Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

Last sit of the year tonight. I hunted my bow with a buddy who just started this year and has yet to tag his first deer. Around 4:20, I saw a couple of bodies moving through the thick stuff from a bedding area toward my friend, one with what looked to be a small rack. I waited a couple minutes for the call, then...the dreaded snort...busted! Zero wind and the deer held up at 40 yards. That'll keep him interested until next year! It's been a good season.

well it was a sad end to a good season when I found a picture online of a buck that my dad, my girlfriend and I had been after for the past 2 years. 100 trail cam pictures and 3 encounters during archery season and he's gone. I'll post a pic once i can blur out the fellow hunters identity.

Settled in for the last sit of the 2014 season. Drizzle and fog. Seems like the perfect conditions to end my season.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-14187617752459_thumb.jpg

A season ends and a season begins. Will be running hounds for coyotes and foxes this weekend. Will drift fish the Niagara within two weeks. Best time of year as far as I'm concerned. The fat lady has sung.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A season ends and a season begins. Will be running hounds for coyotes and foxes this weekend. Will drift fish the Niagara within two weeks. Best time of year as far as I'm concerned. The fat lady has sung.

You are not kidding! It was a grind! Dogs for Yotes sounds awsome Good Luck!

Well here is the buck. Congrats to the hunter.

post-147493-0-05708200-1418778354_thumb.png post-147493-0-54316400-1418778518_thumb.jpg

well it was a sad end to a good season when I found a picture online of a buck that my dad, my girlfriend and I had been after for the past 2 years. 100 trail cam pictures and 3 encounters during archery season and he's gone. I'll post a pic once i can blur out the fellow hunters identity.

No, I was invited to go one time and it didn't work out. Heard you don't go for the kill though, you go for the exercise! Not as easy as tv will make it look like everything else

True but most days you will at least get a good taste as to what it's all about. The radio traffic combined with the howl of the dogs is pretty awesome. My job change this year is going to cut my available days by 50% but I will try to get you out if you want to try it.

well today i decided to sit longer than normal..i was very warm but hung in there  then just when i finshed peeing.. i heard it coming ...first just a gentle ffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttt then another ,and another....it was at 0830 when i dropped the BIG ONE............a beautiful 14 ...............inch turd... will post pics .............Have a Great Christmas ,

Hope this helps

Ray K.

I shoot a Savage 10ml-II.  I use 43 grains of IMR 4227 pushing a 245 gr. powerbelt.  It is a real tackdriver.  I would be interested if anybody shoots the same rifle but uses a different load.

I use Hornady xtp 250 grain with 59 grains of Vihtavuori N120. Here is a good website for good loads.http://randywakeman.com/Favorite_Savage_10ML-II_Loads.htm    This is from the website.Sorry it is hard to read because of the color.Anyhow it says not to use Powerbelts.

III. DO NOT USE POWERBELTS WITH SMOKELESS POWDER

Use of "Powerbelts" and other bore-sized conicals with smokeless powder is clearly prohibited by the Savage 10ML-II Owner's manual. They are undersized, and can cause misfires. The green gas check at the base has a hole in it, and is insufficient for smokeless powder. By virtue of being bore-sized, they fly poorly compared to the Savage recommended .45 caliber projectiles. Not jacketed, they are copper plated ("copper clad") or just pure lead. They have been tested, and in addition to all the other problems, filling your barrel full of lead has been the result-- a horrible mess to try to clean up. However, heavier Powerbelts and other heavy conicals do shoot quite well out of the Savage when used with Pyrodex or Triple Se7en-- but please do not cause yourself problems by using them with smokeless powder. Their use is prohibited with smokeless powder by Savage Arms: smokeless is for 250 - 300 grain "saboted projectiles only."

Pulled cameras today off a small piece that I hunt. Its only 15 acres or so I spent some time speed scouting. Here's some things I found.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-14189422207309_thumb.jpg

post-139598-14189422332988_thumb.jpg

post-139598-14189422492145_thumb.jpg

post-139598-14189422637318_thumb.jpg

saturday  (last sat of season) i found a fresh rub line..this was about a week after 300 acrs of corn was cut across the river...either the local big boy got shot and someone new took over or a displaced deer from the corn property took up residence....guess he didnt get the memo the rut was over......the latest fresh ground scrape i ever found over the years was in late feb.....

In the fla keys (BIG PINE) the key deer are in full rut in jan.feb.  maybe i have a pic with the date..my  bad it was Jan 14th when i saw this guy from my boat marking his spot...

post-139681-0-98294700-1418948423_thumb.jpg

Some quick thoughts on the season...

