Keuka Lake fish advisory to be dropped?

guff

The fish advisory is DEAD!!!!!!

The State Department of Health website states: "Keuka Lake no longer has any specific advisory for eating fish. Everyone can enjoy eating up to 4 meals a month from this lake."

Maybe i'm mistaken, but wasn't the reason you couldn't sell trout, salmon (and other species) from NY lakes because of the health advisories?  I'm not suggesting commercial harvesting of our trout and salmon, but I wouldn't mind selling my weekends catch to a restaurant for instance. No fish to clean, and gas money! Yeah, that sounds good to me. If I could do that, I'd quit my job and go fishing almost every day...  :lol:

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Im aware the regs. The question was, "isn't that the reason we can't sell fish in NY" in fact, before commenting, I checked the regs, to see if the was another reason. Its my understanding we cant sell NY trout or salmon due to the health restrictions. You must not have understood what I said.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My understanding has always been that trout, bass, walleyes, salmon, pike and muskies  were not to be sold because they are considered as "game fish" while perch, whitefish and other panfish (sunnys, bluegills, crappies etc.) and bullheads could be legally sold. I believe the restriction relating to toxins applied to the American Eel. This was all previous to the initiation of the fish advisory by the DEC. I am unsure of the actual rationale behind it though and have always found it a bit "puzzling".

Edited by Sk8man

I asked a DEC officer years ago, why our trout and salmon couldn't be sold. (Im aware of the game fish status) One of the reasons he gave me was the health advisory, the other related to the number of stocked fish by the state and they were not naturally sustainable.

Keep in mind, im not talking commercial fishing, but I could get into trouble if I made a habit selling trout and salmon from the fingerlakes to local restaurants. What a market you could have! What tourist wouldn't pay 20$ for lanlocked salmon fresh from Seneca lake, with a glass of local wine? Hmm... imagine that!

That was all I was saying. If i could do that, I'd quit my job and take les fishing every day he could tolerate with me. I might even cut him in on some of the spoils!

Les, your correct from my understanding as well. Interesting note, not sure if this is still the practice or not, when they measure a sample or "fish", the whole fish is used for the sample. If you were to take that same fish, (in most bodies of NY waters) I wouldn't include Onandaga, and just use a fillet with no belly fat or skin, it would be cleaner than a head of lettuce at wegmans. The dept of health can not just use that information as most parts of the fish in some cultures are edible so they have to use the entire fish as the sample. My theory on the selling of trout / gamefish was the state didn't want the fisheries to be removed for a sale whe they just spent tax payers money putting them there...... Or sustaining it.....

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

:) Jason I'm with you bud on that... and I think you hit it on the head when you said  about the stocking and not being a sustainable fishery...probably a matter of $$$ from the state's point of view (as Mike noted.  All of us would probably be out even on windy days like this.... :lol:  

P.S. I always enjoy fishing with you folks.....and scout has been revealing some of your deepest fishing secrets too :lol:

Les

Don't mean to be a buzz kill but If you quit your day job to live off the spoils of selling fish isn't that commercial fishing? I'm thinking we (and others) would all do it and devastate the fish stock. Lets keep it for fun and personal satisfaction.

People that catch fish with a hook sinker and fishing rod should not be allowed to sell their catch. Its a shame we have a few sportsman on this board that wish they could sell their catch if they could. Sports fishing was meant to have a good time. Take fishing vacations and enjoy fishing on your days off from work with your friends I think if some of you had a real job you would have a different attitude. New York State is one of 3 states left in the US, you can sell pan fish. I remember back in the early 80s when Reagan was president we were in a severe recession. ice fishing on Oneida lake was fantastic for big perch. You could go out and catch 100 nice 12 to 15 inch perch. Guys came up to me and bragged that they made more money sitting home collecting unemployment and fishing everyday plus selling their catch. In two years that fishery was fished out. We have the same problem on Seneca lake during the winter. Some guys go out catch there limit come in and go out and catch more. These guys sell their catch. This is not sportsmanship. New York is so liberal with everything they do. You figure some of these sports clubs could get together and push for a bill in our state government to stop pan fish sales

Im allowed 5 trout per day, every day in season. If I sell them to a restaurant, or put them in my freezer, does that determine the difference between commercial or recreation?

As far as my "job" , I have to work to fish a 60 day fishing average. Welfare or UN employment I dont qualify for, since im a business owner. And I dont pan fish! Waste of my 65$ an hr time... so to put things back into perspective, this conversation was merely " hypothetical" and just a good " what if" ! Don't get so upset, you'll never see the state allow us that privilege. As far as Seneca perch, last year was a bumper crop! Dont know where you were, but they were hot every day I had lunch at the pier!

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Excuse me! I gave 10 fish to schuyler county employees for a fish fry last tourny. Thats out of over 30 fish caught. Most released, but on tourny day, we keep potential's and cull from there. So, what your saying is if I sell them for boat gas instead, im not sportsman like?

Buy the way, I do sell fishing tackle. Ive been in the " business" for over 30 years. It would be nice to take advantage of a few " niche" markets that would obviously love to purchase local trout and salmon. What could possibly be " UN sportsmen like" about that? I never claimed to be a " sportsman" about fishing, im a " professional". Should professional fisherpersons be considered" UN sportsmen like" just because they make money fishing? You comments make no sense to me.

