snapping line

I've been running 15# leader for spoons and haven't broke one off during a fight this season. How old is your Stren? You should be good with appropriate drag. Flasher rods and mainline on spoons get 30# Big Game.

I did have a fish take a spoon when I was in the cabin and didn't see the hit and get to the rod quick enough to loosen a tight drag and the same with a flasher on Saturday but I think that broke at the twists for the Blacks release.

If your Stren is fresh, your problem is something else.

Get rid of the Stren I stopped using it years ago for the very same reason you mentioned it has lousy breaking and knot strength and the line deteriorates rapidly in the sunlight. Use 30 lb  Big Game mono for a main line helps with fleas (unless they are real bad) for main line and a 20 lb Seaguar fluoro leader and you'll be in business. In Spring for brown action in close switch to a 10 or 12 lb fluoro leader. As far as the lb test issue we used 12 lb Hombre (the forerunner of Big Game and used in salt water) on Lake O for many years before the fleas showed up without breakage. If your drag is set properly and is in good condition (many aren't) you shouldn't be having line breaks if the line is good.

Good Quality line is a must! We run McCoy Mean Green 25lb test all season. When we are running spoons we leader down (Flouro) to 10lb for BT and 15lb for Salmon. When we are running 8" paddles we use 20lb flouro leaders, and when we run meat paddles its the mono straight to the paddle.

You also need to make sure your line weights are rated for the action rods your using. 

Edited by Yankee Troller

Back in the mid 90's before the fleas showed up, all we ever ran on our rigger rods was 12 lb Trilene XT and many 30+ kings hit the deck.  With a smooth, properly set drag and matched tackle, 17 isn't necessarily too light, but you can't try and horse them in.

I run heavy braid (50#) and light leaders (15#), Most guys only run mono I have found even with my braid and no stretch I don't break off.  Are you running leaders? where is the line breaking?

This leads me to think it is bad knots or sun rotted line.

We just bought the line that week and what the worst part is i had a realscreamer on for 1.5 mins. Just screaming non stop and i letm run then all the sudden nothing so i started reeling as fast as i could becuse i thot it was coming toward the boat and the whole f/f setup was gone just weird and mostly aggrivating!!!

We just bought the line that week and what the worst part is i had a realscreamer on for 1.5 mins. Just screaming non stop and i letm run then all the sudden nothing so i started reeling as fast as i could becuse i thot it was coming toward the boat and the whole f/f setup was gone just weird and mostly aggrivating!!!

Had the same thing happen and ended up being bottom. Our outside dipsy got too shallow on a shelf I didn't mark and hit bottom in 67 fow.

I think your issue is not line strength so much as your drag. We consistently run 17 pound test (Trilene XT) and have never had any issues. When we did have a break-off it was the fluoro that broke. Heck, we have even landed mature kings on 6' ultralights and 8 pound mono (see attached). Patience is the key, but a loose drag will prevent against ripping the hooks out of their mouth and/or breaking line - provided you stop trolling to fight the fish.

post-150547-0-15718900-1409844904_thumb.jpg

post-150547-0-45119500-1409844918_thumb.jpg

We use 30 lb big game mono main line, and then double uni to a 20lb fluoro leader. I can't remember the last time we had a break off.  I only use Seaguar or P-Line fluoro leader.

We are thinking of going down to 12 lb leader next year, as I've heard from some very reputable charter captains that the catch rate increases.

another thing simple as it sounds for all my salmon rods (setups) back when i fished 100 days a year i would check each swivel knot with a 10 lb rigger weight its amazing even tho ya think every knot was done perfect ,sometimes ya miss wrap a line and it breaks real easy..even after 100's of ties i would still have a failure on ocasion ..better found in the driveway or floor of boat than after a 10 min fight....

Flasher swivel rings and the rings on dipsy swivel are wide.  When tying to a large ring use the Trilene Knot otherwise your knot may be slipping.  Twice thru the ring then an improved cinch knot.  I would agree with others that 30 lb mono should be tied directly to a flasher.

I'm with Tim, other than the flee problem 17lb is not to light if the drags are set right and you let them tire out. I used to run straight 12lb and never broke a fish but on occasion had the dodger/flasher come back with only a portion of leader because they took the squid/fly off and that was 50lb. Of course the line has to be quality and not old neither. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Flasher swivel rings and the rings on dipsy swivel are wide.  When tying to a large ring use the Trilene Knot otherwise your knot may be slipping.  Twice thru the ring then an improved cinch knot.  I would agree with others that 30 lb mono should be tied directly to a flasher.

I prefer the Palomar knot for everything.  I used to tie Trilene knots and they seemed to break off more.

A side note if you have large diameter line (40lbs big game for flea season) and are trying to tie a small diameter like 12lbs use a Bristol knot http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bristol-knot or a Yucatan Knot  http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/yucatan-knot/

I usually use the bristol knot without any issues.

Edited by Chas0218