Seneca 9-13

Started out right at sun up and headed north. Set up shop about a mile south of savern headed south. Ran 2 riggers, one at 60 and the other at 75 and four dipsys. Wasn't long and my father was into a great brown followed up shortly after with a decent laker. Went 4 for 4 with two salmon and two lakers and called it quits around 9:30 once the laker kicked up. The brown took the flt spoon pictured on the 60 rigger and the laker came on an atommik green crinkle off the 220 diver. Short but fun morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-154473-14106353916124_thumb.jpg

Edited by FishSlime9

I originally had it down as a salmon and that was my first thought. Iron Duke sent me a message and made a good case stating it was a brown. Now I'm all screwed up. Haha

If you look at joes fish, the salmon, although everyone states a square tail is a brown, its true but also incorrect, as the salmon get larger they lose the v in the tail and squares out. They still have a resemblance in appearance at first look. The spotting and coloration is also different. The browns will turn golder this time of year where as the salmon will start to color up on the bellies with a red/pinkish hue. Again look at the jaw bone and even the dorsal fins on these fish are entirely different. Every year in finger lakes tournaments Brown's, salmon and bows all get mixed up in the wrong categories. One year here a few years ago, a guy placed 4th in brown category with a bow.. .

Regardless a beautiful fish Pat! Few more weeks and well all be watching the guy with the outboard fish!

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-145590-14108226271991_thumb.jpg

post-145590-14108226548733_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the lesson Nick. Those two are always difficult to differentiate from. He gave my dad a fight like a salmon that's for sure. This is a good reference to use going forward.

excellent info from lakebound88 on that. the end of the jaw is always the dead giveaway when you see them next to each other youll always look to that first.  another good tell is the spots a browns will be well defined and round no matter where they are on the body.  With an atlantic as they get lower on the body nearer the mid line they tend to be more slash like and rough edged more marks than spots.  Back in the 80s we (an uncle of mine ) would always tell guys to look for the X's in the spots once you key into it you'll see it every time. 

Potatoes potatos ... Beautiful fish anyways I could be wrong but im willing to put my name on the line that fish is a brownlock lol.. Sorry guys if im wrong but in my years of experience that is a brown

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

First off, nice job and nice looking fish! 4-4 in a couple hrs is a good day any day, and fishing with your Dad just makes it that much better.

As for the species of the fish in question, I am gonna have to say Landlock. It looks to me like the jawbone is missing and it closely resembles either, but looks to me to be a landlock. Less spotting below the lateral line, and the shape of the the fish from head to back. Browns are almost "hump backed" and landlocks are almost flat along the back. Landlocks tend to shed scales much easier also. Like Nick said, those 2 get confused quite regularly, and the jawbone is about the surest way to settle it. Looks like the jawbone rested just short of the back of the eye to me. If so, that also says landlock.  As mentioned, nice fish either way, and a good trip all around.

Looking forward to coming down to seneca soon for perch.have they started yet?I heard last fall was great through the whole winter to. :)  :) :smile:  

PS do you guys use floracarbon much for leaders. The water up here is probably clearer than down your way.

Edited by john1947