st clair angler kills nice fish

ohiobones,

I found it and viewed it before you added it to your post. There are some idiots out there that you just cannot educate. Maybe he has brain damage from eating too many perch. Hopefully he will be procecuted and will learn that he will have to pay the consequences for his actions.

Just a warning about the video and comments on YouTube. There is some language that some might find offensive or inapproptiate.

Edited by muskiedreams

People just don't understand predator/prey relationships and the overall ecosystem of the lake.  This guy, like many, uneducated anglers thinks the muskies are eating all his bass, perch, walleye, whatever.  There are a ridiculous amount of muskies naturally occurring in LSC...it's really almost stupid.  However, LSC continues to be one of the best small mouth bass fisheries in the country and the walleye fishing in the Detroit River (this was filmed at the mouth of the Detroit River) is fantastic as well.  There are plenty of studies out there on muskies preferred forage and it isn't bass and walleyes.  I'm willing to bet most of the muskies in LSC are eating shad and perch, in that order.

Regardless of what this guy thinks, what he did is inexcusable.  Even if the fish was the required 44" to keep on LSC, it still doesn't give him the right to waste the fish.  I think the Canadians are pretty serious about protecting their fisheries and I bet this guy gets prosecuted.  I saw a post elsewhere from someone else that knows who he is and said he poaches hunting also.

I know SEVERAL guys that fish various walleye lakes otisco included, and they kill every legal pike, musky, and tiger they catch. Some guys do eat them, but thats not why they do it....they just hate big predators that they blame for all they PERCIEVE to be wrong with they lake. What do you think happens to the tigers that are killed for the ice fishing derbies on otisco?....dumpsters! Its a shame that side of human nature ends up being the "FACE" of outdoor sports aside from the obvious disgust and contempt we all share.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On a positive note my son and his buddy just came back from the BASS northern open on St Clair and accidental muskies encounters and catches were common so the fishery is excellent. Cody said the pros and coanglers did a good job removing hooks and leaving the fish in the water. Seems BASS is doing it better than local tourneys ive seen.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What a terrible thing to see I've only heard of people doing this. Even here on my local waters... same as yours Justin. However I will bet that nothing was done to him because of his stupid, illegal act. Back in June my neighbor shot one of the does on my property that I've had a relationship with for a year or two. I called DEC the minute it happened. Local pd shows up telling me must have been hit by a car. I tell them no way they laugh it off until I find the hole in her spine! Then they leave... nothing done. So I continue to call the DEC on Friday night and they can't bother to answer the phone. So i call the hotline they say county over is the only guy they can get and he won't drive over. OKAY. so now I have to cut up a deer in Junes heat ..fun. I save the entire section of spine where the 17 hmr bullet went in. Monday they finally have time to come take a look. ECO talks to the kid

Kid admits he did it at 13 years old. ECO comes back to the house and didn't issue one ticket. Shot toward my house. Within 30 feet of a road within 200 of 3

houses out of season with a rimfire on and on. Nothing was done!! Yeah thats why my licence fees keep going up!!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From what I have heard, the MNR in Ontario is more serious about enforcing the sportfishing and hunting regulations than the NYS DEC is. I guess the problem is with the burden of proof. They need indisputable proof to prosecute. If this incedent happened in NYS, I wonder if they would have to investigate and charge the perp because of the proof of the video.

Edited by muskiedreams

Thanks for posting this. Truly disgusting. That is one big A##hole. You have the boat number, isnt there a way for the COs to track him? Somebody must know who this is. Anybody doing that is just not a true sportsman or educated. It really pisses me off,  I have heard of guys doing that but to see it just sucks.To think I would drive 5 hrs to go there and this dumb ass does that...He deserves a nice fine and loss of a license.  

• 3 weeks later...

The bigotry towards esox family members is much along the same lines as that towards wolves. They have sharp teeth and "menacing" looks so many folks historically treated them with the worst attitude because they felt they were taking something "better" away from them. Killed and slaughtered, with even bounties awarded and possible official retribution by authorities if not "hated" upon. Sharks and other critters, even other humans, have suffered from such short sightedness and hatred through the years.