Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

Well yesterday morning I sat on my buddys set and saw 10 deer 1 of which was a nicer buck (I am thinking it was this guy) but couldnt really tell with the thick fog and still being kind of dark.
So after sitting there for 4 hours and having all 10 deer walk 70+yards away I was pretty disappointed. I have hunted this property for 7 years only during early season before oct 1. The owners shoot almost everything big or small so I have never seen a deer over 80 inches and bigger than a 14inch spread.

Over those past 7 years I have always wanted to hang a stand in this set of willows. I hung one that morning at 11am tucked back into this one willow at the end of a hedgerow. This stand is hardly worthy of the name stand being only 6 feet off the ground but anywayi sat there from 3pm and only saw 2 bucks. After seeing next to nothing and thinking my stand location was lousy started packing up. I was sitting on 5 gallon pail while waiting so as you can imagine when packing up and my buckles bouncing against the side was making a little racket. As I was packing up I heard something coming thru the tall golden rod. I turned to look and here come 3 bucks right to my stand. I slowly grabbed my bow and was just about to pull and one spotted me but took no interest. So just as I was about to shoot the first one walking into my shooting lane I noticed the other one was bigger rack and body wise and decided to take the bigger one instead. Well unfortunately the only shot I had was straight on so I took it and put my broad-head right into his neck and into its spine. No tracking needed. As he was lying there I started to size him up and realized he was a lot bigger than I first thought.

Scored 115-7/8" with inside spread of 17 and 19-1/2 outside spread.

Sent from my thinking car!

Edited by Chas0218

Congrats on deer nice one for up here!!

Did you make it up this year?  Watch out for the DEC guy I guess he is giving everyone a hard time about their stands.

Edited by Chas0218

Well guys it looks like I need to shoot a big deer this year.  I was told by the wife that if I want to hang another deer on the wall it has to be bigger than my 160" 10 point.  I am thinking in NY that will be next to impossible.  Good luck everyone, hopefully this season will be record breaking!

5 days into the season and not a whole lot to report. Most of the deer seen have been in the evening sits. The majority bucks i have seen (all 1.5 years olds) have been in pairs.

To my surprise however I witnessed a doe chased from known bedding cover and into the open hardwoods. She was harrased by a young 3pt and after a couple of minutes he quickly turned his attention to other things. Earliest in the season I have seen chasing before. The set also has an active scrape line on one of the main trails that leads to the acorn avalanche(4 scrapes within 30 yards of each other and all within arrowing distance). Great sign to see this early in the year.

Rob, I have seen this early rutting activity around dropping acorns in the big woods.  Scrapes in September are tells of these areas.  You should see every buck in the woods pass your stand as more and more bucks lay down their scent it will become the hub of rutting activity.  You have a money spot.

Same thing last night...a small doe wandered by, then within a couple minutes a forkhorn came screaming through not paying attention to anything at all. I'd hoped that maybe a mature had come into estrus a month early, but I didn't see another deer all evening and this makes me think it was just a young one looking to sow his first oats.

Same happened to me last night, 2 Mature doe came thru and a couple small bucks were right on them. Still haven't got any photos of anything worth shooting.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

Rob, I have seen this early rutting activity around dropping acorns in the big woods. Scrapes in September are tells of these areas. You should see every buck in the woods pass your stand as more and more bucks lay down their scent it will become the hub of rutting activity. You have a money spot.

That's exactly where I got a good buck early last year. I'll be hitiing it after work sometime soon. It hasn't been touched in 10 months now.:)

No a lot of activity this morning but I did see lots of scrapes in the woods this morning. 4 near my stand and another 4 on the walk out.

Some video from this morning... Small 8pt working 2 scrapes next to my stand. As he leaves he winds me and kinda stands around for awhile until finally heading off.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=859421750742353&set=vb.100000236089564&type=2&theater

Sat a stand for first time this year 2 days ago, lone doe under me licking my tree steps as I watched, she cut my trail, followed to tree and hung out for 15 minutes looking for me. Previous seasons of camera use tell me to wait till the 20th of October and sit it hard till November, after that it starts to slide off from pictures every day to random days thru next two weeks of november. Weak acorn crop has them stacked in cornfields surrounding the property. I got some nice bucks in late July on camera but now just a couple yearlings hanging around pushing does. I hunt travel corridors from one bedding area to another.

Edited by Roughrider IV

My 17 year old took this eight last Saturday. He watched him rub a tree and tend a scrape. Lot of fresh rubs on our properties. Second pic is the 4&1/2 year old doe he took opening morning before school. DEC aged it as an 8c doe earns a bonus tag post-150305-14128998626694_thumb.jpgpost-150305-14128998840402_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United