Early scrape?

Kevin J Legg

community scrap. I've seen active scraps in april, scouting for turkeys. Does, fawns, bucks. They will all visit a scrap just to see who is in the area. I found one last year in September, that was the size of a car hood. camera showed several different does and bucks visiting thought the season, but not much action during the rut. Gotta love chasing whitetails! 

I've seen scrapes this early before.

Swapped the sd card from one of our cameras last weekend, we have mutiple pics of a palmated 10 about 2-3" past his ears.

Another 9 with double brows, LOT of mass, maybe 16-17" wide, and a 2 1/2 year old 10 pt, plus a pile-o-4's and 6's.

My son is mighty excited about these findings, seeings how they were taken on a runway about 20 yards from one of his favorite stands.

Natural funnel right there, now that the beavers are back.

Deer scrape all year round--especially in the aforementioned "community scrapes". I have pics of a buck working a scrape the first week of July.

Your "early" scrape doesn't mean an early rut either. It happens the same time every year. It just means that there are deer in that area that are communicating with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Deer scrape all year round--especially in the aforementioned "community scrapes". I have pics of a buck working a scrape the first week of July.

Your "early" scrape doesn't mean an early rut either. It happens the same time every year. It just means that there are deer in that area that are communicating with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Paul is right on with his post. I have a couple of spots that are historical community scape sights and they seem to be open all year. Year after year in the same spot also.

I have been out hanging stands and poking around a bit, haven`t seen any scrapes.  I enjoy following a blog by Robert Hoague.  He is on Bowhunting.net.  One of his recent blogs deals with when bucks start making scrapes.  (Blog is dated Aug. 27)  I realize he is in a different part of the country, but still worth reading.

I have a fresh tree rub on my property in Almond. Post a pic later looks like an early rub line I think the cold nights in the southern tier have em roudy. We also have a bumper acorn crop that gets them ruttin early down there.

Yes love this time if year!!!

We see rubs as well, same spots they hit year after year.

Going back over there on Sunday to attend to the last of the branches in the lanes, move one hang-on, set up our tent ground blind for gun season, and generally give things a good look over.

We won't return to that property until the afternoon of 10/4...........and if we have some luck, we'll be pulling venison back out to the trucks.