Anyone use RED treble hooks for trolling flys?

Patriot

I wish I could find that article... I did a lot of research on red hooks vs. plain. At the depth you will fish the color is invisible ... but the metal hook is still there. The fish will see the "red hook" in a shade of grey. Plus they say that the coating on the hook will not make them as sharp as a plain hook.

I'll still look for that article ....

Man Les those flys look great! Four beads, great eyes. Ever use in line rattles? My hot fly this year has a green hook with a rattle. It is hard to find the green hooks, thinking of using a dip or fingernail polish. :lol:

any ideas or places that sell green Quality, hooks?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

reel force - red and orange are the first two colors to "change" / disapper in the water column. I can't remember if it is 30 or 40 feet down that the color turns.

As for sharpening them - i use owner hooks and they are razor sharp - all it takes is few passes with a hook file 

Thanks John and Ralph. It is kind of fun having them grab something you make so these are the only flies I use now. They are a little heavier with bigger heads than commercial fresh water flies and that is on purpose to slow things down a bit in the water because I noticed in videos of trout and salmon chasing flies behind flashers and Spinneys that even though the fish are fast swimmers they often seem to have some difficulty with lateral movement in catching the flies. John unfortunately I have no idea where to find green hooks.  These red ones seem pretty sharp as I have stuck myself a couple times tying :lol:  The Lake O ones are a little bigger yet

As far as the pros and cons of using red hooks I guess the jury is still out. The whole color thing relating to fish is really a "mess" scientifically anyway. Much of what is in the literature is based on HUMAN vision and yet the eye structure of fish is quite different and how the heck are the fish going to report what THEY see anyway :lol:  I pretty much use whatever I have on hand as far as trebles and I have a bunch of the reds so I use them...the hardness of the hooks is as important as the sharpness too. Mustad triple X's are actually the strongest and very sharp.

post-145411-0-59173400-1409705017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Hey ... I found it ... http://www.in-fisherman.com/gear-accessories/red-hooks-tackle-revisited/

I also cut my last post a lil short ... was gonna end it by saying - "It all comes down to a confidence thing" ... :yes:

Thanks, I enjoyed reading that article. One part caught my attention.

"The report concludes, “as water becomes more turbid, differences in penetration of blue and red light become less.†According to more recent studies in freshwater, red can actually penetrate deeper than blue in highly turbid conditions.".

So a day after a big blow, red should come into play here on Lake Ontario.