'Ike Jime' - Preparing Fish

EsoxAC3

A buddy of mine told me several months ago that he bleeds all of his fish. Well, anything larger than a perch that is. Anyway, It is supposed to make a significant difference in quality and preservation of meat. Sure enough, I read up on this 400 year old Japanese method of killing and bleeding fish, tried it, and WOW what a difference in fish color, texture, and taste. Does anyone else practice bleeding or ike jime prior to preparation? I know salmon are commonly bled. Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3

Shipmode,

In short, bleeding fish can be accomplished by cutting the dorsal and ventral arteries. A cut under the gills to the back bone will initiate blood flow. Then place the fish in water and allow it to bleed out. Once bled out, place on ice as soon as possible. Try it. You wont be disappointed:)

Google IkeJime for some great info on this topic.

Tight Lines.

Esox

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

When I get back to dock and preparing to clean fish I take a pair of scissors and cut the gills on, each side. I, put fish back in, live well to bleed out. Fillet texture is good and no blood in fillet. Been doing it this way for years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The white stuff you see gelatenizing as it is cooked is the blood you didn't get out.  When I am too lazy to bleed out the fish or someone gives me a fish not bled out I remember why I do it.  Gills is a great way to do it and very easy.  If you are aware of the anatomy, behind the gills up in the fish cavity is the artery that will remove the most blood the quickest.  I like to do panfish to when I can. 

Ive always filleted them alive and hosed em off...similar, but Ill try kevins way. Ill do 1 each way and throw each in a pan and taste test.

Not a fair test you would be a tad bias ....... give me a yell I'll test taste them for you...... you may have to do up 3 or 4 pounds so I can be totally fair and sure............ :lol:

Here is a quick video of a fisherman ike jime-ing a perch. Ike Jime is the most humane way to kill a fish(instant death) The reduced stress on the fish during death results in better quality meat. Interesting process. All fish in Japan and many other areas of the world are prepared in this manner. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Hu69wC75E&feature=emb_logo

For trout and salmon I've made a complete slit under the gills to the back bone and leave the fish in my large net in the water until I don't see any blood coming out of the fish and immediately put on ice in the cooler...seems to work OK

EsoxAC3......Instant death.....? Doesn't look like it from that perch!   :P I guess, to me, bleeding out sunnies and perch sounds like a lot of work (like hand scaling...which I have done often :no: ). They taste great to me un-bled. I also have had no issues with bass and walleyes, save for the occasional "muddy" flavor in bass, which is due to a different chemical situation then blood. I think I would definitely try it on bigger salmonids though.....taste testing for verification...... ;)