The end is here and another long NYS deer season is in the bag. Some are reaping the spoils of victory while others are enjoying tag soup. Crazy to think that the season started over two months ago and it is gone just like that! All of my free time has been dedicated to this addiction and I have certainly put enough time in to make any hunter envious. I haven’t just read or heard about it but I have truly witnessed the seasonal progression in the deer woods. I have had a chance to witness the early season, all of the phases of the rut, and finally the late season with my own two eyes. A great thing to experience for any hunter.

This year my 12 year old son entered the woods for the first time as a “hunter†and for me to experience my sons first year in the woods was pretty incredible. To watch his interaction with game was just simply awesome. Bucks, does, fawns, turkeys, coyotes, even the squirrels were a great source of entertainment for him. He mentioned to me that “people who don’t hunt, just don’t understand what they are missingâ€. Things happen quickly in the woods and having his opportunities ruined by the simplest things made him realize how much harder it is to hunt then it seems. But, as we know, with every encounter we learn a little bit more. I know his chances will come but of course, being that I am his biggest fan, every time out I had hoped he would stick an arrow in something! My hope is with the things he experienced this year only drive him to work harder at being a better hunter and have a growing respect of Mother Nature.

This season certainly proved to be the emotional roller coaster that I had expected and maybe even more so. The blown opportunities on good bucks will always be remembered. I am sure they will be relived in my head, many times, until next season and probably beyond. As we know, it takes a lot of work, preparation, and time to create good opportunities at big bucks. Bucks don’t normally give us more than one chance either and when you fail to take advantage of these chances it can be absolutely devastating. Nothing like getting occasional reminders that this is not just a physical pursuit but a mental one as well.

The unknown human elements still and will continue to baffle me during deer season. I always know it is out there but every single time, they seem to catch me by surprise. And as frustrating as it is, it will always be there.  Whether its trespassers, neighbors, or other hunters, its influence is something that cannot be overlooked. And I don’t even want to start on the so called hunters who are nothing but criminals. I cannot begin to understand the guy who steals tree stands, steals cameras, trespasses, or poaches. Hopefully Karma will visit them (over and over again).

I have yet to hear “how great the season†was from anyone. I am curious to hear the opinions from every one of the overall season that it is past. It seems as if deer numbers and sightings were low for me and cameras share the same story. Ill admit, I saw my fair share of deer and I had plenty of chances but I attribute this more to the time I spent in the woods rather than the health of the deer population.

With some really great experiences and meat in the freezer, I consider the season an overall “successâ€. For me deer season is a year round commitment so as the “season†ends, the “off season†begins. Once again the “off season†will be filled with bow leagues, scouting, hanging new sets, and playing with cameras. The new ideas for next season are still fresh in my mind and will certainly be explored in the next couple of months while the sign is still fresh. Always looking forward. Always looking for a better way to do things.

My original thoughts on starting this thread were to give us hunters an idea on the happenings in the woods. It was nice to see others get involved and contribute to the thread also. I thanks you guys for that! I think that we are in store for something bigger next year too.

My season in numbers

Bow Season

October 1 –November 14 (45 day season)

55 hunts (29 am and 26 pm)

181 total deer sightings (60 antlered bucks including 10 shooters)

Best days- rut October 31- November 14

Opportunities= shot good 8pt and lost, missed tom, shot jake, shot doe, missed big 10pt (not just once but twice)

Regular Season

November 15- December 7 (23 day season)

21 hunts (9 am and 12 pm)

48 total deer sightings (5 antlered bucks including 1 shooter)

Best days- November 15-17

Opportunities= missed doe, shot small 8pt

Muzzleloader Season

December 8- 16 (9 day season)

7 hunts (1 am and 6 pm)

24 total deer sightings (4 antlered bucks including 2 shooters)

Best days- December 11- 16

Opportunities= missed good 8pt

Deer numbers were non existent on our farm here in Chemung County. We have seen it coming the last few years ever since 2001 things have been going down hill. Its like a pond or a lake that gets fished out they just don't sprout up out of the ground. The unlimited doe tags, several fawns killed by hay binds , coyotes, and crop damage permits have destroyed deer numbers in many areas. Then the state manages or I should say attempts to manage the deer over broad areas. You may have to many deer around a small town or city in the county then the rest of the county is void of deer. I've been hunting for years and have never been given a survey regarding amount of deer seen or the ratio of buck vs doe. Our crew quit hunting early this year no point sitting in the woods for nothing. And no way could any of us shoot one of the only four does and two fawns we had on the farm. Although I watched one of the button bucks cross the line and get dumped by a tool on a neighbors property. So four does and one fawn now and that's next years future deer crop. So if you have an area with deer left count your blessings and take care of it. Sean

Edited by Hookedup