Ibay Perch

fbg14619

OK do u use snelled hook? 1 or 2 hooks? How heavy of a sinker do you use?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just enough to get you to the bottom.  Lots of us tie on two hooks on dropper loops but you can use one if you want.  I usually put a fathead on one hook and something else on the other, be it a wax worm, a bunch of spikes, a piece of crawler, a slider, a gulp, whatever.  You can skip this and just use a small jig which catches a ton of fish if you find an actively feeding school.

Look, we can't come on here and promise you results, but just like any other year, the perch DO come into the bay and if you're in the right place at the right time, you're gonna' crush them. They're coming in now.

"Dropshotting" is so ridiculously simple, I don't know what all the hype is about!  For God sakes, it's how you tie lines so your kids can fish off the dock!  Much ado about nothing.........

Grady

Edited by Grady95

The last few years they've been leaving one dock section in at the launch until well into December. We leave the boat in the water till X-mas sometimes and its still in then.

Went out last Saturday and it was slow on the Perch. Got a few, but the Whites and Sheeps kept us real busy!.

They aren't quite committed to the bay yet. We went to our usual spot on lake to find they has moved closed to the outlet and a bit deeper but still managed quite a few decent ones in the 12"-14" range

Yah I found them in the bay last week away from the crowd but they moved out and at least on the lake you don't have to weed through so many small ones. Electronics are key though in finding the big schools of them.

Where is there boat access once they take out the docks at the north end?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There really isn't any if you have a bigger boat. Small aluminum boats with a long rope can launch anytime. Back in and let boat float off then pull rope to bring boat up to ramp and climb in. We do this for duck hunting and fishing at every state ramp. He who is determined with find a way.

Summer is tough cause they get scattered but you said it right. If there is structure and the water temp is right they should be there. Hedges is a good spot in the summer along the pipeline which goes out to about 35ft and they seem to hold pretty good there all year.

I try and do what I can to help. Many have helped me in the past with my salmon/trout issues this past season so I just pay it forward when and where I can. I hope it helps and you get on them. I am going to head to finger lakes specifically Keuka and Seneca where the slobs live. I have 2 on the wall at the cottage that are 17" and 19". Gotta love them stripes.

Sea-IV........Whoa.... :o !! Am I the only one who caught this....? A 19 inch perch on the wall? Unless it was skinny, you may have had a world or at least state record yellow perch....From the IGFA through Wikipedia...."The world record yellow perch (18 in., 4 lb. 3 oz.) was caught in 1865 from New Jersey, and is the longest standing record for freshwater fish in North America.[1]" . Most other sites say 4lb. 4oz. ......but all say 18". Also, check out this story......

The true(?) story of Michigan's 21-inch state-record yellow ...                                                                                            You may have an unverifiable world record...... :thinking:

I had it weighed and measured at a verified scale. Unfortunately it was that time of the year just after the spawn and only weighed in at 3.3# but still my best to date. Those 2 finger lakes have the potential to hold the record though. When we get into them they usually all run about the same size and we don't keep them all, usually keep a meal or 2 and let the rest go so they can spawn and keep the population up.