St Lawrence River Musky

Evening caught fish.....OK. From a novice (actually complete rookie afa targeting them) musky fisher, other members of the esox family seem to be mostly daytime feeders. Some of what I have read seems to say the same of musky. Is it unusual to come upon them  after dark? Or, like "grownup" people, do the big folks in musky land get to stay up late and remain active....? Are coming upon actively feeding muskie after dark an accepted game? Any difference in that regard between river (flowage) and and lake water fish?    :wondering:

Thanks for the acknowledgement Stew. It's been Two fish in two trips for you. That's awesome!! As you are already well aware of, the area of the St Lawrence that we fish on is not an area of numbers. It is a tough body of water to catch fish on. You never know how big the next one will be!

Capt Paul Corbett

post-139544-0-32005600-1412362852_thumb.jpg

Here is a huge fish my wife caught in the morning while we were leisurely having morning coffee on my birthday.

6 pound test line, ultra light setup, of course no steel leader. A real miracle.

august 4 th 2014

Edited by UPSTATE

UPSTATE.......That is......like........WOW!!! 6lb test. No leader. Fishing for bass probably. That is totally AWESOME! I say this in complete jest....Unless your wife (beautiful) is a midget, or you nicely Photoshopped.....that is a huge and fantastic catch under those circumstances. Not all the big ones get away.     :mmm:

Unless that was 54" it should of been released. Correct me if Im wrong on the 54 buts its way up there on the St Lawrence for minimum keeper size. NIce fish too bad it was killed. Nice angling feat on 6 lb test though.

The fish was released, the stringer was so I could put it in the water quickly after hook removal and between a couple  pictures. It was 54 inches. I was very worried about the fate of this grand animal given the light line and no cradle (or net for that matter). It swam away vigorously. We catch and release all fish except a yearly perch dinner around August. 

My wife proved her great angling skill on this day

Edited by UPSTATE

UPSTATE,

Im not being critical and believe you thought you were doing the right thing, but wanted to let you know that the use of a stringer is not allowed unless the fish measures the legal size.

This is the definition as per the fishing regs....

Catch and release means catching and immediately releasing the caught fish without harm. Measuring, weighing and photographing of the fish are permitted as long as the fish is not removed from the water for an extended period or handled in a manner that could cause it harm. Fish may not be placed in a bucket, tub, livewell, on a string or any other holding device.

This rule also implies that anglers by law must know how to handle fish in a manner that wont harm them if they remove the fish from the water and it doesnt measure.