My comment about selling my catch was in jest. I certanly realize our finger lakes would be devasted if this were the case. Furthermore the fish are a public resource. Besides how much could i make selling 3 fish a day even if i could catch them everyday. I cant speak for jason but i was just joking.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think it should be noted that the whole idea is hypothetical and not a current reality so nobody should be getting bent out of shape about it at this point. If it were to ever happen I'm sure NYS would be the first to regulate it and require an expensive commercial license  requirement making it unprofitable from point one.  Discussions of various topics on here can be productive and informative but when the emotions get involved things can deteriorate quickly and can detract from the quality of the information and discussion.  Maybe we should step back a bit and relax on this one.

Edited by Sk8man

My comment about selling my catch was in jest. I certanly realize our finger lakes would be devasted if this were the case. Furthermore the fish are a public resource. Besides how much could i make selling 3 fish a day even if i could catch them everyday. I cant speak for jason but i was just joking.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Exactly! I said the same thing. This was just a good " what if" conversation. The part that offended me was being compared to some one needing " assistance" of some type to sustain. Like im gonna sell buckets of perch to pay my bills! Sure gas money for the boat is always welcome! Im not rich, so an extra few bucks for gas would be a good bonus any day. That was all I was suggesting.

I know gas is very expensive today. It cut into my fishing 60 percent. It cost me 100 dollars round trip just for my truck to fish Seneca. It cost more for the boat. I use to make two trips to Ohio every year to fish for walleye. High gas has stopped my trips there. I can afford the gas, I refuse to let my government and Big oil suck me dry. I love my fishing but I have a limit on how much I'm willing to pay to go fishing. It makes more since to me to put my money somewhere else till the gas comes down a little. To sell fish to help pay for gas is a can of worms. Your idea is to make money. If you are a fishing guide raise your price to take people out fishing. Its a lot cheaper now for a lot of people to fish with a guide than go out and buy your own equipment to go fishing. The sad thing about being a guide there’s no money in it to make a living. Just enough money to keep the boat going.   

Great lakes lure

You think we have it good today we had it better 40 years ago. Its was better back in the old days. We had everybody paying into the system and we had a lot of things for free. Today I pay more and get less for it. I agree The dec has done a good job with our lakes. Our boat launches are in terrible shape. Very little maintenance at most of them. Fewer people using them every year. You said you would pay 150 dollars to clean your trailer because you were one of the passive Americans that let our politicians get away with these foreigners coming in with their dirty ships and dumping their crap in our water. Yes I agree times are changing not for the better. Pretty soon you wont be-able to afford your fishing because they have you brainwashed to believe you have to pay more to enjoy your sport. I'm paying to much now. Its cheaper now for me to go out and pay to go fishing. I'm ready to sell the boat and screw them all. My boat is still setting home and its probably going to sit there all year, these bastards wont screw me. This is election year. Get rid of them. I saw the better days. They will never come back during my lifetime. You like to pay. Keep paying. Some day you wont be able to afford it.  

Bigfoot

How long have you lived camped, fish and worked in New York State. Almost 62 years for me. This state is in the worst shape I have ever seen it during my lifetime. Your passport is good for somebody that likes to launch at any state park. I agree its a good deal if you use it for this purpose. Your passport is not helping out with any state ramps. Its going in the general fund to help pay for the liberal empire of NY city. Take a good look at the conditions of the state ramps now. Your sleeping here. I agree our parks are underfunded .We don’t need most of them now. We don’t have the population to help fund them anymore. Why do you think the state is taking them over because the people think the government is better. Our people are moving out of New York because of liberal mentality I think the state should close up the parks that don’t get the use, or turn them over to a private enterprise. Sampson state Park is one of them now that’s going under. Take a good look at the marina. It should have been closed up 5 years ago for safety reasons. The roads in the park are deplorable. This is one park the state should try and move off to the private sector now. No it will be closed up someday. Don t say it wont happen. I can see the handwriting on the wall. Anybody that camps in New York State that gets a camp site can go to any state park during your reservation time and use that park the same day any ware in our state for free. I do it all the time. A passport is useless for me. Deans cove is just an experiment. If it works out you will see it in all state ramps. All ramps are empty now during the week. It makes no since to have somebody collect your money during the week. Just weekends. What I would do is boycott this ramp and send a message to the idiots that want to come up with another tax to stop this stupid thing now. It cost more to put in a machine. Its cheaper to have somebody collect your money on weekends.    

Ray, 

I thought I remembered you from other topics.

Of all the posts Iv'e seen from you, you never have anything good to say and you always blame the "liberals" for your problems. In addition, you challenge the opinions, and statements of some of the most experienced fishermen on this site, and your way off base with your opinions.  You were wrong about the ramps, the empire pass, the invasive issue, Seneca perch populations,etc. Judging by what you said that your boat hasn't left the house and probably won't I don't think your opinions are based on fact, or experience. Just the ramblings of some one who is p-d off at the world and has a poor attitude about everything. This is the world we live in, and we all have to do our best with the situations were given. The days of a dollar gallon of gas are gone and never returning, and so are a lot of things. If you can't learn to roll with the changes, you wind up a grumpy old man with anger issues, and thats bad for your health.

No, I am not a guide, I make and sell fishing lures (as my user name would suggest) and I tournament fish the Fingerlakes and Lake Ontario. I fish between 50-60 days a year. I have camped,  slept on my boat, showered and grilled in almost every state park, private marina, and launches in those waterways, so I think I have a good understanding of the conditions, and the volume of traffic they see. And yes, I do like to make money, who doesn't? 

Now that I know your MO I will refrain from listening or responding to you when you don't make any sense. Try to get out and enjoy our beautiful state. It really is a sportsmans paradise out there.