Owasco Owasco 9/7/14 South End (GLL Fishing Team) FLTA Tourny

Great Lakes Lure Fishing Team arrived at Owasco Sat morning. This trip it was just my girlfriend(Theresa) our dog Scout and myself. Theresa is new to trolling this year, and this would be our first tourny as a Duo. I have over 50 trips in this year with Theresa, Teaching her as much as I can and i'm confident she will be able to step up to this task.  I am always excited about Owasco Lake, it always puts up some impressive fishing! We launched around 630 Sat am for our pre fish. Our plan was (2) 5 leader rigs, not our usual 20 spoon spread.  We first fished the entire lake, catching fish only on the south end. We had some nice fish, and by 11 am we went 6 out of 8, losing 2 very nice fish. After a brief rest and some early supper, we went back at it for the evening. This time focusing on Seward point area, where we seemed to mark the most fish and did the best action. From 530-800pm we went 9-11, losing 1 really nice fish that broke off on a 15lb test leader. Ended the day 15 out of 19 and we were impressed with the bite and looking forward to tomorrow. 

Sunday morning we hit the water about 600 am. As soon as we hit the drop off on the south end, (4) 5 leader rigs in the water, all 50 ft of top line. No sooner did we get set up, 3 out of 4 rigs were hooked up. From that moment, untill we pulled our gear it was non stop action all day. (1) double and (2) tripples on 5 leader rigs. We went 15 out of 17, losing 2 really nice fish. One laker that was all of 10-12 lbs spit the hook right at the back of the boat. It was so close, I considered jumping for it, but tried to get to the shifter in time to go into reverse. No luck, fish went down before I could get to the shifter. (had a 5 leader rig still in my hand) At one point we had the boat in auto pilot and both of us were pulling rigs and clearing and culling fish.  By 1130 we were limited out and pulled our gear to head in. I was so wore out by 1100, I was ready to pull our gear and quit, but decided to limit out. This was a good decision as our last fish was a rainbow, almost a lb bigger than the one we had, and another 24"  laker to add to the weigh in box. 

We finished 4th, and were pretty impressed with our efforts. The fish on Owasco were agressive, to say the least, and none of them were easy fish to boat, hand lining 5 leader rigs. I am really impressed with  Theresa. She has come a long way since the begining of our season, and she has now proven she has what it takes to become a very good rig fisherWoman!  Pulling rigs, driving the boat, netting fish, Docking the boat, She has it all down! 

As for lures, we caught most of our fish on either  Firetiger KW Ratt-o-Lures, and all White KW Ratt-o-lures. The 2 Rainbows were caught on blk/purple KW Ratt-o-Lure and red back KW heavy troll. All Great Lakes Lures. 

Congratulations to Russ McDowell for an impressive 36 + lb box! He was limited out and done fishing by 930 am! 

post-154630-0-17277500-1410197891_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-91209300-1410197912_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-52743200-1410197933_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-88545100-1410197954_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Jason

Thanks Alex, we traded our box of trout for 5 live lobster's and a lb of wild scallops, but Theresa was proud of her bow and was reluctant to give it up. (I thought it was a fair trade off, no fish to clean)

Sorry you missed Owasco Walt. Hope to see you and June at the meeting the 10th.

Your welcome John. About the lures, I owe you a few more. You left too much money, so I will get you a few of the blk/ppl lures we ran this wknd. 2 of the fish in our box came on that new color scheme. I almost gave up on the color till yesterday, but it earned another chance.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great job guys !! Good to see Theresa hand over handing rigs ... I love light tackle now but there's nothing that beats hand over handing a monster on a rig... Nice box of fish and see you a Keuka. .

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice work Jason....Theresa is a real "keeper" bud.  In addition to being good at the fishing and conversation  she is an excellent  and attentive driver. I've witnessed it firsthand but Scout should also be mentioned as a good navigator as I don't want to incur his wrath before our next outing :lol::yes:

Thanks everyone! We really had a great time on Owasco. I can't say enough how proud I am with Theresa's progress and her determination to learn and stick it out even when it's rough and rainy. She has been a reel inspiration to me, and keeps me motivated even when things go wrong. Can't ask for a better fishing partner or life partner! 

As for Scout, He got upset when I went down to clean and organize the boat. I could hear him barking and whining, so I had to go get him. All he wanted to do was get back in the boat! Geesh, if I could teach him how to fish!! Imagine that! 

Thanks Mike. I finally got her to leave the hand lotion at home...  :lol:  Took me this long to convince her that was the reason it was slipping out of her hands. I don't care if her hands are rough.... I kinda like that.

My girlfriend's boss was in mass to visit family. She brought back 3 coolers full of live lobsters, and 10 lbs of scallops. She had asked us for fish on several occasions, and called us on her way back to see if we wanted any lobsters. When we told her we had a cooler full of trout, she made us a deal we couldn't refuse. Probably once in a lifetime deal, but those lobster sure were good! Bacon wrapped scallops the last 2 nights weren't bad either.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, the discussion on selling trout (Keuka lake post) kinda came about because Theresa suggested getting a refrigerated van to bring lobster and other sea food back from the coast. She has family there as well and made the trip a few times and brought back lobster. Her thinking is that there is really no place to buy seafood around here besides Tops, and they only have lobster on occasion and not really much of a selection otherwise. She thinks a Seafood store here would be a great business idea, and honestly I think she's right. The lobster Linda brought back were $4.00 a lb! Tops sells lobster for $12-$13 a lb. Hmmm... Gonna have to think about that one!

If I go to Mass, Wanna drive half the way? Then we can "field test" all the seafood you can eat!

When we got back from Owasco, we had to wait at the County building for about 45 mins until Linda arrived. During that time, Theresa suggested that a lot of people would probably be willing to wait at a "rendezvous" for a load of fresh seafood from the coast, as we were. I think she has a good idea, and the last few nights, we kicked the idea around. Never know, we have been known to do things at the spur of the moment.  Keep you posted on that one! 

During that time, Theresa suggested that a lot of people would probably be willing to wait at a "rendezvous" for a load of fresh seafood from the coast, as we were. I think she has a good idea, and the last few nights, we kicked the idea around. 

There is a fish truck on Fridays in Ithaca that is extremely popular and they sell out in a few hours.  Not sure on the details of the operation but they bring box truck full of great seafood!  It's been coming as long as I remember.  So if your area is lacking in options it sounds like a great idea.  But as you know a business is harder than family with a cooler!

Hey Jason $4.00 per pound is really incredible....out on the Cape the cheapest I've ever seen it even off season is $6.99 per pound. i do knowthat some locals there get theirs right at the Wellfleet pier from lobster men and fishermen and clammers and it is less expensive that way but I'm not sure how much cheaper.

Edited by Sk8man