Washington State Salmon & Steelhead Trip

I'm out on a vacation in Washington State fishing for King's on the Columbia River and Coho & Steelhead out on the Hoh, Queets, Sol Duc & Humptulips Rivers on the Olympic Penicila. I will give a report here starting Saturday night on how we do.We will be out here for 3 weeks.

Capt Larry D Jones

Edited by mostlymuskies

Ditto to JT comment, it's day to day for my brother, he was able to make a local lake trip but went backwards to quick to make a Lake O trip, by all means get him out there, my blessings are with him to make this trip possible. Larry take care, I'm sure you will do your damn best effort for him. CANCER SUCKS!!!! PAP.

We started the trip out of the Kalama Marina on the Columbia River.We had 4 drive by's,2 Kings (one 35 lbs) and a Coho.Then down river came a large ship with about 4 sheriff & 4 USCG boats and gave everyone a ticket that was within 25 ft of the unmarked channel.The ship passed by us a good 100 ft away, but we still received a $275 ticket for failure to move.The Kalama River was packed with Coho and people snagging them everywhere, did not want to be part of that combat fishing so we a headed for the Olympic Penicila.

Edited by mostlymuskies

We tried the Humptulips, Queets, Hoh,& Sol Duc Rivers, all were very low on water and no fish were in yet.So we took a ferry from Port Townsend to Witbey Island and over to the Skajit River.We caught steelhead & Dollyvarden, but no salmon.This morning we hit Possession Point for sound trolling with the Spin Doctors we brought with us.

Edited by mostlymuskies

mostlymuskies..... The whole west coast salmon fishery has been impacted by the drought which has most heavily affected California but also Oregon and Washington. Kings are hanging tough but the cohoes have been placed into threatened category in Cali. Mostly because water flow levels have been low due to low water at their entrances to the Pacific. Which almost completely seals off with silt many of the rivers. Not enough rain (snow) far inland into the mountains. Major flows like the Sacramento and Columbia still are good enough for kings, but it has even been tough on steelies as well. Fish can't get up to spawn and others like steelies to eat the salmon spawn. Hopefully this will be a wetter season coming to re-energize the anadromous salmonid fisheries in the west. Is there a way to import water from the drenched east to the parched west......?   :P  One key to everything is balance.........BTW, you are totally right about how really good the flavor of salt water grown salmon is compared to freshwater only lived fish...... :yes:

Edited by panfisher

Today the Coho showed up off Possession Point,fishing was very good early this morning when we caught 3 right away that were 7 to 8 lbs each.Most boats caught 2 or more Coho early.Then the wind turned East and it was like a switch was turned off.One guy reeled a nice 14 to 16 lb Coho up b to the boat,But he only got the head a sea lion got the rest.Rain for the next couple days will help move fish in to the glacier fed rivers that already have decent water flow.