want to upgrade boat to a 24 or 26 thompson! but?

one guy told me the 24foot 8 1/2 beam thompsons are tippy!  is the 26 foot 10 foot beam thompson more stable in the water because its wider than the 24 81/2 beam? do the thompsons push thru the water instead of gliding on it? i hear a bunch of things about the boats but i really like them! they seem alot deeper then the sportcrafts! any input from the guys that own or have fished them is greatly appreciated! i own a 1997 fisher spectrum SD 19 foot alum.now! 4.3 mercruiser i/o!boat is great but in the big waves its nutzzz! need more room for sure!

All boats more or less push thru water rather than glide on it. Thats why they get such poor fuel economy. The Thompson is heavier than the aluminum boat you fish out of now and wont bounce has bad. Boats you are considering will handle Lake O's waves better than your body will. Just remember that their is no perfect boat. Good luck in your search

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a 24 weekender I have fished some heavy water with no trouble the head room is low ( I'm 6'4 ). I just added a foot to the roof the same boat in the fisherman version is tall but it has back to back seats where mine has table I fish with 3 plus me with room very good boats

All boats are compromises. for instance, the greater the angle to the V shape of the bottom of the hull, the smoother it will ride under power, but the more it will tip from side to side at trolling speeds. All things being equal, a boat with high sides and a heavy hardtop will have a higher center of gravity than a boat with lower sides and something lighter like canvas. Higher center of gravity means more "tippiness" than lower center of gravity boats (all other factors being equal). Higher sided boats also catch more crosswinds than lower sided boats and do not troll as straight (think sailboat effect) and will lean more to the side in rough windy conditions.

Weight is generally a good thing in a trolling boat, except for fuel usage, again a trade off. 

Generally speaking boats that make good trolling boats are heavily constructed, wide for their length, moderate to shallower deep-V hull form, mid height sides (with a full height transom - not a cut-out for an outboard), light weight tops, and low center of gravity. This style of hull form makes a good platform to which you can consider interior layout configurations like seating, engine boxes (or lack thereof) fish boxes, built in storage, etc.

For me, I find the high sided, high center of gravity Thompsons a bit tippy. But a good friend of mine has one and loves the closed in feeling and warmth the hardtop provides in cold weather. He doesn't fish in rough water so he doesn't really experience excessive rolling from the high center of gravity because he doesn't fish in rough water or high winds. For him the boat makes sense. Only you can judge if it makes sense for you, it may or may not. I do feel the wider Thompsons are a better balanced and proportioned overall trolling boat than the narrower hull versions, but you are committing to docking them in a slip.

I chose my current boat because seaworthiness was my most important concern. Because of my work schedule, I wanted something that could fish comfortably when I had time to fish, not necessarily when the weather was nice. I needed a hull that could provide a stable platform that I can solo fish in the snottiest of conditions; there are days I am the only boat fishing out of my harbor. All that seaworthiness comes from a unique hull shape that is not very fuel efficient - there's my tradeoff. But it has an enormous open deck, full height transom, no engine boxes, and what may be one of the lowest center of gravity among comparable sized boats. It's a no holds barred offshore fishing machine. It works for me, but it certainly imay not the right boat for say a family with a wife and kids.

Edited by John E Powell

I think John worded it very well. I own a 24 Thompson Fisherman and love the boat right now. Yes in some conditions it has exhibited some tipsiness, These conditions have been in waves over five feet and we should have probable called it a day before the conditions reached this level. I really like the high sides and full transom. I bring some young fisherman on board and this adds to the safety of my trips.

Good luck in your decision.

I chose my 18 ft Whaler for the same reasons John mentioned I can stand on the gunwales without the boat tipping even slightly (and I'm 200 pounds :lol: ).

Specific hull design is an important consideration depending on the use you're going to give the boat.  I think the fact that there are a lot of Thompson's still around may say something about their sea worthiness.

Edited by Sk8man

I just want to know what kind of boat John E Powell is fishing in? I want one of those lol!

