fishfinders

depends on what you are fishing for,amount of room you have for the f/f,if you want a stand alone or one with gps and if they except a lake map chip.all the top manufactures make quality products,you need to do the research and see who makes a unit with the most features and biggest screen size in your price range.also,do alot of shopping,you can save yourself some money.if you are salmon/trout fishing lake o,you dont need the down imaging,you are better off getting one with 50/200 mhz split screen.if you have the room,you are better off with a stand alone unit.i bought a sitex svs-750 dual frequency that i am very happy with that was close to your price range.

Don't mean to hijack, but does anyone think the lowrance chirp is worth the money? Also the elite-7 is more expensive than the elite-5 but is it worth it for 2 inches? Thanks

I do not know about the chirp but yes the2" is worth the extra money I love mine

Question, is the 2" worth the extra money?

Answer, I wish my 12" unit had 3 more inches (and my 8" unit had 7 more inches)...

The original poster only mentions fishfinder, not a multi function GPS/fishfinder/radar display type unit so sticking to the question as presented, the latest technology in fishfinders are units that use CHIRP technology. Last year when they first started to appear on the market, I recall the Raytheon Dragonfly received good reviews and so did the Garmin units (I can't recall the model numbers offhand). Im sure you have more options today.

Edited by John E Powell

I also agree the Lowrance Elite 7 is a good bet.  But if you can find a used HDS 8 (Gen 1), that might be a better bet.

The 2" is critical, it basically adds 50% more screen.  You will want this when you split screen to GPS and Sonar.  If you split screen the 5", you aren't left with much. I am selling my 5" and getting an HDS 7 Touch soon. Can't wait.