Keuka 9-21-14

Launched out of Branchport fishing FLTA Club Tourney and ran way south setting up shop running riggers dipsys cores coppers and rigs... We were putting our first rig in the water and Matt who was putting rig down says we got one on already and we bring it up and find a nice 4 lb bow on the second liter down so in the box and feeling good about what this day could bring.... We get the rest of our gear in and not long after 200 copper takes off and we get about a 4lb laker to the boat then a bit of a slow time between our next fish.. The Lowrance is marking beautiful big arches down 75 to 100 but cant get any of those fish to go can only move fish in the top 55 for some reason... Threw everything in the book at those nice marks all day with no results. . We had a four fish box at around 15 pounds and were not feeling very good about it on the way to weigh in and we were visibly frustrated with our performance but knew that you cant finish good every time... We head to weigh in and to our surprise it seems like a slow day for most and end up pulling off the win and retaining the points lead.. Cant say enough about the guys that fish with me .. They never get down or get into a funk on slow days they always keep working at it and keep changing setups up or working riggers and rigs and changing speeds and so forth when we are working those lock Jaw fish and I'll tell ya what those little things have paid off numerous times this year... Great job to everyone who fished yesterday with all the wind and changing weather conditions. .. Sorry no pictures this week was sleeping at the wheel again .. lol

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Congrats Mike :yes: ...everyone really earned their fish yesterday.....tough conditions and tough bite for most. Here is what the water looked like for those of you who didn't fish :lol:

post-145411-0-89610000-1411394754_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Mike! The one thing that produces fish is being workhorses. You and your crew are freaking Clydesdales!!!

We did the same working those big arcs, lockjaw!!

Fished with a buddy and his 14 yr old, first timers.. they were great to fish with and ground it out with rain, wind and some slow fishing. Ended up 15 for 17 Mostly thin 15-18" Lakers, also one nice small mouth.

Great seeing everyone and a pleasure meeting you Les! Hope to see you all next weekend at B & B tourney!

post-150622-14113961393641_thumb.jpg

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congrats Mike :yes: ...everyone really earned their fish yesterday.....tough conditions and tough bite for most. Here is what the water looked like for those of you who didn't fish :lol:

Les you should have introduced yourself ... Sorry I missed the chance to meet you... John you had a great batch of lakers, one off fish and you would of had the win... Stick with it man your win is definitely coming....

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

Congrats Mike.

As they say in our club, way to drive the boat!

It was good to see several rainbows(5?)and a landlock showing up in the catch. That hasn't happened on Keuka in a long time.

Thanks Walt.. Yes I drove the boat well yesterday :D... Its was really great seeing those off fish.. We actually caught 2 bows yesterday released the smaller of the 2 to fight another day...

Mike

Yes Mike I fished with Jason Theresa and Scout :) We had a good time despite the conditions.  I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to connect...we were right under the gun time wise at the weigh in and it got kinda hectic there for a bit. Hopefully in the near future. Unfortunately I'll be in California during the next one on my home territory (Canandaigua). Your win really pointed up the importance of being persistent as well as being flexible in your approach with adverse conditions....My hat is off to you and your teamates for pulling off a good win. The general results also highlighted the fact that there is an over abundance of very small lakers in the lake....some of them took on lures half their size :) Likewise John (Nautitroller) and that was one heck of a smallie you had....rivaled many of the trout weighed. I think the general results also pointed up the difficulty of getting really big trout from Keuka these days (vs. the "old days") but I was also encouraged to see at least one nice landlock and a few rainbows. It probably also speaks to the fact that some very experienced and accomplished fishermen were at it.

Edited by Sk8man

Fishing was pretty tough on Keuka. We boated 9 out of 13. Lost 2 decent fish, One was off the bottom and was a real nice fish, but we lost both of them. The second fish probably would have made a big difference in our finish, at the very least was lunker. But you'll have that on occasion. As said here, the signs of off fish definitely was encouraging news for keuka.  In years past, that was a great fishery, and it would be nice to see it again, soon. Nice job with the win Mike, wasn't an easy day to say the least. You put up a pretty nice limit for the lake and conditions that day.  Judging by what les was saying about Canandaigua, sounds like it will be just as tough, or even tougher than Keuka.  We spent the night on the boat (notice I didn't say SLEPT) and by 1 am we were getting slammed around pretty good. We knew it was gonna be a tough day from there! Again, nice job to team Iron Duke with the win on a pretty tough day of fishing!

Oh, and as les said, we made the weigh in by 3 mins! Never have I pushed it that close! 

Ready for Canandaigua! 

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Fishing was pretty tough on Keuka. We boated 9 out of 13. Lost 2 decent fish, One was off the bottom and was a real nice fish, but we lost both of them. The second fish probably would have made a big difference in our finish, at the very least was lunker. But you'll have that on occasion. As said here, the signs of off fish definitely was encouraging news for keuka. In years past, that was a great fishery, and it would be nice to see it again, soon. Nice job with the win Mike, wasn't an easy day to say the least. You put up a pretty nice limit for the lake and conditions that day. Judging by what les was saying about Canandaigua, sounds like it will be just as tough, or even tougher than Keuka. We spent the night on the boat (notice I didn't say SLEPT) and by 1 am we were getting slammed around pretty good. We knew it was gonna be a tough day from there! Again, nice job to team Iron Duke with the win on a pretty tough day of fishing!

Oh, and as les said, we made the weigh in by 3 mins! Never have I pushed it that close!

Ready for Canandaigua!

Thanks Jason....Definitely was a tough fishing conditions and sleeping conditions it sounds like... Ya Keuka had a nice roll to her when we launched and knew we were in for some tough fishing... I've been keeping track of all the reports from Canandaigua and yes sounds like it could be tough but have also had some amazing fishing from over there that time of year but if the fishing is slow the scenery will more than make up for it.. I really think the last two tournaments are gonna be alot of fun and some really nice off fish will be brought to the scales... Cant wait looking forward to it....

Mike

Just a side note here, not to get us off topic but this story is not common. On our way home Theresa and I ran into a swarm of bees. I saw something like a cloud over the road, but had no idea what it was. When we hit it doing 65, it was like a water bomb went off! With our Windows down we got covered in bees and bee parts and guts. My widow was completely covered with a slime, and my grill and van were full of bees. Never seen anything like it. Hit a wall of bees! What a mess it made.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Scott good to hear that your boat ran well.... Jason that is quite the story wow!! I have heard of guys trolling out in the middle of lakes before and having swarms find their boats and hang out for a while but driving at 65 and right into it.. That must have been a huge mess..

Mike