Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

Wow! Blew another opportunity tonight at sunset. Decent 8pt but I don't think he was over 125". Clean miss.

I checked my phone to see what time it was and by the time I looked back up the buck had almost made it through my first shot window. I did a couple of mouth grunts but he didn't stop. The little buck behind him did though . After the little buck lost interest I got up and beat feet to get another shot opportunity. I snuck out to the field and peeked around the corner and there stood a fawn. I got down on one knee and got in good shooting form. Out pops a big doe with the buck pushing her. Of course the buck instantly notices me clear as day in a snow covered field. I was forced to take a shot while he was quartering towards me. Problem being I had to also shoot through the brush to get the shot. Who knows... brush might of got me. At this point, I can only laugh at my luck this season.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, Legacy, if you can admit to a screwup, I guess I can fess up too.  But first I want to thank you, and everyone who contributed to this thread this season.  After a cold fruitless, frustrating morning or evening hunt, I enjoyed coming home and reading about everybody`s experiences, good or not.  Sure can relate to a lot of them and it`s nice to know other guys feel the same pain I feel much of the time.   

Ok, a week or so ago I shot a doe.  Reloaded the muzzleloader, then when I got home I reloaded it again.  Yes, put a second charge on top of first!  So, had to break down rifle (a Savage in line that shoots smokeless powder).  So, while breaking it down, naturally cleaned it, put anti seize on nipple, etc.  (Didn`t have rifle antiseize, so used some anti rust seize that I use on brake componets)  No harm, right?  Put rifle back together, popped a few caps, and reloaded.  Well, went to shot a doe the other nite, you guessed it, POP, and the doe waved goodbye.  After screwing up that nite, I came home, next day shot several shots with no problems.  Soo, reloaded and been hunting ever since till last nite, when nice buck (at sunset, but my watch usually runs slow) stepped out.  You guessed it, POP.  So today tore rifle down, cleaned and lubed it properly and put back together.  Tomorrow AM will fire several rounds and load just before I go out.  I surmise that overtime, a little antiseize contaminated the powder.  So, if the big guy in the sky gives me just one more chance, I promise not to screw it up.

When u say your firing it multiple times then loading you are meaning poping off primers, not actually shooting it I hope! If so I don't think that it is as important with modern In lines. As long as u clean the breach plug with something small enough to make sure the hole is clear and before u load it just hold the gun so u can see light thru the hole there should be no need to pop a primer. Unless u feel there may be moisture in the barrel for some reason. But I pretty much exclusively hunt with my muzzleloader and have only fired off just a primer when at the range now and then. My gun has only not gone off for me once after hunting in a monsoon! And for the threads on the breach plug I use bore butter also use the bore butter for cleaning the barrel after a water scrub!

Hopefully u and rob have better luck in the next couple days! Keep at them!!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Legacy

Well, Legacy, if you can admit to a screwup, I guess I can fess up too. But first I want to thank you, and everyone who contributed to this thread this season. After a cold fruitless, frustrating morning or evening hunt, I enjoyed coming home and reading about everybody`s experiences, good or not. Sure can relate to a lot of them and it`s nice to know other guys feel the same pain I feel much of the time.

Ok, a week or so ago I shot a doe. Reloaded the muzzleloader, then when I got home I reloaded it again. Yes, put a second charge on top of first! So, had to break down rifle (a Savage in line that shoots smokeless powder). So, while breaking it down, naturally cleaned it, put anti seize on nipple, etc. (Didn`t have rifle antiseize, so used some anti rust seize that I use on brake componets) No harm, right? Put rifle back together, popped a few caps, and reloaded. Well, went to shot a doe the other nite, you guessed it, POP, and the doe waved goodbye. After screwing up that nite, I came home, next day shot several shots with no problems. Soo, reloaded and been hunting ever since till last nite, when nice buck (at sunset, but my watch usually runs slow) stepped out. You guessed it, POP. So today tore rifle down, cleaned and lubed it properly and put back together. Tomorrow AM will fire several rounds and load just before I go out. I surmise that overtime, a little antiseize contaminated the powder. So, if the big guy in the sky gives me just one more chance, I promise not to screw it up.[/qquote

When u say your firing it multiple times then loading you are meaning poping off primers, not actually shooting it I hope! If so I don't think that it is as important with modern In lines. As long as u clean the breach plug with something small enough to make sure the hole is clear and before u load it just hold the gun so u can see light thru the hole there should be no need to pop a primer. Unless u feel there may be moisture in the barrel for some reason. But I pretty much exclusively hunt with my muzzleloader and have only fired off just a primer when at the range now and then. My gun has only not gone off for me once after hunting in a monsoon! And for the threads on the breach plug I use bore butter also use the bore butter for cleaning the barrel after a water scrub!

