Otisco Crappie update

justtracytrolling

My contact at the DEC that visited our walleye event stopped to see me Monday at camp. He wanted to share the recent gill net survey info they collected...Thanks for the visit BTW. I have posted a few times this summer that we have a good population of crappie under my dock all day everyday, but I was told they found excellent numbers of crappie on the pond side in many areas. My deck overlooks this area and I can positively tell you nobody is targetting these crappie. So if anyone is interested in crappie on water that is easily fishable from a small canoe on all but the nastiest days pm me and Ill be happy to help. These crappie love the turbid water and they stay in shallow water all year 8' or less. We havent caught many big crappie keepers are no prob and we usually get a couple decent 12-13 inchers.

Just thought here is some sought after fish and nobody is fishing for them! I just walk over and get $3 bucks worth of minnows and drop em off my dock when i want em, but there is plenty out there. The dock is private to clarify. The pond side of the causeway is an untapped resource....wait till you see the eyes Im gonna pull outta that turbid water soon...there is plenty of water even in a small lake...just have to fish! Making solid contacts with the DEC techs through the angler diary program has made a difference in my fishing. Ive definitely learned a few things I never would have come up with, and in turn I help them in anyway I can. It was fun to compare where they did the best with gill nets and shocking with where I caught the best. When you put the scientific data (oxygen levels, survey data, etc) with my catch data it paints a clear picture of what happened this summer. Its been a very difficult year to fish Otisco if you tried what worked in the past...no matter how good you think you are Otisco will make you earn em. Tough fishing makes a better angler!

Yes plenty are caught from shore near the cut in the causeway. Ive seen smaller ones caught off the dock. We did a 36ish fish last night on a f18 in the main lake. Clarity is crystal...id recommend the south end.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app