Derby fishing

John

Like some feedback on this....So let's say your derby fishing with 2 other people and it was agreed to split the winning s.Well one day I couldn't go and of course they caught the winning fish that day. In my opinion it should still be split up evenly ( with the boat getting it's share also). I know guys are gonna say...u had to be on boat that day...but it was said any winning s would be split evenly..Tks

This is a tough situation. It all depends on your agreement. Do you all own the boat and tackle? Did you kick in beforehand for all expenses?  In most cases I have seen or heard of, it would be split by those present. If your arrangement was different than this, then of course it should include you. This has gone on for 40 plus yrs on Lake Ontario, and derby/tournament fishing can solidify friendships or tear them apart. In the early days several outcomes ended up in court. Today, I think there is even a statement in the derby rules suggesting all participants have their split/shares worked out in advance. Good luck working it out. 

Tks Vince, well said. It was said that any winning s would be split even before the Derby started. This had happened.to me before, that's why I'm ranting about it. Was a family member last time it happened. Guess allI can say is "karma is a ****. TKS again for your input. "

You are going to ruin a friendship over money and it will be on you. You didn't help catch the fish. Real friends are happy for their friends when something good happens to them. Be happy for them. "Splitting evenely" implies that you are present. Good luck.

You are going to ruin a friendship over money and it will be on you. You didn't help catch the fish. Real friends are happy for their friends when something good happens to them. Be happy for them. "Splitting evenely" implies that you are present. Good luck.

Exactly!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We run under the agreement that everyone splits the winnings and everyone splits the expenses evenly whether you are on the boat that day or not for the LOC. The only stipulation is you have to actually actively participate in the fishing more than just a "couple of times". This means that whether you are on the boat or not on any given day, you pay your share of the gas and stand to win an equal share of the money. This works only because we are a four person crew who all want to fish every time if possible. One day tournaments are done on a who's there that day basis.

My thought behind that is that what might be learned on Saturday may result in a money fish on Sunday. We have had the "good fortune" to never put a fish on the board.

Ah I don't know.. We are always in a understanding that any winnings be split amoungst those aboard . It's my boat, mostly my invested time and expense but we always share any bonus that might happen on board.

If I let my first mate take the boat without me then all I would expect is the gas tank be where it was when he left.

Never let a little $$$ come between friends or family .

If they are friends they should give you something. Maybe not  a full share , but something & be happy to do it. It would be the honorable thing to do. If they don't want to give you anything, then they really  are not your friends .

When I did a  few  derbies/tourny  w/  friends years back.   I heard the stories , so  I drew up an agreement & everyone signed it. No gray area then.

Still think I would let it roll off . Drawing up an agreement seems pretty pre- nuptial .. Lol .

If they are friends then the right thing might be throwing a 30 pk or some tackle your way to share the wealth. Expecting money is not really what I'd expect though.

Jlogger....great post...that's what I thought until it actually happened ..was an agreement ..everyone is posting there opinion and that's fine...nobody knows what are agreement was except us..tks for all the response s.

You left that part out. Can't go online and ask for opinions if we don't get all the details.

Of course every situation is different. We used to have 3 guys. 2 of us could fish during the week a lot. The third met up on weekends. My boat was used. We never got into money, but talked about it. A little winnings would go to the boat and the guys present. Bigger winnings would go toward the boat, (gas,launch,etc), probably set some aside for future tournaments, the guys present would split the lions share, and the 3rd if not there would get enough to cover his entry fee and a bit more. Eg: win $2500, 3rd guy out would probably get $300. Even friends should solidify this topic, and especially not so close friends that fish with you. It turns into more of a business arrangement.

I am totally with the "you were not there, you get no prize money crowd", regardless of your agreement.  You didn't help with any of the work that goes on in the boat that day, so why should you share in any of the winnings?  Pretty cut and dry in my book.  You have to be present to win!!  I guess you learned a valuable lesson, and maybe you will be there next time. 

The boat comes first. A fuel fund is a great start. We won 12,600 in a spring loc. My fishin buddy of twenty years missed the only trip in that time, that day. It was never an issue. Three mounts and a new fish hawk were first. Three days of ocean fishing in florida came next. Downrigger, tackle and fuel rounded things out. We all know the expence involved, feed the beast. Even an out right grand prize is not worth screwin your buddies. I had a big role in landing that fish and i never asked for a cash share. I still enjoy retelling the story. I also love the fish hawk. My buddy who wasnt there just got a bigger boat this year. We will be fishing in grand style for the next twenty years and any $$ will go to help float the boat. Dont forget the taxes. Thats another story.

OK, here's my opinion, but it doesn't matter.

First the agreement is what it is, and only you know what was agreed to. Normally a person needs to be there to be a part of the winnings, but if you guys had a different agreement, then that should stick.

Second if it's your boat, normally the boat takes a share, whether you were there or not. But was that part of your agreement. I'm just saying how it normally goes.

Third, how much money are we talking about, and is it worth ruining a friendship over?  What I'd say is have an honest chat with the guys and tell them you thought it would work "X" way, but aren't concerned over it this time. For future, clarify things, especially the grey areas, so you guys can enjoy fishing, rather than let a few $$ ruin everything.  I told my team mates, if ever $$ got in between our friendship, I'd rather not participate in tournaments/derbies, and just fish for fun.

They all agree.

Our setup, normally we have 3 to 4 guys fishing. First, the expenses come off (for that day/weekend of the tourney). Then the boat takes a share - for us it isn't a huge boat so we agreed boat takes 20% always, up to a certain cap (let's say $2000, could be bigger if running a more expensive boat).  What's left get's split equally to those that fished that day/weekend.

Edited by markbellino

Can you tell us what the agreement was so we can give you better answers?  You only mention winnings and not expenses. 

Do you normally chip in for expenses when your not on board as Jlogger's teammates do?

If so you may have a valid point. 

If not, you should be happy for your fishing partners.

Honestly it depends on the situation.

Now if it were my boat, gear, and gas the fish was caught on and they didn't want to split other than the boat's percentage then there would be a problem and I would tell them to buy their own boat and gear for next year or up the boat's percentage.  Either way they should be thankful they don't have the initial investment of the above mentioned and split the money.  

On average I have to budget $800+/month in gas for the months of July and August.  My wife and I are school teachers so we don't work during July or August so I'm not spending much if at all in our vehicles.

The more I read on this topic, the more I think next years way of doing things is going to change for us. The one problem I run into with our system, is when I take someone outside of our team out fishing I can't have them sign up for the derby because of the complications it causes. I would need a second agreement between myself and those friends that would be separate and exclusive to them along with some agreement with the usual team regarding winnings with other people. It makes my brain hurt.

Pay the gas share that day by the trip and share in the money if you are on board. That seems much simpler. The boat takes a percentage of any substantial winnings for the slip, insurance, maintenance, payments, etc. If it is a $100 prize, then screw the percentage, it's just a few beers some Friday night for everyone. (I like expensive beer)

Thanks to all for the input. It wasn't my question to begin with, but it certainly helped me out.