Looks like a whaler.  I think he said it had twins!  Not sure if he meant women or motors. :rock:

Edited by Chas0218

Looks like a whaler.  I think he said it had twins!  Not sure if he meant women or motors. :rock:

They call it the 27 whaler, but like some boats of that era it's quite a bit bigger than a new boat labeled that size today. It's really the equivalent to a 29-30' hull. Her current power is twin 225 Evinrudes, but I'm planning an upgrade prior to retirement to twin 300s. 

Yes even my 18 is that way. I had a guy do a new acrylic mooring cover for my Whaler a couple years ago and he quoted me the price over the phone without actually seeing the boat.  I later left the boat off to be done and when I came back for it he said "man...you got me price wise on this job....that boat is the size of a 20 footer". :lol:

• 3 months later...

I've had my 22 Revenge for trolling the lake for over twenty years and will probably run it for another twenty, it's indestructible. The fifteen Sport is beat to death every day spring through fall by my wife and kids on Braddocks Bay and it has been fantastic. Can't beat Whalers for safety and durability. post-150305-14195412567236_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had my 13 ft Sport Whaler for over 22 years and sold it for $300 more than I paid for it and it was near the middle of Lake O more than once back when I was a little younger and more foolish than I am at this point in life....at one point one of the big ocean going ships out there had a 23 ft  Whaler "dingy" and the guys on board just looked at me and scratched their heads in disbelief :lol:  It survived 10-12 ft waves in a big storm once too and the guys on the pier at Sodus Point were cheering me on when I came in the channel because the 30 ft boats were struggling to get back in.....a Whaler is the only boat I'll ever own after that experience.

Despite the 'name hype', Whalers really aren't that great of a boat. Not anymore at least. Just like any other Brunswick built boat. Same as a bayliner... not saying much. Grady, Pursuit, Regal, Tiara, some of the last few privately owned boat makers that give a darn about their boats, their owners, and the dealer/service relationship that is conducive to not only address and fix problems, but do so on their own dime. My best buddy from high school manages all service and new boat readiness at the largest marina/dealer on Lake Erie - top 3 dealer for Yamaha, and top 5 dealer for Pursuit, Tiara, Grady, etc. He can tell you some horror stories about Whaler both in their products and their organization. Amazing that they can still get people to pay the absurd prices for their boats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FleetTracker

Does anyone have a ProLine? Years ago at a show I stepped on a 25' walk around with a 10'6" beam (IIRC). I'm 6' tall and could stand upright in the cabin which had a full shower and toilet in the head. A beautiful boat!

Despite the 'name hype', Whalers really aren't that great of a boat. Not anymore at least. Just like any other Brunswick built boat. Same as a bayliner... not saying much. Grady, Pursuit, Regal, Tiara, some of the last few privately owned boat makers that give a darn about their boats, their owners, and the dealer/service relationship that is conducive to not only address and fix problems, but do so on their own dime. My best buddy from high school manages all service and new boat readiness at the largest marina/dealer on Lake Erie - top 3 dealer for Yamaha, and top 5 dealer for Pursuit, Tiara, Grady, etc. He can tell you some horror stories about Whaler both in their products and their organization. Amazing that they can still get people to pay the absurd prices for their boats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Same as a Bayliner? OMG I just snorted my diet coke out my nose!

Let's see, neither you or your "best buddy from high school" own a whaler, nor may ever have, but hey, he works for a top 5 dealer of "Pursuit, Tiara, Grady, etc. " [etc - apparently a few more makes too numerous to list]...

I'll tell you what. Go buy a big boat farm any of the manufacturers you listed and do this to it:

Or this:

Or this:

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/JRWJR/media/Misc%20pics/Dumptruck_72.jpg.html

Or 22 tons of steel tracked dozer:

http://www.albertgrouplandscaping.com/Portals/87730/images/fiberglass%20boat%20bulldozer-resized-600.JPG

Maybe you or your best buddy from high school can provide some actual proof, not here say, about all the "horror stories" surrounding Boston Whaler products?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by John E Powell