Dipsey Divers

fbg14619

How are you letting them out? Free spooling? If you let them out to quick they can flutter on the way down. Just loosen the drag and let them creep out. Check that the weight didn't slide out of place either.

As for leader length typically the length of your rod for netting fish. I fish solo a lot so only run mine about 6 feet and still catch plenty of fish.

How are you letting them out? Free spooling? If you let them out to quick they can flutter on the way down. Just loosen the drag and let them creep out. Check that the weight didn't slide out of place either.

As for leader length typically the length of your rod for netting fish. I fish solo a lot so only run mine about 6 feet and still catch plenty of fish.

I had thumb on spool and clicker on. Did not try with letting the drag take it out.

Mine have twisted when bouncing bottom with them. It looks like a gentle bounce to the rod tip but still bent about the same.  Also make sure you have the weighted keel is positioned correctly underneath. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be in the front, I can't remember without it being in front of me.

Edited by Chas0218

The leader should be long enough to make the distance from your dipsey to your bait the same length as your rod.  You want it as long as possible, but not too long that you have to hand line your fish in the final 10 ft.  Making all the tackle the same length as your rod, generally gets the fish close enough to the net.

If it is all tangled every time you retrieve, you must be letting it out way too fast. There should be decent pull on the rod as it goes out.  Start out letting it out slowly and then go faster until you start seeing tangling problems again, then you know what the limit is.