Newbie questions for spring browns

Hi all, great site from what I can see so far. Tossing around the thought to get down there and try for your spring browns. I have a deepV 14.6 with a 25 HP. As long as its a south wind, can I get out there since your only fishing in 5-13 FOW right now? What would be a guess to a max south wind MPH for a guy in my position to go out. Also where are some good spots to launch around Sandy to Oswego to go out of. Its around a 3 hr trip from Ottawa. And from what I'm reading silver stick baits produce as well as spoons. Are you guys running spoons back of the boards with no wieghts?? Any help would be appreciated Thanks Mark

bb33 ,welcome i'll give you a a for effort for the drive with limited info we all here have a pretty good program for the pond but not to give you the impression we cant help i think you should start at WWW.ATTHEOAK.COM scroll down to "total choas" and check his spring brown tatics. this will sorta give you a good idea as what to expect and how to run a good program .west end of the lake is always more forgiving for west s/w/winds wilson /olcott/point breeze(oak orchard)with a good chance of spring salmon and steelies along with the browns,we even had a local bass fisherman catch a salmon this year! a boat is a boat and water is water -------no one knows your abbilities with your boat better than you still if its 15 mph or stronger from st south id stay home s/w to west in your boat above 10mph still could be a gamble .maybe a little more would doable ...also go to fishing report archive for some good info at the oak site for spoons or stix to use/...Ray K.....PS watch the oak site the fishing should kick into high gear by tuesday and smoking by friday..

I used to fish a 14 with a 25 and depending on the winds could do quite well long lining (200' or so) for salmon and trout.

I would go to Fair Haven. At least you always have the bay to fish in if the winds keep you off the lake. You've invested that much effort and money...at least you'll get some fishing in... The bay has many different species!

good luck

I recall a trip two years ago where we fished in some pretty strong southerlies (15 - 20 mph as a guess) out of Fair Haven that was not bad at all. I have a 17'er and we were trolling the shallows.

Depending on water clarity and time of day just about any color stickbait can work well. Naturals, blue, black and anything with orange seem to work pretty consistently. Some days it don't matter what you throw at them they might eat everything or nothing at all.

DAN

Please excuse this if it sounds preachy (I don't mean it to - just hoping that it keeps one or more of us safer...)

With a south wind, one mechanical failure can put you far from shore in a hurry. Carry a good anchor and plenty of line, and a handheld VHF.

Mark