Slugs for 20 ga 11-87

Miss em

I also have a 20ga 1187 with rifled barrel and use the hornady sst's and they pattern good for me. I have used the remington slugger and winchester cheapo slugs and found the winchester to pattern better.  But I found that shooting the cheap slugs I get about 3 shots that are good then they start flying all over so I have to clean the barrel and there is alot of lead fouling removed when cleaning then it shoots better for 3 shots of the cheap slugs.

I have used the sst's and do get longer between cleanings.

You won't ruin the barrel all you need to do is use a lead dissolving cleaning agent to remove the leading.  I use several different types and some can be bought at walmart.  Many don't realize you also have to remove the copper from the copper plated bullets or you will be in the same situation.  

I have seen guns so neglected the barrels looked like smooth bores I used some lead dissolving cleaning solution and a stainless brush (this was on a stainless barrel) and it looked like new. Don't get me wrong it took a while but it does work.

This questions get asked all the time

No right answer as every gun is different even if its the same make and model.

What shoots out of your buddies or Joe Shmoes isn't necessarily going to shoot out of yours.

Only way to know is try different brands and test them. Costly endeavor with shotgun slugs as they are expensive.

Another common mistake people make is shooting for groups to fast,that barrel heats up and accuracy goes to crap,plastic sabots and a hot barrel don't equal accuracy 

All this said, Lightfields usually give acceptable accuracy

I've spent hundreds of dollars testing slugs, learning trajectories and doping wind

12ga Browning A Bolt Federal barnes Expanders(discontinued but I have a good stash) 5 shot 3" group @ 200 yard 1090995az0.jpgimg1827qy1.jpg

Edited by dvdegeorge

I'll add to the agreement of Lightfields, that or hastings were the only ones I could get to shoot out of my old 500 with the Cantilever barrel. I have the new Savage 220 and the SSTs shoot best out of that but they don't agree with the cantilevers for some reason.

This questions get asked all the time

No right answer as every gun is different even if its the same make and model.

What shoots out of your buddies or Joe Shmoes isn't necessarily going to shoot out of yours.

Only way to know is try different brands and test them. Costly endeavor with shotgun slugs as they are expensive.

Another common mistake people make is shooting for groups to fast,that barrel heats up and accuracy goes to crap,plastic sabots and a hot barrel don't equal accuracy 

All this said, Lightfields usually give acceptable accuracy

I've spent hundreds of dollars testing slugs, learning trajectories and doping wind

12ga Browning A Bolt Federal barnes Expanders(discontinued but I have a good stash) 5 shot 3" group @ 200 yard 1090995az0.jpgimg1827qy1.jpg

Can't argue the Barnes expandables shot the best of any slug I've tried just went through my last box last year unfortunately.

I used to shoot the Barnes but the price kept going up so I grabbed 1 box of each type and the hornadys shot as well as my Barnes 3" with a lesser price.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

• 3 weeks later...

Without a doubt the best slug I have come across is the federal Barnes expander, they were discontinued and replaced with federal trophy. They grouped in the same hole at 50 yards. My daughter used them on her buck this year in 20 gauge and they work very well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app