Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

I've struggled to put this into words but... last Monday I arrowed a big 8 pt and never found him. Typical 8, 120s". I have to believe he is one of the bucks that I actually have on film.

I could not ask for a better setup. He's approached from left to right and slightly quartered away as he made his way past me. I was able to draw as he stepped behind a tree. Once he stepped out, a quiet mouth grunt stopped him in his tracks at 17 yards and I nailed him. He took off and I heard nothing other then him crashing through the thicket. And then silence. It was right at dusk when I shot him and it started to rain. The longer I sat there the harder it began to rain so I jumped down and began to search for my arrow. No luck at all. As the rain was increased I got to witness all of the evidence disappear. I left the woods and made a decision 3 hours later to wait until morning to search. I figured a blind search in the morning would lead to a dead buck in the thicket. No such luck. No arrow. No blood. No sign. 3 1/2 hours. No dead buck.

Not a good feeling losing a deer.

Absolutely brutal...

Needless to say that put me on the bench for a couple of days but I'm happily back in the game again now.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I feel your pain. I lost one at the water's edge last year and it sucks.

Bunch of deer munching acorns on their way to beans last night. No big boys.

Edited by Gator

Squirrel!! Love hunting those buggers out the second story window. Don't poke them with a field tip though. They'll crawl up to the top of a tree, arrow and all, and advertise to the world what you're doing. Not that I'd know  :thinking:

Every four point within fifty miles has lined up and taken a number to walk under my stand. Another one last night in Ogden. I'm taking pics of them and I'd post, but they're crap. I'm not sure why the iPhone is giving me such poor results; it's zoomed in, and the deer are within twenty yards. Could be the low light conditions?

80F today sucks.

Soy beans seem to be the hottest crop right now. Brown, dried up, ready to harvest soy beans.If you got em, hunt em. 

I sat soybeans on Saturday had 5 doe and 1 button buck, they came out late almost dark.  Looking forward to seeing some big boys.  I am willing to bet the early does will be hot this coming weekend.  I bet they will start chasing hard 25th/26th weekend.