Oneida

My buddies and I are planning a trip to NY for Sept 20th weekend. Originally we planned to troll big O for salmons. According to the reports on here, it's been a tough summer. We'd hate to spend the $ on another busted trip (did that lots of times already). Plan B is to hit the finger lakes, but we been there, done that.......I suggested Oneida for smallies and walleyes. I don't know a thing about that lake. Never fished it, nor did we ever catch any walleye. They're tough to come by here in PA. I did just get a fishing hotspots maps for Oneida. I like those maps, so far so good. They seem to have some decent info. 

So long story short, is Oneida worth the trip in mid Sept? I wouldn't mind hitting Black lake or the 1000 islands again this year, but that's 7 hours from home and is kinda far for a weekend. Oneida is only about 3.5 hours. We'd be fishing from a 17' aluminum deep V. I have riggers on it along with a 70lb trolling motor. 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke. It's awesome on gas so running around won't be a big deal as long as it's fairly calm. I'd think Oneida could get snotty due to it's size. 

If it's worth while, any decent places to stay at outside of Syracuse? We come right up I-81 and I'm thinking the east side would suit us well. We don't need anything fancy, a cheap motel or cabin or something is all wed need.

Thanks in advance

I fished from 10 to 12:30 on Sunday just trolling around with small perch sticks on the riggers on bottom and reef runners down around 30 feet.  Landed 6 walleyes (four keepers) and 8 perch up to 12 inches, one 3.5# smallmouth.  Pretty typical fall catch for me except usually we get more perch.  Not bad for the short time we were there.  Perch like those F7 Rapalas 8 feet behind the ball plus we caught two walleyes on that rig the other day.  Fished 35 to 40 fow a mile or two east of the south shore launch

Hey Miss em did the sheriffs stop you Sunday?  They were all over the south shore launch area and made me head to shore to show proof of registration because stupid me left it in the truck.  WIth that said  Mooseknuckle be sure to meet all the coast guard regulations so you dont get sent back to the launch.  Life jackets, throw device, distress flag, whistle or horn, fire extinguisher, and registration area what they asked me to show.   If near dusk or dawn Im sure they would want to see running lights as well.  Just check up on the USCG regulations before heading out.  Now with that said Oneida can be like all waters, a tough bite at times but there are also plenty great days on the lake.  The fall perch bite is starting to kick in and there are some nice jumbo perch in there as well.   Due to theft I have not the tackle I once had so Im been a bit more limited on my presentations. Bucktail Jigs are top of the list for fishing on Oneida tipped with half a night crawler.  Most of the time the locals are pretty friendly so dont be afraid to ask questions.  The state launches usually have Cornell students there doing creel counts and checking boats and trailers for aquatic species still attached to them. Ask them as well they usually have some insight on whos catching walleye and where. Its a great fishery and Im sure you will enjoy it once you get the bite figured out.  Just google cabins on Oneida lake there are plenty of options to stay at or there is a couple new Hotels close by next door to Gander Mountain, actually in the same parking lot.  I will more than likely be out there on the 21st myself. 

Should have no trouble getting eyes on oneida if you troll. Miss em is spot on with the small rapalas.Check out the walleye section too. Otisco has been very tough all summer, but night action is solid in september. Otisco has bigger eyes, but tougher to catch. Otisco is also fishable in most winds as its small. Pm me if you want more info..

3 fish limit, 15" minimum on Oneida.  I'm curious about the trolling for those who have suggested it.  I've caught eyes on Oneida while trolling but never did it in the fall.   Would late September be too late to have them still suspended in open water?  I'll probably be there for the final weekend in September and really planned on doing a ton of casting to them but I'll troll if it's "still on" at that point in time.