Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

My ole man also shot a descent 8! One G3 short and one broke off and one brow broken as well. He saw this buck during bow in same stand but didnt get a shot and he came back same way this morning chasing 3 does!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-144765-14160824439162_thumb.jpg

Edited by machzrcr

This guy is now out here with 3 other people yelling and cutting firewood. He owns about 60 acres "just happens" to be all the good firewood is within the 1000 yards of creek that splits his property and those I have permission to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Today consisted of throwing a trespasser out of a stand 75 yds from me at 8:30 am,driving to next property to find out more people in woods around my set to then driving to 3rd property and seeing 1 doe...Did I mention I really hate gun season?

The yahoo's will quit soon enough and I can actually start hunting deer again instead of orange jerks

Edited by dvdegeorge

Small 8pt 2 doe and piebald button buck... Oh yea and a hunter sitting on a bucket 75 yds behind me

Touchy situation as he's a friend of neighbor where I park and yard I cut thru to get to my stand

Told him he wasn't on property he was supposed to be on that he cut trees and saplings on someone else's property and that it wasn't very cool setting a stand 75 yds from me

Did I mention I hate gun season

Well it aint the hunting of old ,im shure rifles in the so zone have improved the shot to kill ratio,,only heard 1- 5 round volley...even 5 years ago opening day i would of heard 50 to 100 shots opening day..either the deer or hunters are gone. the spot i hunt i would normally see 10 to 20 deer a day,yes i saw 13 yesterday but i hunted 2 spots 500 yds apart..the area my brother hunts has lost 70% oh the deer herd he had 6 cameras out all summer and fall with 2 beautiful food plots...maybe that cold winter last year did more damage than expected ..with bow hunting/muzzle loader and reg gun season and 2 permits =5 deer per person,toss in a few thousand coyotes and some bobcats,,and a few thousand road kills ,maybe its time the DEC looks at their numbers..I know 1 farmer had 60 nusence tags last year,and the land ajoining the area i hunt was issued 30...but hey just because i have more years in the woods than the folks who write the rules are old, what do i know..?

I definitely think last winter is the culprit here. The number of shots I herd tonight was 2! That I absolutely unheard of. The number of hunter vehicles that I've seen the last 2 days is as expected ( normal to every year). The only problem I have is the camera's say the deer are there. And for example this morning I saw 9 deer, 7 on stand and a good 8pt with a doe where I park. This evening I saw 18 deer on the same stand. All small bucks and doe's and a few in the twilight that I couldn't quite tell. 200 yrds from where I was, was my buddy who didn't even see a deer. I'm Hoping that it's not the number of deer that is the problem, it's location of where you are and pressure Instead! Even more so I'm really hoping it's hunters in my area who are waiting for the opportunity at a mature deer and letting others pass. There's way to many hunters where I am not to hear shots!

It did seem like an unusual opening weekend. Not a lot of shots (maybe 15 within an earshot yesterday) and I haven't seen the Facebook posts I usually do of people with deer big or small. I did see a normal amount of deer from my stand as well though.

15 degrees opening morning in 9P and zero chasing was going on.  As you had seen yourself, feast or famine for our group with large herds of 9 does over here and zero seen over there.  DEC at the check stations said based on the does they were checking that the rut has not peaked yet.  Lets hope that is the case.

Sat all day on Saturday saw 15 all does in Branchport. 5 shots close and not many outside the block. Which is 3 by 3 milea. A lot of corn is still standing. Today 2 does in three hours shot one, had.to get back home. Most movement opening.day was when guys left for lunch, that's why I sit tight the whole day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One last thing the DEC has antiquated was of reporting kills and using those numbers to come up with a season kill. Come on step it up sure they could have an app or a website.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

but they do ... decals online reporting

I just reported a doe from last week, and in general it worked, but talk about a counter-intuitive interface! Once I'd entered all of my information, it was then on the next page "hidden" in a sub-menu. I had to click continue to confirm that it was correct, but I couldn't see the information I'd just entered until I'd expanded all of the relevant sub-menus...of which there were three...so how was I to know whether it was correct or not? Okay, wasted time.

Then I end up on a third page that's identical to where you'd buy a license and it asks me if I want to continue with my purchase. WTH? But I go ahead and click, "continue" and everything's fine, I reported my kill. Okay, confusing directions.

So yeah, it works, but my kid's eighth grade teach has put together a better system to communicate homework, upcoming tests, and grades.

There are some adjustments needed, and it's not rocket science, just common sense. If you want someone to confirm some information they just entered, freakin' show it to them! Don't use words like purchase when there's no cost involved!

Between this and the SNAFU with the DMPs on Nov. 1st, I'd say the new system leaves much to be desired.

And I agree with the above comments regarding deer movement. Very little and what did occur was mid-day, for me at least. I passed on a seven and a couple of doe. Another buddy didn't see a deer all day. Very quiet overall.

Opening day i heard well over a hundred shots, with the first one being at 6:19 a.m.  That person must have been using a shotgun with open sights and the deer must have been standing right under his stand to be able to see it at that time.

Out of our group, 3 bucks were harvested opening day.  Two 8 points, and a 10 point.

post-143216-0-16874000-1416228917_thumb.jpg

post-143216-0-77515800-1416228936_thumb.jpg

post-143216-0-41440200-1416228958_thumb.jpg    post-143216-0-94449700-1416228985_thumb.jpg