Small fishing boat sank in Little Sodus Bay

Yesterday, around 9 a.m., my grandson and I were doing some serious goby fishing at the boat launch at Fair Haven State Park on Little Sodus Bay.  There was a pretty good south wind blowing which generated a  one to two foot chop at the north end of the bay.

We noticed two guys in a small 14 foot boat anchored and fishing about 100 feet from the breakwall north of us, when one guy stood up and dove off the boat and started swimming toward the breakwall. Next, the boat disappeared and the second guy was standing chest deep in the water!  I called 911 and explained the situation.  A park policeman was driving by and I waved him down. He went out and assisted the two fishermen with their equipment.

About fifteen minutes later, the Sheriff's boat arrived and towed the sunken boat to the boat launch.  With the aid of the park policeman and some of the park workers, they managed to get the sunken boat on its trailer.

Luckily, no one was injured or drowned.

post-142860-0-24606700-1409487304_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1fish2fish

The boat had low side walls. They had the anchor rope tied off from the right corner of the stern. With the stern facing into the wind, a large wave went over the stern, and a second wave followed. It happened too fast for them to react.

Yes a 21 center capsized yesterday. We were there and heard the call on the radio as another boat saw the whole thing. Luckily we fisherman look out for each other and a boat under the name of Pisces had the three people aboard his boat within minutes I still don't know the specifics as to how it capsized but they were safe and that's what matters. As far as the boat it's gone with a debris field floating around and picked up by a few other boaters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was out of Hughes on Sun.  Dipsey Ranger put it to the salmon out in about 600' of water on Sat.  So in the a.m. that is where my wife and headed.  I talked to another fella on the cell and he was gonna stay in closer cause he didn't trust the weather.  Well there was a bit of chop heading out and when  we hit 175 I started setting up. Running two down riggers and two dipsey rods.  Hadn't even set up when the starboard downrigger fired.  By that time we were in about 250' and heading north. Landed a nice rainbow.  Then the dipsey went off and that is where things started going down hill fast as the south wind picked up pretty good.  My kicker couldn't keep up with the chop and of course my new to me 225 Ocean Runner decided to crap out.  Now we are being blown in circles and it seems the deeper we went with the wind the larger the chop became.  My Ezee stear rod attachment bent, a set of waves hit us in the stern but by that time my main engine was running again and it kicked up out of the water on a set of 4 waves.  I have a decent blue water boat and it is a heavy thing yet the stern lifted right out of the water and barked the engine pretty good and scared the ****e right out of us.  I also had everything tangled but it worked out cause here I am!  So there ya go, L.O. can flip pretty quickly and frankly I don't have that much time under my belt fishing it to go out that far when it's like that  or has the potential to get like that.  Not only that it beats the crap out of  you when you do.  

Edited by longbow

They weren't out far when this happened.  I think they said they were in 100 FOW.  I really would like to hear more about the specifics because the waves weren't as bad as I would think they would have to be to capsize a 21 footer.  A lot of people are thinking that they may have taking on water before it capsized.  From what I heard the boat sank immediately.  I always thought a boat would stay afloat for a little while.  Again this is all from radio talk as I wasn't close enough to see anything myself.