Furno, Raymarine and Hummingbird Units

Last One

Currently looking for a new unit to replace  a Lowrance 113 (6 yrs old) . I fish the Hudson for strippers and Ontario for everything else.

As you all know we look for bait and fish, People tell me they can see huge hooks (Kings) and also they see pods of bait with fish over top or the see fish move.

Furno looks good but they do not have the down or side imagining, Raymarine has the new CP200 side imagaing with shallow and deep settings. Not sure there as good as Furno.

Hummingbird started me off on the down and side, plus the now they have the 360. All I can say for sure is a want a 9"-10" screen and want the best sonar I can get. Lowrance GPS was great, had contour line which showed the depth and also showed the shallows in the river and the tracking feature was great. We use tracking to work a spot. Someone told me there GPS did not track, he had to use way-points to make a line. (think it was a Eagle).

This site is great for information, there are Pro and weekenders with a lot of good information.

i had nothing but furuno on all my boats. They are sweet units BUT not sure what your budget is i would look long and hard at the new Raymarine units especialy the MFD A or E series units. They have some features, software, and new toys that are gonna change the game on the fishery.

I just bought the new E unit after months of researching. 

I Will be installing it over the winter but have seen it in action and it beats every furuno i have ever own,seen or used.

If you look at what the "big boys"use on the ocean it is mainly Furuno units (the high end ones especially) They are pricey but they are good and dependable. If you couple one with an Airmar transducer (exact one dependent on which unit and type of boat application you should be a "happy camper"

If you look at what the "big boys"use on the ocean it is mainly Furuno units (the high end ones especially) They are pricey but they are good and dependable. If you couple one with an Airmar transducer (exact one dependent on which unit and type of boat application you should be a "happy camper"

yeah that was my thinking too as i said i ALWAYS had furuno unitrs on all my boats, with the bronze 600 or 1k thru hull/fairing block made by airmar. My 582 unit would mark bait and fish on plane at 21+ mph. 

BUT as previously stated i researched all options before i purchased the new raymarine unit - The deciding factor was seeing them in action on a 42' post and a 56' hatteras. 

Last one,

Wanted to add the chirp on the new ray units has very good target/bottom/structure separation. Detail is very easy to read and know what is what. I can't comment on the sideview - have not used or seen in action. Keep in mind that asking what's best is like anything else everyone has their favorites that fit there needs- be it gps, reels, downrighers whatever. Just don't settle for what "joe says and has" .... There maybe better units out or a unit that is more suited for your needs/budget/expectations :)

For a combo unit, I've been more than happy with my HB 958c and Airmar SS60(little boat) and B60(big boat) transducers. It will show track on the gps. I also mark bait and fish on plane cruising at 25mps.

My only complaint would be the loose fitting power plug. If I bash a wave hard it may knock out the unit. It happened much more on the 22' Penn Yan.

I have some older high end raymarine units from 2005 on my boat and the the little brother of the Furuno 587 out back and if i had too replace them id have a Furuno 587 install. Even the wicked tuna guys use them. good luck.

I am in the same boat.  Out of convenience I'm going with the raymarine A7 or A9 series.  I can easily network my autopilot into my depthfinder/gps.  One draw-back that kept me from buying a raymarine was finally addressed it was the refresh rate of the gps.  It is now the same as furuno 

My only dilemma now is to get chirp or not.  I am a multi species fisherman and fish walleye, and bass more often than salmon so I think Chirp for me would be good.

Sorry the speed of the GPS was wrong furuno has 10hz (10x a second) and raymarine is 5hz (5x a second) except for the higher end units a9 and higher have 10hz.

Edited by Chas0218

I am in the same boat.  Out of convenience I'm going with the raymarine A7 or A9 series.  I can easily network my autopilot into my depthfinder/gps.  One draw-back that kept me from buying a raymarine was finally addressed it was the refresh rate of the gps.  It is now the same as furuno.

My only dilemma now is to get chirp or not.  I am a multi species fisherman and fish walleye, and bass more often than salmon so I think Chirp for me would be good.

Chas- get the chirp!!!!

Like Tim I recommended Furuno yet I don't have one  have a Lowrance....guess we have our reasons :)

Edited by Sk8man

chirp sucks.  You heard it here don't waste your money.  I payed a fortune for chirp and still end up using old school sonar frequencies.  I would spend the extra couple hundred, not on chirp, but on a screen bigger than 8-10."  Chirp is wayyy overhyped, may be an advantage in the ocean but so not worth it on lake ontario.  Rich and vince use humminbird, if there was something that was way more productive I think those two guys would have it.

So which boat is better Vince viking 35c or rick 10 meter trojan? Vince's okuma's or ricks diawa's the 42' boat I'm have surveyed as we speak must be crap also cause it's not theirs.

Both guys are really good guys not knocking them but there is always better!

The original post is for a 9 to 10" screen and a multi function display unit.

Last statement NO single beam transfucer and give the detail that chirp can!!!! Be it freshwater or saltwater. Have seen and used chirp in both! Garmin and raymarine

Raymarine makes some really nice stuff, and I've seen their chirp first hand this year on two different boats. In my opinion for what we do it's not necessary. Just like Humminbirds side and down imaging isn't necessary, and wont help you catch more fish for what we do. Not to mention most guys out there that cant use the 2D sonar they have correctly! Is it a nice tool to learn and have? YUP! However, the average guy getting out a few times a month, if that, doesn't need to waste money on that technology, again in my opinion.

Here are some screen shots from my bird. Play with all of them and make your decision:

post-139479-0-99805600-1409939900_thumb.jpg

post-139479-0-54893700-1409939904_thumb.jpg

post-139479-0-28974800-1409939907_thumb.jpg

post-139479-0-13019800-1409939910_thumb.jpg

post-139479-0-92357200-1409939912_thumb.jpg

post-139479-0-87721200-1409939915_thumb.jpg

Also, with Humminbird you get the ability to plug and play with a mulitfunctional screen unlike Furuno You have GPS, and can add Radar:

post-139479-0-52260700-1409940046_thumb.jpg

There are also a ton of diferent color pallets to chose from. I like to use this at night or in the morning running:

post-139479-0-32762000-1409940077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller

First to all that have replied, Thank You. To answer Gamble, The Lowrance unit does not have enough detail. In the river you see the archs, but on the lake, bait does look like clouds, but fish look like dots or marks, not arches. One friend of mine has a Furno and says he can tell the size of fish and see them moving.

Yankee, alot of guys do  have Hummingbirds and your screen shots where great :). Does the GPS have a track feature? (which shows your location at all times) First units we looked at where Hummingbirds. I really like the 360. (still not out of the running) Raymarine: I just saw the CP 200 on there web page and thought it would be great for strippers in the river and bait/fish on the lake. when we follow the track back to work a area, fish move side to side. Thought it would help in staying on top of fish.

First to all that have replied, Thank You. To answer Gamble, The Lowrance unit does not have enough detail. In the river you see the archs, but on the lake, bait does look like clouds, but fish look like dots or marks, not arches. One friend of mine has a Furno and says he can tell the size of fish and see them moving.

Yankee, alot of guys do  have Hummingbirds and your screen shots where great :). Does the GPS have a track feature? (which shows your location at all times) First units we looked at where Hummingbirds. I really like the 360. (still not out of the running) Raymarine: I just saw the CP 200 on there web page and thought it would be great for strippers in the river and bait/fish on the lake. when we follow the track back to work a area, fish move side to side. Thought it would help in staying on top of fish.

Yes, the GPS does show a track.