want to upgrade boat to a 24 or 26 thompson! but?

Used to have a brand new 250 Outrage on Erie. Boat had a lot of plumbing and electrical routing problems that you would not expect on that caliber of boat. Nothing that the dealer or company would own up to and take care of.

You don't have to like it... but talk to anyone big (like my best buddy from high school) in the high end boat business and you'll find its true. They don't carry Whaler for a reason. But they do work on a whole lot of em!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FleetTracker

Too funny...

Your own profile says you currently own a 17' tracker.

I'm pulling out the BS meter and calling it like I see it.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by John E Powell

Haha whatever makes you feel better man. I did buy a tracker after moving here along with a Penn Yan and fish the crap out of em. Was not meant to insult or start a back and forth, but more informative as the thread was intended. Looking back that's my fault though - Whalers do not belong in the conversation with those other boat manufacturers; there really is no comparison.

I'll PM you his #, feel free to give him a call and you'll be entertained for hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FleetTracker

Whalers are not known for a smooth ride I have ride on a half dozen of them varying in sizes and they ride rough but very stable. I like my old 81 proline and my father in laws 92 and 99. They are all solid boats even when we tried to sink mine and his 92. Obviously not on purpose but mine was a mechanical error. His was from anchoring of the rear while fishing and allowing the ball of the boat to fill up. It was intentional as anchoring from the rear cleat doesn't allow you to sway like it does of the front.

Either way you can't go wrong.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

I have the boat you are speaking of. The boat handles rough water well and I do like that it is a deep hull. My boat has a soft top not the hardtop. When trolling in rought water it does tend to get pushed around more than other boats. Some would say it's like a giant bobber. But I feel it fishs well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Whalers were made in Rockland Mass till the 90's and were top quality hand made boats. They were purchased by Brunswick and the operations transferred to Lakeland Florida. They became a little more mass produced. Either way they are incredibly stable and safe. Go to any seaside town and its Whaler city.

The hull design of 17's and under is for stability, hence a little stiff. The ride of 18's to 27's can't be touched and is completely dry.

Bob Dougherty, a great Whaler engineer started Edgewater boats in the 90's and they are incredible boats.

Whalers last forever. They don't need stringers and transoms like many local boats here do every ten years.

Most of the previous comparisons made in this thread are silly. Like comparing BMW's to Dodge minivans.

Edited by whaler1

I was fortunate to be on the Boston Whaler Tournament team from the late eighties to the mid 90's. We fished the top tournaments in the northeast and mid Atlantic. Spent many a day 100 miles offshore in snotty weather in a 27 foot boat. I wouldn't think of being offshore in any other boat of that size.

Also enjoyed participating in sea trials of all the Whaler models. The things they did to those boats and the conditions they did them in were nuts. No wonder why the U.S. Military used them to the degree they did. Shoot them full of holes and no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You jogged my memory of this video of a whaler hull being used for 50 cal target practice. The Whaler doesn't sink, they tow it back to be reused another day for more target practice. Check out the hull closeup near the end of the video, hundreds of holes above and below the waterline.