Hopefully u and rob have better luck in the next couple days! Keep at them!!

With the exception of opening day, when I use my Dad`s old 16 model 37, I use the muzzleloader exclusively also.  I normally just pop caps off, but am so paranoid about this not firing, that until season is over I will fire several shots before hunting.  Only 3 days left, can`t afford to screw up anymore.

Hop what muzzleloader are you using?

I shoot a Savage 10ml-II.  I use 43 grains of IMR 4227 pushing a 245 gr. powerbelt.  It is a real tackdriver.  I would be interested if anybody shoots the same rifle but uses a different load.

You guys having misfires, I wonder if you take your firearms inside after being out in the field. Condensation will be a really bad thing going into a warm house and back in the cold over and over. Just curious if you do that. I leave mine in the cold all the time when loaded for a week. Never had the misfortune of a misfire. Bore butter as mentioned will be your best lube. Use enough to coat the threads and not really see it there.

Mark

Edited by skipper19

Yes ur gun misfireing should not be happening those guns are really nice I looked all over trying to find one before I bought Myn! I shoot an all stainless Omega. I may have to do some research and see if I can find anyone else having issues with ur model.

Yes ur gun misfireing should not be happening those guns are really nice I looked all over trying to find one before I bought Myn! I shoot an all stainless Omega. I may have to do some research and see if I can find anyone else having issues with ur model.

Yes, I know it shouldn`t be happening.  That was kind of the purpose of my post to Legacy-he screwed up on a buck by looking at his phone, I screwed up by not using proper sealant on breach plug and nipple.  I bought that gun some time ago the second year they came out and have loved it ever since.  As much as I hate to admit it, it`s me, not the gun. :)

Yea def a good topic! Especially for any new muzzleload hunters who may be lurking! Rob did u get out today? A lot of people saw deer and shot deer this morning I saw 4 does no horns! Should b a good afternoon!

Edited by machzrcr

Rob did u get out today? A lot of people saw deer and shot deer this morning I saw 4 does no horns! Should b a good afternoon!

Yup. Nothing but turkeys this morning.

this has been a style i have used on many big bucks  ..sometimes they are alone.and have seen up to 5 bucks together  so ya not only have a nose too fool but maybe several sets of eyes.... will almost always face downwind trusting their nose to cover their 6.they will wind you 150 yds away and see you even further ...as that article says the three "s"'s are critical as you have to find a single rack ,or tine,or justa sliver of brown .. Ihave taken up to 1/2 hr just to move 10 to 20 yds to get into a shooting position ...in the past if i spooked one i would stay away for 4 to 7 days for them to calm down again thats 3 times in 2 to 3 weeks span...maybe i will try for the big one i saw a couple days ago tmorrow...underwater hunting season is getting close and the wife has a big honey doo list before we leave ....almost time for underwater "bow hunting" (spearfishing)...........

https://i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/JcsEVNpz-oM/mqdefault.webp

Have the ML2....I shoot same powder and grains with TC super glides. Devestating.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

TC Super Glide-will have to look for them.  Would like to find something heavier than my current 245 gr. that is just as accurate.  A bit more "slamin power" in case of a less than perfect placement.  Headed out now-two more sits for this season for me!

It's probably my last sit of the year. It's been a tough year for me in central ny. I shot one opening day and only have seen one small doe since. I'm almost looking forward to putting the loader away and breaking out the steelhead rods. Toughest year in quite a while for me. Reading about the success on this thread is what got me out of bed several mournings. Good luck to those still trying to put one more in the freezer

post-139586-0-48247000-1418675727_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Gamblers "road scouting", i'm settled into my afternoon spot. Already had a small racked visitor check out the field edge.

post-139598-14186759699137_thumb.jpg