Released my largest Chautauqua toda

Not a numbers weekend but a couple big bites. Cold front has water temps down to 67/68. Bad algae in some spots. A hunting buddy of mine that fishes with me once a year, netted this 53"er for me today. Caught on one of our magic Wileys. Still in shock over this beauty.

post-150846-14107373796869_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Ivan

Awesome fish.  I drove across the causeway on my way to Erie yesterday and the channel between the north and south basin looked like radioactive waste it was so green/chartreuse.  Water temps seem to be falling quickly over the last week, it will be interesting to see how things shake out this week and next.

Adam

I saw you running on plane early in the day on Sunday. You got a  very nice  fish congratulations.  We got five on Sunday and lost one other half way to the boat. Nothing huge. Biggest was 41. All fish were nice, fat and healthy.

Any chance you could share a photo of that " Magic Wiley"?  All our fish on Sunday and the prior week came on shad style baits. Keep running the fat bodies but don't seem to catch as many fish but I know they work for others.

Hey wet the net. What boat are you in? I remember seeing a Ranger 600 series trolling when i was running sunday morning.

Dont have a pic of the bait and not sure id put that online anyway. Hope you understand. Sounds like you're doing pretty well and are probably running alot of the same baits i am. What i mean by magic is the bait is catching fish and big ones. It isnt about color, the bait is just unique or special. Even though we have too many baits, I try to run ones that have produced for me in the past...my consistent ones. Just need to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, That was me.  I have a black Ranger 621.  I agree on the confidence baits for sure.  

I was wondering about your kicker motor. I have a 9.9 prokicker and it almost runs at full throttle to push my boat at 4.5 to 5 in a little wind. Was thinking about upgrading to a bigger kicker because I find myself trolling with the big engine.  What HP is your kicker?

Anyone else trolling for musky in a 621? What size kicker are you using? I don't thing the 9.9 is enough for high speed musky fishing out of a 621

Wet The Net, Is the prop on your kicker below the hull when it is running?

I have a 15hp 4 stroke Evinrude on my 18' Grumman (aluminum boat with 75hp main motor and 3 batteries in the back) and at that speed I am less than half throttle. I think it will go about 10 mph at full throttle.

It seems like a 9.9 should be sufficient. If the prop is running low enough, maybe going to a higher pitch prop would help.

My dream boat right there. I can imagine the weight of a 21 foot glass boat makes high speed trolling with a 9.9 pretty impossible. I heard most of the boats on the pmtt run a 15 for that reason. Even the 9.9 on my crestliner tournament 192 takes way more throttle than I'd like to do 5 mph so I'd guess your 621 would def need more motor to do it comfortably.