Inland Guides/Non Resident Guides & Charters Get Ready To Pay!

All you NY State Inland Guides get ready to pay!

S. 6663 2

1 5. A license as required under subdivision two of this section shall

2 be issued for a period of five calendar years and the fee therefor shall

3 be established by the department, not to exceed two hundred dollars for

4 residents_and_five_hundred_dollars_for_non-residents.

S.6663 - Little.pdf

Edited by mostlymuskies

All NY Licensed Charter Captians should comment on this Legislation not going far enough as far as Non Resident Charter Captians being able to work in NY State Great Lakes Waters for Free! The New Legislation should include a Non Resident Charter Captian License to work in NY State Great Lakes Waters! Pa charges Non-Residents $400 to charter on Lake Erie.I have notice a few more Ohio Charter Boats working the NY waters of Lake Erie this year,they passed by Pa because of the $400 License Fee! Pa & Ohio are protecting their waters for their local Captians with these Non-Resident Guide/Charter Fees!

Capt Larry D. Jones

Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

I hope they do sign the drug testing in, along with out of state fees. But we all know how some scabs will get around that. As they are doing now when asked if they are running paid trips. Just my two cents!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Rich D

We have the Erie County Fishery Advisory Board,Erie County Federation Of Sportsmens Clubs,Chautauqua County Federation Of Sportsmens Clubs,Chautauqua County Fishery Advisory Board,Eastern Lake Erie Charter Boat Association all onboard as supporting Non-Resident Charter Captian Fee to work in NY State Great Lakes Waters.We need other Federations,Fishery Advisory Boards,Clubs etc.. to join inthis support to get the NSDEC to add Non-Resident Charter Captians to the New Legislation to charge Non-Resident Guides up to $500.Where does Lake Ontario Charter Boat Association stand on this issue?

Capt Larry D Jones

Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

E.C.F.A.B.

E.C.F.S.C. Director

NMA Director

NY M.I. Chapter 69 Reg. Rep.

716-432-0198

For a Non Resident Charter Captian to operate on Lake Michigan they can get a Free Permit if the state they live in does not charge a Illinois Charter Captian to operate there, but if a Non Resident Charter Fee is in place the Charter from that state must pay a Fee Equal to what is charged there to work in Illinois Great Lakes Waters.Just about every state around us on the Great Lakes charges Non Residents for a Charter Fishing Permit.

The state of Michigan also has a Charter Sport Trolling License for Non Residents for $80.Seems like we are the only state where Non Resident Charter Captians can operate for Free!If we get this Non Resident Charter Fishing License passed it may also mean Ontario Canadian Guides may have to purchase this license to operate in NY State border waters as well!

The state of Michigan also has a Charter Sport Trolling License for Non Residents for $80.Seems like we are the only state where Non Resident Charter Captians can operate for Free!If we get this Non Resident Charter Fishing License passed it may also mean Ontario Canadian Guides may have to purchase this license to operate in NY State border waters as well!

Larry, I applaud your devotion to our industry! I know you only mean well, with all your political endeavors. 

I do have a couple thoughts on all this though, that I hope you don't take as opposing any of your efforts.

To begin with, I don't comprehend how increasing fees are going to help those of us in business?  If a Non resident legit business has to pay increased fees and purchase more licenses to continue doing business...that's what they will do, pay the fees! They are not just going to "go away", stop doing business, increasing opportunity for those that are residents. The only one who is going to benefit with these new laws and fees is, the one collecting the fees. 

Remember, LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, are the only ones that adhere to the LAW. 

Wouldn't our group efforts be better directed at trying to make the law enforcement ,ACTUALLY ENFORCE THE LAWS already in place? 

If the USCG, just walked down the docks and asked for captains licenses, and made sure all crew members aboard these charters were properly registered in the maritime consortium, and arrest some of these "fly by night" operations, and ENFORCE THE LAWS ALREADY WRITTEN, and collected the hefty fines attached to these violations........the end result of what I believe you are looking for, would be a reality. 

Just try to get the Coast Guard to enforce their commercial laws.....

See we have a much bigger problem on the Upper & Lower Niagara River, any Canadian can just say they are a guide and they do not need the safety equipment or insurance and they fish N.Y. waters competing with you at $150 charters while your trying to get $400.

Then every walleye Tourney on Lake Erie in NY Waters there are 5 to 7 Ohio Charter Boats working fishing with clients in those tournaments.Chautauqua Lake now has more out of state guides working there then local.Without a Non Resident License fee those caught guiding without a license will only get a warning, with the Non Resident Charter Captian License in effect they could be fined as much as $10,000.00 for working without a license.They could no longer advertise chartering in NY State if they do not have the Non Resident Charter License.

See we have a much bigger problem on the Upper & Lower Niagara River, any Canadian can just say they are a guide and they do not need the safety equipment or insurance and they fish N.Y. waters competing with you at $150 charters while your trying to get $400.

