st clair angler kills nice fish

I see bass guys killing big smallmoulth all the time on Lake Erie. They pull em out of deep water, stick em in the live well, drive em around all day, take a picture after the weigh in at the boat ramp and then toss em back in the water and claim live release. Those fish have a slow death, at least this idiot that clubbed the musky made it quick.

These "live release" bass guys are the worst, no respect for the fish whatsoever. Makes me as sick as this musky clubbing idiot.

I hope this makes some of these bass clubs think about what their "club tournments" (bragin rights) are doing to the fish. At least you could clean them and give them to someone to eat.

Yellowfever,

My sentiments exactly when it comes to tournament fishing for Bass. What percentage of them actually live? I remember a few years back on Erie, they released a whole load of them after the weigh in and they all or most came up dead floating out in the lake. Somehow they should find a way to weigh them in the boat and release them immediately.

Yellowfever and BP, I agree with your statement that it happens but I dont think it is all tourny fisherman who mishandle the fish.  I am not a tourny fisherman and they annoy me a lot but I can't point a finger at them as a whole and say this happens consistently.  Some of them are excellent sportsman with appropriate equipment and knowledge to use it and some of them are wannabes head'n out with a scouts try.  I wouldn't put a tag on them good or bad.  With the money they pump into the economy do not expect anything to change.

Unfortunately this is all too common. Sometimes it is slob fishermen who keep everything they catch no matter what size it is or whether or not it is in season and sometimes it is ignorant Neanderthals such as our hero here. The problem with these mouth breathers is that they have no clue what the facts are and just as Cletus says in the video "Sh!t fish that eats all the good fish" he has no idea what he's talking about. The truth of the matter is that his favored species walleye actually eat an enormous amount of muskie fry in the shallows during spring, exponentially disproportionate to the amount of walleyes preyed upon by muskie.

This deliberate clubbing of muskies is actually quite a problem on Chautauqua. My ex father in law is a member of the Southtowns Wallyeye Association and as we all know they prefer to fish Lake Erie out of Dunkirk, Barcelona, etc but will readily opt for Chautauqua instead when the winds on Erie are kicking up. More than once over the years he told me of buddies of his in the SWA who keep billies in their boats and club every muskie they bring to the boat because they regard them as pesky lure stealers and as we all know "they eat all the walleyes". Morons. I was with him at their clubhouse once for a fish fry when he mentioned to a table of his pals "this is my son in law, he fishes for muskie"... Right in front of me they replied to him "kill 'em, kill 'em all"! as the whole table nodded in agreement. This is what we are up against in educating the public about esox. Many can be reached and enlightened with the facts but these ***holes are a very real problem.

Edited by Stinky Finger

Stinky Finger, I have heard these same stories but on different waters.  Sad for sure.  I would rather catch walleye, but I cannot see a justified reason to ever kill a musky and throw it back dead.  There is something very magestic about them.

Stinky Finger, I hope some of them read this discussion. Predation is a natural occurrence. I wouldn't be surprised if more walleyes are eaten by other walleyes or eagles or cormorants or bass. In that case, would they condone killing everything that kills walleye? Oh, they do kill walleye also, so does that make them hypocrites? They should accept the fact that there is natural predation and it can be beneficial by leaving the best survivors to strengthen the gene pool. They should be more concerned with preserving and enhancing their natural habitat, stocking programs and not overfishing them, especially in waters that support natural reproduction.

Edited by muskiedreams

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The guy was a tool bag but he wasn't Bill Gates either.  That punishment is fitting.  Not only that, I am sure when he returns people will recognize and harass him.

I have never been in front of a judge to know how they preside over the environmental cases like this.  There was a huge uproar over this incident so I wonder if that makes a difference.  I am saying what if there was no video?  Like the video of Ray Rice putting the smack down on his girl.  Stuff happens all the time with no video and the punishment is kinda week in comparison to those incidents caught on medium.  Just saying. 

St. Claire has an awesome musky fishery. Im glad somthing happened to him... If he was attested on an econ violation in the City of Rochester, he probably would have gotten an ACD or just dismissed outright.... I think Candian judical system takes these crimes a little more seriously....but i might be wrong.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

did i catch the article right hes on social assistance?  If i remember the video he was on a pretty decent boat wonder if payments for it came from social assistance.  If it wasn't his boat or if was paid off before the welfare started than i take back this statement.  it just seems that before you start taking aid you should really need it and a boat is a sacrificial luxury not a necessity.   

did i catch the article right hes on social assistance? If i remember the video he was on a pretty decent boat wonder if payments for it came from social assistance. If it wasn't his boat or if was paid off before the welfare started than i take back this statement. it just seems that before you start taking aid you should really need it and a boat is a sacrificial luxury not a necessity.

Agreed. I had the same thoughts. If I remember the video of him, he made some other comments that were disturbing also.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think the fine is appropriate. Considering his attitude towards the rules i doubt not having a license will deter him from fishing. Keep in mind he would have gone unpunished without the intervention of other anglers. I don't suggest confronting poachers but getting evidence for the dec could help stop some of the funny business. The dec doesn't have the manpower to catch many red handed. But they do investigate every well documented complaint. There may not be a conviction every time but i think a visit from the dec would make most people think twice about breaking the rules. It's our outdoors and we can all help keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think the fine was right. And it was more lenient than he was on the musky. I always wonder when I find out about anyone doing really dastardly things to others.....across any lines (human or otherwise). Especially when, as he says, he could have eaten it. His comments don't make a lot of sense when compared to his actions at "the scene". And I'm glad there was video evidence of it. Otherwise, as he so lamely tried to do in his apology, the whole affair would have passed unknown and unverifiable ("they are lying"....."it never happened"...whatever). What... the camera and audio and the scene they captured did not really exist? It's a setup? He could not get out of it. Hopefully he'll never try anything like that again.........And hopefully he is not too old to learn new lessons. With that "apology" I don't know.... :thinking:

I bet he does it again when no one is around. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. An ass will be an ass and I bet he is not alone in this thinking. Some Walleye guys are known to do this. Old school thinking. 

Even legally  REQUIRED to kill esocidae if caught in some states (trout centric). Like the wolves will kill all my sheep..... Or tigers will kill all my sons.     :shake:  Wherever I have known esocidae live, they always seem to live in good harmony with multiple other species. I know of no place where they have eaten up all the other "favored species" in their home waters. Instead of reviling them people should learn from them how to live in harmony with all in "their waters"..... :wondering:    :nod: