Trolling with spoons?

When trolling with spoons what speeds should u be running watched a guy catch 2 today creeping while trolling spoons and what are yet guys favorite spoons they seem to be cheeper than any other musky bait out there I'd like to get some in the arsenal just wondering what you guys like

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Brent - I think trolling with spoons would pretty much limit your speed over ground (SOG) to 3.0 mph or less before they would just spin up on you.  I'm sure there are some spoons out there that can handle faster speeds but 3.0 SOG seems to be my limit.  More importantly with spoons you need to pay attention to your downspeed as that will certainly be different from your SOG depending on a wide variety of factors.  I haven't really tried trolling spoons much for muskies so most of my thoughts are based on my trout/salmon fishing.

I agree with Ivan.... Large spoons behind believer or grandma..... Productive setup. Lol, have not heard it called 'Bk' rig before. That is funny. We have always called it a tandem set up. Caught quite a few fish on this set. There is underwater cam footage from a guide on the st lawrence filming a muskie following a 'bk' rig. The muskie follows the bait for some time and makes numerous attempts to hit the spoon. Really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree with Ivan.... Large spoons behind believer or grandma..... Productive setup. Lol, have not heard it called 'Bk' rig before. That is funny. We have always called it a tandem set up. Caught quite a few fish on this set. There is underwater cam footage from a guide on the st lawrence filming a muskie following a 'bk' rig. The muskie follows the bait for some time and makes numerous attempts to hit the spoon. Really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you for watching!  :)

BK rig, or Berger King rig as we call it, comes from the founder of the 1000 Island Bait shop, Dave Berger. Dave is credited with using this tandem set up and teaching a bunch of us how effective a Musky rig it can be. 

The BK rig has been modified by every angler that ever put one together since. 

One of the all time favorites aboard The Waterwolf is..the 8 inch Believer, followed by a C90 Williams Whitefish spoon. 

The last few seasons our "hot" bk rig has been a 7 inch Swim Whizz,  in St.Lawrence Frog pattern, leading 14 inches in front of a PapaDoc spoon. 

To get back to the original posters question...

The larger/heavier spoons like the #19-#20 tony accettas, and 9 inch Drone spoons we use, will troll at up to 5-6 mph before losing action. 

The lighter/ smaller spoons like the Williams Whitefish, Doctor spoons, and BK rigs, seem to have better action below 4 mph. 

We still use the underwater camera, and one thing I would like to point out is...

What WE THINK, is good action on any rig, might not always be WHAT A MUSKY THINKS....

As was evident one day when an experimental spoon was spinning out of control on the camera, and before we could slow down the boat, or pull the rig and change it...a 49 inch musky came up and CRUSHED IT!  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

iiwhisterii,

We have released seven 53"s and one 54" over the years. Two of those are from the Larry.  My personal best (heaviest) is a 53"x25" caught on the BK rig...nothing huge by St Lawrence standards, but still a very nice muskie. My goal is a double nickels that weighs 45lb plus...still looking for her and don't really care if I reel her in or not.  Just want to get her for the boat.  Actually, I hope my dad gets her.  I really want to get it from the Bay too....that place is really TOUGH, and I think it would be more rewarding there than anywhere for me.  I'll have a couple chances at her this fall, but wish I got to spend more time on water with that potential.

I have not really used the Berger King Rig anywhere but the St Lawrence, although I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't work other places. 

Raavens underwater footage is awesome.  Love watching those.

I talked to Jim (Mr. Toothy lures) and he recommended Troll Devil (which is a longer version of the daredevil), Lucky Strike Canoe Spoon and Papa Doc by Doctor Spoons. He also mentioned several spoons that are no longer made: Ivanhoe and Swim Zag If you can find them used. He said the Canoe Spoon can be trolled up to 3 mph but the others are best at 2 mph or less.

None of them go very deep on their own so using an inline or snap weight will get them down. WIre line will get them deeper than braid and lead core may be worth trying. Just like any lure, you have to find the right  conbination of speed weight and line for for the aplication.

For colors his top choices are black and white or yellow with orange diamonds.  Back color of silver.

I have seen him have success with spoons when nothing else seems to be producing.

Edited by muskiedreams

I talked to Jim (Mr. Toothy lures) and he recommended Troll Devil (which is a longer version of the daredevil), Lucky Strike Canoe Spoon and Papa Doc by Doctor Spoons. He also mentioned several spoons that are no longer made: Ivanhoe and Swim Zag If you can find them used.

Swim Zag spoons have been very successful for us!

Both incorporated in a BK rig, and trolled alone off downriggers and with added weight trolled off the otterboards. 

They are not presently being made for retail sales.....Look for them in the near future though.  :lipssealed:

If you don't mind rigging / painting / dressing up a Swim Zag Spoon blank....Call Swim Whizz owner Matt Serbenski @ (269) 207-3550

I just talked to him about this, and made sure my order was covered  :P  He said he has enough for all calls.... :happy2:

After reading this thread last night , I whipped up a homemade bk rig using an xrap and a NK trolling spoon. Tried it this morning, along side the normal setups I have been using for pike successfully. Turned out to be a slow day for pike, but the bk rig took multiple small mouth bass up 4 pounds and at least 10 jack perch, I ran it off a rigger 10 to 30 ft down. Ran it slow enough that it only wobbled, and fast enough that the spoon was circling. Confident on a good pike fishing day it will be a deadly set up, thanks.

A08D194F-F97B-4E0F-8A00-A5B737FB2E0C-222

Looks good!

Next time you create one...try using a snap on both ends of your leader.  :yes:

That way it's easier to change leader lengths.  

You can experiment with different leaders, different combos, as well as matching/contrast color schemes....

I have a 6 inch solid orange Swim Whizz, with a 6 inch leader, to a green peanut fly, that the Coho salmon are loving, and a few kings took it as well. 

Thank you guys for all the great advice i know I've said it before but this is such a great place to throw ideas around and everyone is is very helpful to me I wouldn't have caught and released nearly as many fish with out yer help

I agree Brent - what a great group of musky guys we got going here. Really awesome to see and thanks again to all those who contribute.

Sent from Lake Ontario United mobile app