Then every walleye Tourney on Lake Erie in NY Waters there are 5 to 7 Ohio Charter Boats working fishing with clients in those tournaments.Chautauqua Lake now has more out of state guides working there then local.Without a Non Resident License fee those caught guiding without a license will only get a warning, with the Non Resident Charter Captian License in effect they could be fined as much as $10,000.00 for working without a license.They could no longer advertise chartering in NY State if they do not have the Non Resident Charter License.

I understand your frustration...

I still don't comprehend how making a new law, and new fees will solve these issues..

ONLY THE LAW ABIDING PEOPLE WILL FOLLOW THE LAWS AND PAY THE FEES,  criminals don't follow laws..they are criminals. Without the law enforcement ENFORCING the laws, your problem will still exist! 

If the law enforcement was out there RIGHT NOW, enforcing the laws already in place, your problem would be solved as well? 

There are fines in place in New York state for guiding without a license. THEY ARE NOT BEING ENFORCED. 

The trouble is that only the USCG can enforce Great Lakes Charters because Great Lakes waters are Federal.By creating a NY State Non Resident Charter License in can then be regulated by the NSDEC Officers , State Police , Sheriff and Local Police being a state law!

This goes up for public discussion in Albany, NY on Sept 16th, so if there is no support to impose a Non - Resident Charter License Fee they will only go with the increase to as high as $500 to the Non - Resident Guides Licenses that only cover Inland Waters.Leaving us where we are now with only USCG for enforcement of Great Lakes Charter Captians.Having a NY State Non - Resident Charter License Fee would make those boats fall under NY State Law Enforcement as well!

Edited by mostlymuskies

We have representives from the ECFAB,ECFSC,CCFAB,CCFSC & ELECBA going to the meeting in Albany on September 16th to push for adding Non-Resident Charter Boats to the Non-Resident Guides fee of $500.Other Fishery Advisory Boards & Federations need to voice their opinion to their NYCC Representive before September 16th!

It's such a frustrating topic. Back when I was President of LOTSA and one of NY's reps to the Great Lakes Sportfishing Counsel, I traveled extensively and lobbied to establish both rules and empowerment to enforce them, yet here we are some 30-35 years later and still can't seem to get anything meaningful accomplished.

The last time we were able to get all the key interests on the same page, we banned commercial gill nets in NY waters of lake Erie laying the foundation for the fishery we enjoy today. Unfortunately without a grassroots effort no meaningful change will come to fruition.

It's such a frustrating topic. Back when I was President of LOTSA and one of NY's reps to the Great Lakes Sportfishing Counsel, I traveled extensively and lobbied to establish both rules and empowerment to enforce them, yet here we are some 30-35 years later and still can't seem to get anything meaningful accomplished.

The last time we were able to get all the key interests on the same page, we banned commercial gill nets in NY waters of lake Erie laying the foundation for the fishery we enjoy today. Unfortunately without a grassroots effort no meaningful change will come to fruition.

Yes, it is!

Ask any Charter Captain how many times they have been approached and asked for their credentials by Authorities?

In 28 years in this industry and over 5000 charters operated, I personally have been asked ONCE.

I would bet that is one more time than most my peers with more time and more trips than I.....

Not only is it frustrating, It's DISGUSTING, how bad the lack of enforcement actually is out there....

We need the New No Resident Charter Boat License that will require a decal to show they are licensed.Also by having a State License instead of just a USCG License for Non Residents they then can be prosecuted by any NY State Law Agency, now it is the USCG only! The NYSDEC will do a better job of enforcement of those who are not licensed from out of state.Those that are running I legal charters with NY boat registration will continue as long as everyone sits back and waits for the USCG to go and ask for licences.Unless someone is advertising charter fishing trips without a license the USCG has tied hands unless someone puts it in writing they seen money pass hands for a charter.That is the problem everyone complains but when it comes down to signing a paper that you witnessed the money pass hands for the charter, most just turn their head and look away.The USCG can only give a warning without proof.The Non Resident Charter Boat License is a step in the right direction.

I am hearing that the meeting was cancelled, is this true? We had our guides association meeting this week, and the president said he received am email saying the meeting postponed.

Good Luck on your trip to the west coast!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Set the legislation, charge the fee, and the law abiding out of state captain will pay the fee, as he or she already does, concerning licensing, drug testing, liability insurances, once needed twic cards, income taxing, etc....  The costs associated with another license is really not that big of an added deal, as I see it, it would just be handed down to the client. Although, as already reported in this thread, I also believe your bigger problem revolves around a number of non-licensed captains who are bringing their people up from their home states and charging the same type of operating fee's, on a lesser scale than the licensed captain, under the table to offset their own expenses for their recreational activities. They would not pay your added out of state fee, to begin with, and there are a considerable number of boats, around Lake O, who I believe would fall into this category, my opinion.