Big shoot this morning

After a poor day on the lake yesterday we hit the goose field today. We had an outstanding day finishing with 71 birds. We pulled the plug 4 short of the 5 man limit with birds still working the field. What a great way to spend a morning. I'll post a picture with the full crew when I get it but here ias a photo with three of us. Gabe's dog Bailey once again did a wonderful job. 

post-144887-0-56854800-1410885276_thumb.jpg

I really can;t take much of the credit as my friend Gabe is the goose whisperer..Great decoys, calling, and dog. He actually found another bird making 72!  I cleaned a bunch and even saved the legs and thigh meat. I use them in lots of ways that are pretty tasty. I  brine and smoke some breast,  make jerky in the dehydrator, grind and mix with pork and make loose Italian and breakfast sausage. I also like to grill the small ones using a rub and cooking to med rare. I take some to a local shop and have them made into ring bologna and sticks. None ever go to waste.. . . 

WOW, that's a pile of birds, my cousins grind them up and make hot pepper sticks with them. They are pretty darn good, I tried to make the breast meat like a turkey and like JT mentioned it was terrible, used the other one for coyote bait and they didn't want it either. At least that will be 72 less birds $hitting on the sidewalks down in Allentown Pa. They have a real problem with them down there. Good job Kevin!!!!

Edited by pap

Yeah I tried roasting them also Not Good Shot three in my life and every one I cooked was terrible. First two i thought was me. Never hunted for one since. Glad to hear someone knows how to cook them. I sure if they made better table fare there wouldnt be so damn many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Nice pile!  My friends and I in PA have been doing pretty well so far.  First day hunt we got 58 with one band.  We're now up to almost 150 for the early season but only one with jewelry. 

We also do the sticks with the meat at a local processor we know.  Taste delicious and you wouldn't know it was goose unless someone told you.  The other way I like to do them is goose fajitas.  Marinate breast in fajita marinade and throw on grill to get a nice char.  Take off and let them rest, then slice thin as possible and served with normal fajita stuff.  Tastes great!

Edited by IUP30

I have no doubt any meat can be made into snack sticks, but Im too cheap. I will say it would be worth the money for the day Kevin had!!!!! If im gonna pay ill buy pork! I make all my own sausage etc. and I got sick of trying recipes that I didnt like (my family liked less) and felt I had to eat after all the work. I get more than ample venison and its very easy to come up with tasty recipes.

Tile Man Dan

When I was 14 I went out and got a couple nice geese and took the time to pluck them the way my grandma did turkeys. I roasted them with bacon strips over them and they looked beautiful. We had a big family meal and it was the ONLY time Ive ever seen my grandma throw away food. We ate the bacon and the sides...nobody took a second bite.

When I was 14 I went out and got a couple nice geese and took the time to pluck them the way my grandma did turkeys. I roasted them with bacon strips over them and they looked beautiful. We had a big family meal and it was the ONLY time Ive ever seen my grandma throw away food. We ate the bacon and the sides...nobody took a second bite.

Its funny because it is true.  I tried several somethings that ended up in the garbage.  Sometimes it is important to know what not to do.

Justin. That is the only time i didnt eat what I killed. To this day i will not ever kill another goose. I am happy to hear that those that do shoot them that they found a way to utilze them. Im not a big jerky making guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Give this a try:

Goose Balls

Slice 2 breast fillets lengthwise into 3 strips

Cut those strips into 5 or 6 equal size bite size cubes

Place your 30 or so cubes on a flat cutting board or plastic surface

Use a macerator (see pic) and puncture the cubes twice, the second pass at 90 degrees to the first

Mix em up and repeat

Give them a generous dusting of garlic salt and pepper.

Cut a slice of bacon in thirds, then cut each piece lengthwise in half

Wrap each cube in a bacon slice and skewer, leaving a little space.

I break the bamboo into smaller kabobs of about 5 pieces.

Wrap tightly in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Allows spice to permeate meat)

Grill on high heat, hitting all four sides to char, but DO NOT OVERCOOK. When bacon is done, so is the goose.

You will be amazed at how good this simple, cheap recipe tastes without trying to make the meat taste like something it isn’t.  Be sure to eat while hot.  Ours don’t make it far away from the grill!

post-156305-0-13824300-1411000865_thumb.jpg

Goose can be amazingly good if prepared properly. I grill goose breasts from juvenile birds in the early season.. That's one of the keys, nice and tender. I use a recipe I found on this site or ducks.org called "flying prime rib" . A simple overnite marinade and grill to rare. For ducks , I just tried a recipe off this forum called "OMG duck kabobs". Amazing flavor.

Waterfowl can be as good as a venison backstrap out of a fawn, when prepared correctly with a good recipe.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/recipes/flying-prime-rib

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/recipes/duck-kabobs

Edited by pro-fish-n-c

I've also made them into Rumaki. Cut into 1 1/2 squares and slice in the middle (not all the way through). Put a sliced water chestnut in the slice and wrap in bacon held with toothpick. Marinate in Teryaki sauce  and then fry until bacon is browned. Everyone loves it. I think the reason oose has a bad reputation is it was poorly prepared. If it's over cooked it gets tough, dry, and livery. I agree with bottom-feeder I really like it and there are many ways to make it very tasty .It's also free range like most of our diet.