New NY boat law for invasive controls

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday (September 2, 2014) signed legislation requiring boat owners to use "reasonable precautions" to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species.

The steps include cleaning, draining and drying the boat and trailer of visible plant and animal matter after pulling vessels out of the water.

Under the new law, first offenses would result in a written warning, while subsequent violations could prompt fines starting at $250 and topping out at $1,000.

............it won't go into effect for a year, and includes a "sunset" provision that repeals it on June 1, 2019.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Boat-law-adds-to-invasive-controls-5729554.php

Cornell has been doing a really great job on Oneida lake educating boaters and also inspecting boats entering and exiting the launches.  A quick few questions are asked and then they ask permission to look over your boat and trailer.  This is one law I can actually agree with.  I hope there is more educating on the matter other than just a signed bill though.  I would guess fisherman are much more informed and leary about these invasive plants than recreational boaters. 

Do you guys not see a problem with this?  You think if a enforcement officer wants to fine you he can find something? Your crazy if you don't.

I'm not for spreading invasive but the most invasive species we have are government officials living off working tax payers!  Who gets to define reasonable? This is horrible when they have the right to fine and tax you now for it.

That's my opinion. I could go on, but in the long run this will make the water systems only for the elite.

I am normally with you on these types of issues but I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt they are going to be picky on this and will write very few tickets. The fact they now have a tool to educate people it good. They can now say "I could write you a ticket but im going to inform you instead" is what I anticipate happening

Invasive plants are ruining many good waterways and lakes and NYS pays a ton of money to both prevent, treat and clean them up

This is a law that is an overall win for the community and will not be harshly enforced unless highly egregious 

I am normally with you on these types of issues but I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt they are going to be picky on this and will write very few tickets. The fact they now have a tool to educate people it good. They can now say "I could write you a ticket but im going to inform you instead" is what I anticipate happening

Invasive plants are ruining many good waterways and lakes and NYS pays a ton of money to both prevent, treat and clean them up

This is a law that is an overall win for the community and will not be harshly enforced unless highly egregious 

You put way too much faith in people that have to generate revenue to justify there existence, especially in this back-ass state.

I'd really like to see them tell me my boat isn't clean enough after I'm done pressure washing at the marina, considering that my boat only sees one body of water, and it sits there from the time it goes in it's slip in the spring til I tow it home for the winter.

If you trailer a boat or water-related equipment like docks and lifts in Minnesota, you must take AIS training and get a trailer decal.

• Online training will be available here on January 5, 2015.
  • Paper home-study training packets will also be available.
  • Trailer decals are required on trailers starting July 1, 2015.

Rest the rest here:

http://www.trailers.mndnr.gov/

I have always trailered my boat but ALWAYS  head for the nearest car wash EVERY time after I use my boat for two reasons: one it is a pretty thorough wash down with hot water under pressure to get rid of everything (visible at least) and two it helps keep the boat looking good....yeah it is a pain when you are tired after fishing etc. but it is well worth the effort. As much as anyone I hate the overbearing heavy handed  NYS approach to trying to deal with problems per se but unfortunately many folks using the lakes are not either aware or just aren't responsible in doing their share to clean their boats so in the words of one of my previous work colleagues "I feel strongly both ways"  :lol: 

This afternoon one of the dune stewards did a short survey with me at the Port Ontario launch. She was saying that you have to clean your boat off before you leave the launch area. It'll be warnings at first then you could be ticketed.

If this stops the spread of invasive species I'm all for it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have always trailered my boat but ALWAYS  head for the nearest car wash EVERY time after I use my boat for two reasons: one it is a pretty thorough wash down with hot water under pressure to get rid of everything (visible at least) and two it helps keep the boat looking good....yeah it is a pain when you are tired after fishing etc. but it is well worth the effort. As much as anyone I hate the overbearing heavy handed  NYS approach to trying to deal with problems per se but unfortunately many folks using the lakes are not either aware or just aren't responsible in doing their share to clean their boats so in the words of one of my previous work colleagues "I feel strongly both ways"  :lol:

damn that's a good idea. Honestly never thought about washing my boat in the car wash! Gonna have to give that a try!

If this about the invasive weed issue, then why doesn't the state help the boaters by installing wash stations at the ramps instead of giving fines . Its just one more way to take more of your money.

Yeah a wash station at EVERY RAMP sounds incredibly practical  

I can remember not to long ago when we had to have our trailers & lower units steamed cleaned before launching because of the fear of spreading zebra muzzles......didn't last long :wondering: . ...this too will pass in a year or two. 

If the clean earth people really want to stop the spread of invasives then they should campaign to rid all pet and aquarium stores from selling anything that is not native to the US.

Does this same scenario hold for the oversea freighters who were nice enough to give us zebra mussels, lampreys, rusty crawfish, spiny water fleas & so many other species of plants & animal I can't begin to mention? They seem to be pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Does this same scenario hold for the oversea freighters who were nice enough to give us zebra mussels, lampreys, rusty crawfish, spiny water fleas & so many other species of plants & animal I can't begin to mention? They seem to be pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Thank You!!!!!

I can remember not to long ago when we had to have our trailers & lower units steamed cleaned before launching because of the fear of spreading zebra muzzles......didn't last long :wondering: . ...this too will pass in a year or two. 

If the clean earth people really want to stop the spread of invasives then they should campaign to rid all pet and aquarium stores from selling anything that is not native to the US.

dont go blaming this on some "ohh its them hippy clean earth liberals" this is an issue that impacts all fishermen and boaters and it good for all of us

damn that's a good idea. Honestly never thought about washing my boat in the car wash! Gonna have to give that a try!

I see potential. ...I can stop driving the stupid truck for a living and set up boat washes! At THE LAUNCH..CAUSE THEY WANT IT DONE BEFORE YA LEAVE..let's see 1 dollar or 2 per foot...I can retire! Cha ching...cha ching..💰💰💰💲💲💲

Cent frum my notso smart fone

yeah you will get allot of the vegetation off using wash stations etc but your not going to be 100% affective. there will be seeds etc left stuck in a crack etc..this issue is gonna be just like the "Dont Move Firewood" issue with the emerald ash borer...You not supposed to move firewood more than 50 miles I think it was...I do it all the time, never been asked about my entire pickup truck load of wood when I pull into register at any DEC campsite..

I know ADK. .LOL..I was just following the money train!..what a concept! Somebody said for the elite. ..my guess is those will be the target when all of us poor folks who only can buy enough gas to troll for one day are home couch fishing.

Cent frum my notso smart fone