Well, haven’t been out for 2 months so figured I better get out there before it’s over.  Launched at the river before sunrise.  Surprised that there were 4 trailers already out.  Water is low, as to be expected, but no problem putting in.

Some clouds towards the horizon, south wind, river temp 63F  19 guys on Summerville.  Couple on Charlotte.  Wove thru 8 boats hanging around the mouth.  Headed towards the deep sde of the pack.

This is what it’s all about.  Any day you get up & can see this, you know is going to be a good day….

9-20-14a_zpsd00eafdf.jpg

Anyways, stacked a 25 yr old green J-plug beneath a modified NK Mongoose at 17 down over 37 FOW and the old timer fooled this guy:

9-20-14b_zps54274aca.jpg

I had forgotten what a pain in the butt treble hooks are, but the mess in the net reminded me. 

Looked around and saw 37 boats hugging the mouth so decided to head towards the station running between 30-40 FOW.  Caught a little brown on the Mongoose and that was all.

Definitely colder on the west side of the piers.  Guessing the south wind was bringing it in.  I had 52 on the bottom in 30 ft.  Winds picked up around 9:30 so decided to head in.  I’m sure there was some cussing as 9 big ragboats were heading out.

Good luck to anyone still fishing.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Anyone who has been on a sailboat knows how hard they are to steer compared to a motorboat.If the sailboats are undersail I would give them alot of consideration  and do everything to avoid getting close.They are a wonder to ride in .I love fishing but sometimes it just gets to much to try and find people to who want to goSailing is a very quiet time..I might even turn to do more sailing then fishing next year.One thing the guys always talk about is how little fuel they use.Some of the bigger yachts use less than 40 gallons a year,wow.

This year I was over 250 with a full tank now..

makes you think ,

good fishing

Were boats hooking up at the mouth? Wondering how much longer salmon will be able to be caught there.

Absolutely yes.  Went 2 for 4 this am solo.  Boated a brown and 24 lb female king.  Lost a screamer.  Early on was hooking up nearly every pass by the piers.  Saw many hookups on other boats.  Should still be good for a week or 2.

Yes, quite a few being caught.

If the sailboats are undersail I would give them alot of consideration

Keyword being "undersail."   The lake's big enough for everyone.  Unfortunately, too many under power, with one or no sail up, think they own the lake and every one else has to get out of their way.  They don't realize it's also pretty hard to steer with a bunch of lines out, much more so when you have a screamer on.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

It's funny the sailboats I have seen in the past racing seem to make pretty darn tight turns to the marker bouys. They have the law on their side but common sense should rule too. If they see a boat trolling with a fish on they should make an effort and be courteous.

We were fishing a few years ago and a sail boat came up the lake and ran over one of  my buddies planner boards, the big ones off the mast. Me and another buddy were laughing. The guy that owned the boat was pissed for a while, until he calmed down. Then we all got a pretty good chuckle later.