Slugs for 20 ga 11-87

Miss em

Remington core-lokt ultra 20 gauge 2 3/4" sabot, expensive but deadly. Is the barrel a Remington factory barrel or an aftermarket barrel like a Hastings. Mine is Hastings and it shoots 1.5" groups at 100yds. Cheapest I have found them is about $17 / box, and they are extremely hard to find at least in our area.

I shot buckhammers for a some years till they DQed em. Now I shoot brennekee K.O. 1oz  2 3/4 inch with great results out of the same gun. I have 2 of them. One with open sights and one with glass. Once in a while you will get a flyer on paper. They put em down no problem, and they are 6.50 a box. I talked to brennekee myself and had got some good info.

Tried the SSTs and they were not great.  Tried a couple Federals, Winchesters, best so far was the Remington Accutips.  Not of ton of selection for the 20 gauges in the stores.  Like to get a hold of some Rem copper sabots, guess i'll have to order them.  Think I saw the brennekes at Bass Pro.  I'll pick up a box.

Edited by Miss em

Jeff,

I struggled for a few years trying to find a load that would shoot out of a Remington 870 20 gauge rifled deer gun for Marlene.  Made to shoot slugs.  I tried everything.  The best shooting slugs were the cheap rifled remington slugs that wal mart sells.  I couldnt believe it after spending countless dollars trying to find a straight shooting slug from this gun. Cortland Wal Mart has them. 

Edited by Tall Tails

My grandfather also shoots rifled slugs thru his rifled barrel and seem to be accurate.  It might be worth a try.  I shoot the Hornady SST and they fly great in my wifes 1187 also 20 ga.

Edited by Chas0218

I agree with misdemeanor as well. I have the same gun for my daughter and I have the 12 gauge. Had all kinds of problems with slugs and I started using the Lightfields and boy oh boy did they make a difference. My daughter has knocked deer down from 10 yards out to 80 yards and they haven't gone at most 30 yards before piling up. Me in the other hand just take head shots so they don't go anywhere. Getting to old to chase them down.

Jeff,

I always had the best groupings out of my remington rifled barrel with the copper solids. That being said my first barrel wouldnt shoot (like I wanted) and Remington gave me a new one and bingo. My barrel doesnt like fast slugs unfortunately. Of course that was 20 years ago, but I wouldnt settle with your barrel if you cant find a load...2" at 75 yds isnt great...i have a smoothbore that will do that easily. Every barrel is different...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-46-shotgun-slugs-sabots-and-smooth-bore-barrels/

Pretty awesome article looking at some of the common slugs types and accuracy of the round in smooth bore vs. rifled barrels.

I have shot a 20 gauge 11-87 for years and have always had my best accuracy with Remington Copper solids. That being said, one could make a case to use el-cheapo rifled slugs which aren't sabots even though you have a rifled barrel. 

Good luck,

Chris

You could probably use the cheapies but you better think long term. Most cheapies are made of lead and when **** through a rifled barrel the heat actually melts the lead slug which in turn starts to fill in the grooves of the rifling. That in turn will end up causing problems with inaccurate grouping.

I only know cause my dad has a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel and refused to pay the prices for sabots so he just shoots the sluggers through it and always wondered why he couldn't hit aanything. Took his barrels to a gun shop and ended up buying a Hastings due to the lead.

Most sabots are made from another type of metal except for Lightfields with there slugs being jacketed like a muzzlel loading sabot. I still have the barrel just to remind him that it doesn't always pay to be cheap. Its really no different than a rifle, how many rifle cartridges are there with a lead bullet. None that I have come across except for .22 rounds and the reason for that would be accuracy.

I can think of a 100 things we hunters waste money on from soaps to calls to camo patterns (i have most of the junk), but then I see the same guys go cheap on guns. scopes, and ammo or bows, sights , arrows, and broadheads. Id give up everything else before id give up accuracy and dependability.