Trolling fly material

minion

I started tying my own flies this year made about 20 or so that were respectable. Question is how much material is everyone using I have been using about 5-6 inches .

Sent from my ADR6350 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-154185-14111730513445_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the straw tip I just been using post it notes works pretty good . And I'm not sure if its addicting or not starting to wonder if it was worth the few dollars a fly saving and just make my own leaders instead of buying rigged

Next question what kind of glue do you use for the string on the heads. I found some water proof super glue stuff at a craft store. I have read people use head cement. Is that the same as contact cement ?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

pic #1 These flies (resembling salt water flies are  a combination - the four at bottom are the tinsel Rob mentioned above and the two at top are some more expensive (and perhaps more durable material...jury is still out)

pic #2 flies also tied in reverse -  wild looking fly and one that is in stored condition with very small rubber band (used for looms or girls hair and sold at Michaels etc.) around it

I purposely make my flies a little larger and heavier to slow them down without slowing down the spinney or flasher noticibly (hopefully so the fish have an easier time connecting with it) and instead of using straw material I use sectioned (cut with scissors) aquarium airline hose. I use beads from craft stores - some metallic and some pearl or faceted etc. and 3D eyes (actually move). As Rob said it is really addictive.

post-145411-0-07114500-1418959875_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-00844100-1418959914_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Been looking for mt. Dew or a antifreeze green color material.... don't see any on purple taco or atommik any links or leads. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Contact Purple Taco directly. He has a lot of things that are not listed on the website. I would be very surprised if he doesnt have what you are looking for. 

Ya I sent him an email about a few colors and if he had some different heads and never got a response I'll try again .

So far I have been very happy with purple taco I received like 6 free yards last order

I can't remember where I got the heads from but they look the same as atommik just Google search trolling fly heads that's what I did and found them maybe siggs rigs ?