Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

I also chose to hang a new stand today. 20 feet up I went to slam the bow hanger into the tree hammer style to get the first three or four threads into the tree and in theory rotate it flush to the trunk. Well I missed the tree and sunk the point deep into the knuckle between the base of my thumb and the pad of my hand. So now I'm up a tree, bleeding better than some of the deer I've shot and still have to finish the job and then climb down. Dumb things happen quickly. Be careful out there, the thumb seems to still function as intended. Hope to be back out Thursday, hope it doesn't screw up my shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sat in the woods yesterday after work from 4:30 until dark.  It was very windy and quite warm, so i wasn't expecting to see much.  Right at dark i was beginning to pack up and had a ~200 lb bear walking towards my stand.  He got about 15 yards away quartered towards me before he realized something wasn't quite right and turned and walked back the same way he came.  Had my GoPro on and was tempted to take a shot, but there is a much bigger bear in the area and i'm hoping to get a pass at him this season!

On a side note, when i got home my wife happened to find a tick already attached to our 9 month old's neck (right behind his ear).  Well not knowing how long the tick had been there for we took him to the hospital to make sure it got removed correctly.  The doctor that removed it was not too concerned as she said the area hadn't become inflamed yet and it was likely it had only been there for a few hours.  Just a reminder to all of us hunters that spend a lot of time walking through the woods and open fields (and field dressing animals) to make sure to give yourselves a quick look over to make sure you don't have one on you when you get home.

Actually the doctor at the hospital never put him on anything, and never told us to get another check up. We called his pediatrician this morning and she suggested an antibiotic cream to put on the bite.  I think because he is so young still, they can't use the same oral antibiotics that they would normally use if an adult had been bitten by a tick.

The Z7 is locked and loaded. Carbon Express "Pile Driver" Hunter 250 with Nockturnal lighted nock and 100 grain Slick Trick magnums.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-14134072496376_thumb.jpg

post-139598-14134072554088_thumb.jpg

Phil is the best. When each of my boys turned ten I took them to Tioga to hunt boar. In both hunts Phil sat in the stand with them while I videoed. He was unbelievable like that and I truly thank him for his part in making my kids outdoorsmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

hope she put your son on an antibiotic just to be safe!

As a family physician, I will give you the following advice: There is evidence that a preventative single dose of antibiotic (Doxycycline 200mg as one dose) can be given in a tick bite situation, but only under the following circumstances:

1.) Person is >8 yrs. of age

2.) Tick bite occurs in an endemic area (>20% Lyme disease rate)

3.) Tick was on the body for >36 hours

4.) Antibiotic can be started within 72 hours of the bite.

Since this little guy was only 9 months of age, the ER and the Pediatrician did the correct thing

Otherwise, you would just observe for any signs of Lyme disease (bulls eye rash, fevers, joint pain, etc) and treat accordingly

Chris

Thanks for the advice Momay!  It's great to get a second opinion on something that can be as serious as the possibility of Lyme Disease.  It's good to know that we are taking the right steps in the process.  I appreciate the reply!

My bow was setup by Phil Race of Indian Mountain Archery. He was a huge fan of helical 4 vain fletching. It was designed to get the arrow spinning which helps accuracy and consistent arrow flight. Same theory as a rifled gun barrel.

To bad phil left all of us in the dark. To my knowledge he doesn't do bow work anymore, cant get ahold of em. Once again its not how you start it how you finish.   :doh:  He was definatly top notch. Who does every one on the westside of roc  use now?

Good morning LOU all the way from the North Carolina gun opener! Sitting overlooking an amazing 8 acre clover plot with acorn dropping oak trees inside of it and along the perimeter also and a timed corn feeder on both ends. :)

post-139598-14136307157803_thumb.jpg