just as fast and strong as if i had my big moter running,so i am confident the 6 amp will keep battery charged running riggers and electronics at trolling speeds.

yep all my fault. as long as the knots on our fishing line holds up thats good but your right if i tied a better knot on the stringer better we would not have lost that fish.

td we had the same spin dr but a different fly. like ray said on any giving day we catch the same amout of fish on the 2 different dypsies but saturday it was not the case wire just kick his ass. hottest fly on the boat was big weenies proctologist fly. with maniacs showtime in second. the fly on my dypsy needs to be retired their only like 5 strands left on the fly.

ORANGE ,does it smell like orange?NO but i might consider it for up north in coho water.if you were dumb enuf to buy one you might as well run it and if it works maybe we can put a run on that color.I sorta get hung up on the catching while this time of year when the fishing is sooo good i should be following my own advise and trying different setups ,and colors.Jason didnt mention the fly that is so beat up was a little color combo i threw togeather with my daughters bead kit .you know the one you were crawling around on the floor picking up the beads after you had to break out the knot undoer(knife and wirecutters).somehow jason bringing up proctoligest and BIG WEENIE flys gives me a funny feeling when im hooking up the steering rod to the kicker,like someone is staring at me.i think the biggest difference in my side was i was running a mtndew spindctr on a mostly sunny day when i went with the chrome and dk green spinny that just fit the sun better than mtn dew .lower light conditions break out the mtn dew(sorta chartruise)colors.even a dark green with white crush would be better for the sunny stuff.if you run orange id keep it in the upper 30 ft colum for land lock maybe a rainbow hmmmmmmmmmmm....ya know those rainbows do like orange stuff .ok i have one and next time maybe ill put one out.if it works ill tell ya ................after the derby 8)

when deploying a dypsy (specially wire)and the rigger fires below you imadeatly pop the dypsy and reel it in ....... as to not tangle the two with spindocters on both you could make a time consumming mess....OH WAIT he didnt pop the dypsy like the LAST time i took him out and he DID TANGLE AND MAKE A TIME CONSUMING MESS .....AGAIN.........Ray K.

A couple questions....Does the laker usually stay hooked while waiting for you to reel in the dipsey? Also....do you usually reel in both sides?

I put together a couple of wire set-ups and am anxious to check them out.

Was hoping for a shakedown cruise Sat. afternoon. I started a project of installing a new dash-panel with new gages and switches.....a little more than what I bargained for....was kind of like plumbing..more trips to the store for right connectors, switches, drill bits, etc. Started Sat. AM and wasn't done Sun. night. Of course wife still gets mad b/c I'm spending time with the boat and not her and kids. I keep telling myself it will be worth it!

yes like whats his name said they usually stayed hooked up ,lakers ant really got a reelsmoking jumping reputation,just a few dips of the rod and sorta flutter to the surface. no need to clear any rods except as mentioned above .even if the dypsy if all the way out 240 ft at 2.5 sett. with a laker on the rigger,the wire will be no problem unless you get a release on a tight turn(as tight as you can with a dypsy which ant real tight).ive mentioned flys and spinny color but another important thing other than speed 2.5 to 2.7 mph is the length of the leader to the fly i run all mine (except coho rig 14") about 22 in back give or take a inch wont kill ya thats from the swivel at the back of the spindocter to the back of the rear hook on the fly. good luck on the shake down ..Ray K.

• 3 weeks later...

I hopped on Upgrady to fish out of I-Bay and we took a boat ride. Marked quite a few but couldn't get anything to hit. Threw everything at em.

I saw you posted your number for Olcott Thursday, but I have to work at 2:00 in Clyde and mapquest says it's a 2 hr ride. But I hope you throw one on the Board!