Ibay Perch

fbg14619

We are all here to help each other enjoy and engage in fish and fishing and hunting and their related subjects. I'm sorry.. :dull: .. Don't mean to offend or annoy by stating a fact about fish. It might help in targeting.... BTW.... Seneca has always been one of my favorite jack perch lakes. There are many who are way better at getting numbers there by regular fishing (rod and reel) methods. One way that has worked for me is trolling with spoons in the places that Sea-IV has mentioned. Also jigging and drifting over marks about  30-40ft down with tubes, grubs, or almost any soft plastic. Those 11-15inchers seem (to me) to behave more like bigger gamefish. Indeed I've caught plenty while trying for smallies and lakers. I-bay does not seem to have as many big jacks (for me   :shake: ) as Seneca seems to. The perch there (I-bay) are caught by regular common perching methods that do work very nicely in Seneca during spawning season........for similar sized, smaller 6 to 9 inch fish (not always those jacks).....

Edited by panfisher

OK, so back to the IBay thread, ..............Has anyone been out lately? We were on the bay a week ago and couldn't find many. Kept about a dozen though after sorting through a ton of dinks and whities..

Yes....this is not about perch in I-bay......but SHEEPSHEAD! :) ......As president of Sheepshead Unlimited and current holder of the NY State Record sheepshead (...my, all that sounds prestigious!...), do U have a pic of your (hopefully) mounted record, on the wall, u'd share? And I was trolling the LOU archives and came upon this posted by Big Dave in 2011. Roughfish.com. Pretty cool new-to-me website. Are yellow perch "roughfish"?.......or just "panfish"? They are pretty rough when handling for the pan!    :P

On jack perch....They do seem to like gold or brass colored lures, especially spoons. I caught my first "jack" halfheartedly casting from shore a gold 1/4oz Sidewinder spoon. It usually sat in my box as I had bought it but did not have much faith in it. Wrong! That was the most beautiful fish I had ever caught. It was bright colored with a deep yellow belly, bright orange lower fins and dark bars. And it was huge...for a perch. Like the largemouths I often caught there. An impoundment (no trespassing....I was 11 and lots of folks fished there; had to keep an eye out for the troopers!) down on Long Island. Hempstead lake. Now it's open to fishing. On Seneca lake we've caught many jacks trolling with gold or silver Miller and Sutton spoons off downriggers. With gold out-fishing silver 2-3 to 1.

Edited by panfisher

Yes....this is not about perch in I-bay......but SHEEPSHEAD! :) ......As president of Sheepshead Unlimited and current holder of the NY State Record sheepshead (...my, all that sounds prestigious!...), do U have a pic of your (hopefully) mounted record, on the wall, u'd share?     :P

Check out the "fishing pictures" thread , under:"Back from the Taxidermist".

Edited by devoknevo

devoknovo........NNnniiiiiiiiccee!! And to think they get twice that size....! :o      You said mostly sheepies and white bass were keeping you hopping the last time out. Were those sheep being caught the same way they were a few months ago, and do they still have some size to them? BTW...Irondequoit bay is where I last ran into white bass. Mostly smallish. maybe 7 to 9in. But they fought like smallies accept no jumping. And check out that roughfish.com. I don't know. I like the variety of fish......

devoknovo........NNnniiiiiiiiccee!! And to think they get twice that size....! :o     

Thanks Panfisher, I don't know if they get twice that size in NY, but they are fun to catch!

(P.S. Pan, ck your messages)

I didn't think they would be in the lake due to lack of structure, can you catch them in the lake all summer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In the summer and early fall if it is a warm long summer, I've picked them up and seen good schools in the shallows in the entrances to bays and creeks. As Sea-IV says, they do also scatter all around in the main lake as we often can pick one up while trolling for salmonids....often not much bigger than the lures! Have seen these moving small schools, 10-20 or so perch, swimming in the shallow weeds when launching out of places like Bear crk, Pultenyville and near where Blind Sodus and other bays and creeks enter out to the main lake. The actual fishing for them is often just a lark to kill some time while waiting for others to move from the launch ramp. Once, in front of Bear Creek we actually spent about an hour targeting these perch with small grub tailed jigs. Picked up a good stringer of about 20 nice perch....no dinks, no jacks, all about the same size. This was site fishing, following the schools...at times they seemed to be following us. Then we went out to get smallies. This was 5 years ago. Also catch them similarly in the channel coming into the Genny, Irondequoit and Sodus.....

• 5 weeks later...

Heard a "friend" of mine got into them this morning at the spot I turned him onto with our neighbors boat without calling me to go but that's ok, I wouldn't, mention his name but his initials are WARREN and he lurks but never posts but have a happy thanks .".....

Heard a "friend" of mine got into them this morning at the spot I turned him onto with our neighbors boat without calling me to go but that's ok, I wouldn't, mention his name but his initials are WARREN and he lurks but never posts but have a happy thanks .".....

Don't you love it when you mention to someone about one of your hot spots and the next day or after, they are out there with one of their buddies but never invite you. It's all a big secret. That happened to me.  I laughed because they got skunked and were all frustrated.  Now I show them the pictures.  When they ask where I caught them, I say," in the mouth or in the lake".