Off Braddocks 9/7/14, Costly and Painful!

Was a little nervous with the weather reports but lake was better than I thought. I took 2 guys out from the fire department and we launched at 7am. This day would turn out to be costly and painful, but priceless when fishing with your friends.

We headed out to 85' and set up on a west troll. Ran 2 wires with Dipsey/SD/Fly and 4 spoons on the riggers. About 15 minutes in the 210 wire fires (clear dipsey 2.5 setting, white double crush glow SD, hammer fly) with a decent fish, lost it after a short battle. Skippy king later on, which ended up being a painful fish. 120fow, 80 rigger, DW Blue Dolphin. This fish ended up tangling with the other line stacked on that rigger. After getting the fish in the boat and trying to remove both lures, we caught a nice wave and fish decided it wanted to thrash at the same time. I ended up with the treble hook embeddd in my hand. I threw that fish back and as we were discussing how to remove the hook the other rigger fires. 76' rigger, white double crush glow SD and hammer fly 135fow. As he was bringing the line in I noticed something was wrong. This line was tangled with the wire. By the time I got the wire untangled it felt like the fish was gone. I had a mess on the rigger line and had to cut it. As he was pulling the line in by hand he tells me "I think the fish is still on". Good thing it didn't fight anymore. We landed that fish and had some laughs all while having a spoon still connected to my hand. I cut the treble part of the hook and removed the hook. His wife wanted dinner so we kept that fish (smaller one in pic).

I get all the lines reset and I as I am tieing a new wire line knot the same 76' rigger combo fires again and starts striping line 150fow . Finally it is my turn. I get the fish to the boat and my buddy nets the fish. Instead of pulling it up straight vertically he tried lifting it up horizontaly. Snap goes the net and thankful we were still able to get the fish in the boat. No more hits and we headed in around 11am.

So after breaking a net, dealing with a few tangles and embedding a treble hook in my hand, it was still pricless when fishing with friends. We had lots of laughs and I got a text later that night saying how good the salmon was for dinner. 

Rick

post-147013-0-42808100-1410182183_thumb.jpg

post-147013-0-87415600-1410182210_thumb.jpg

post-147013-0-35917300-1410182218_thumb.jpg

post-147013-0-14409100-1410182228_thumb.jpg

Nice fishing. I've had to do the old push it through and cut off the barb routine once, that's enough for me. I swear those fish wait until your hand gets close enough and then try to exact some revenge.

Feel for you, had a pike hook go through the skin on my knuckle as a 8 year old. Back then pushed the hook through a new hole, cut the hook and pulled it through. Lesson learned about hook awareness early in my life.

gotta love the newbie net move.  i had a fish once jump and spit the hook close to the dock (jigging) and the tension in the rod caused it to swing up and around and peg me right between the sholder blades this was a 1/4 ounce lead head i felt that for days and had a bruse the size of a baseball from it.  I swear that fish practiced that move. he didnt fight at all till the last second as i was getting ready to lift him up.  glade you got the hook out without any major damage keep an eye on it for infection

I had a similar experience a couple of Sundays ago out of Hughes.  Waves  pretty big, kicker and auto pilot couldn't keep up with them, main engine wouldn't go, huge tangled mess under the boat and one rainbow to show for it.  Still here though.  To say it was interesting is an understatement.  

I feel your pain and loss.

Had an incident years ago fishing late in the year at Rochester in the river. Landed a king hooked in the tail on a J-Plug. Sure enough with a flip of the tail the hook was through my thumb. About two hours in the ER the doc says he is surprised to see a hook without lead molded onto it? He tried two different tools, but neither would cut it. He ended up having to just press down the barb and work it out.

Last Thursday at the Oak my first Salmon Net purchased in the 70's finally bit the bullet after four kings earlier in the day. The fish was near the boat when Bridget realized the net was broke and said, "what do we don?" I reached over and grabbed it under the gill plate. Fortunately it was pretty calm and king was whipped. 

Buried a treble hook in my leg one day I went to a afterhours and was lucky they had a cutter to snip the hook.If not I would have had to ED and it could have cost me over a thousand.Not a bad idea to but a hook cutter just in case you need to take out a hook.Mine is in my tool tbox  ready for the next foul hook fisherman.